Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Also you have to factor in that the team didn't play well, Our number 9 and 10 were awful and had a massive impact on the team.

It's never just one thing that dictates a result, be it attack a bit more, defend better etc. It can be a number of things that go wrong for a poor performance.

Most basic stuff in the world :lol:

Like KaKa said we simply dont have players to play a high line and press. That's actually even more basic.

Not a high line, higher line. More pressing, not gegenpressing. Getting more players forward, not all 11 rushing forward. Its basic as it comes, anyone can do it.

Do you both think we are playing in the absolute best way we can in our home games?

I guess I trust that the manager hasn't changed it at all, because he doesn't trust the players. Fair enough if you feel he should just give it a go anyway.

The only players on our team that I ever see making a concerted effort to close down consistently are Perez and Ritchie. Diame at times also perhaps. Otherwise it's just such a slow, unathletic and plodding team. I'm sick of the lot of them.

Most basic stuff in the world :lol:

Like KaKa said we simply dont have players to play a high line and press. That's actually even more basic.

Not a high line, higher line. More pressing, not gegenpressing. Getting more players forward, not all 11 rushing forward. Its basic as it comes, anyone can do it.

Do you both think we are playing in the absolute best way we can in our home games?

I guess I trust that the manager hasn't changed it at all, because he doesn't trust the players. Fair enough if you feel he should just give it a go anyway.

The only players on our team that I ever see making a concerted effort to close down consistently are Perez and Ritchie. Diame at times also perhaps. Otherwise it's just such a slow, unathletic and plodding team. I'm sick of the lot of them.

Well the way you're talking you're basically saying the manager can never be criticised for anything so its pointless discussing it with you

In the first half of the Championship season two years ago when we weren't doing too well Rafa was heavily criticized for being too negative especially at home. He refused to change anything and then publicly stated that he viewed it as important to establish a system at this club that all the players know off by heart, and to stick with that system instead of chopping and changing it (like a McClaren or Pardew would do). Come the end of the Championship season it turned out to be a walk in the park and he was proved to be right, and of course those criticizing him went a bit silent.

In the first half of last season, the same thing happened. We're struggling, our players look terrible and unable to match other PL sides, Rafa is refusing to change things, so some fans are on his back calling him shit and that he needs to be sacked. Yet again Rafa sticks to his guns, believes in the system getting the necessary results in spite of working with sub-standard players, and yet again turns out Rafa made the correct choice in sticking with the system he has faith in.

This season is probably going to be the third season in a row where this happens. The risk of this system/defensive mentality not working is greater this year because it's now the 4th successive transfer window where Rafa has been seriously screwed over and all other teams have had two summer windows where they've spent alot of money to improve their first team, which is a huge advantage. As frustrating as it is to see defensive football at home even in the FA Cup against in a lower league, I fully understand why Rafa is stubbornly sticking to his this system - he believes this system will get us over the line in terms of our most important objective, as it did in the past two seasons.

He could have not went with Joselu upfront on his own for 80 minutes against a shit championship team. Brought another forward on and we made it count pretty much straight away.

He's clearly prioritising survival and using the cup games to rest his key players. It might be annoying for fans, but a lot of clubs with much better squad resources than us do the same thing.

Having success as a manager is all about confidence and momentum. Mourinho had it when he arrived at Chelsea.. Klopp had it going to Liverpool, Pep certainly had it going to City.

And Rafa in a sense would have had that bit of confidence when he took over here.. and there was probably two occasions where we could have capitalised on this. Backed him when we got promoted which we didn’t, or at the very least back him after taking a shit heap to 10th.

Now in his final year, no signs of a change happening. The momentum has certainly been stopped and I’d say his confidence has taken a knock too. He’s never had to work with such a poor team in his whole career.

When he finally leaves this job, he should take a well deserved break from football. It’s clear this situation is affecting him.

Could he do any better with this squad? Probably not.

Could any other manager we are likely to get under the FCB do better?

Definitely not.

The key here is our squad. I don't fully understand who is responsible for recruitment, but our front 6 is beyond awful.  If Rafa picked out Murphy, Joselu and Kenedy, then he must shoulder some of the blame, but that may not be the case.

Painfully, I really miss the buy to sell policy. At least it go us some decent players. We now just seem to get the cut price dregs, and it's really hurting us.

But as long as we achieve 17th place, then it's mission accomplished as far as the FCB is concerned.

Until Ashley goes, we're never going to see anything better than the cheapest possible squad scrape survival season after season, and it's pointless.

If Rafa picked out Murphy, Joselu and Kenedy, then he must shoulder some of the blame, but that may not be the case.

I'd still struggle to blame him, Joselu was clearly a last minute role of the dice as he wasn't allowed to spend and had to bring someone in for that position.  Him or nothing, and nothing wasn't an option.  Kenedy looked a fuckin masterstroke last season, most people wanted him permanently in the summer...clearly capable but something's not right at the moment, probably the uncertainty of the club for one.  As for Murphy, no he's not great but I stand by my comments in the other thread, he's pretty much what 12million buys you these days....a nothing player.  We'd have been lucky if he was an average winger.

All my opinion of course, i just can't look past blaming the root cause for anything and everything that we are right now.

its also about what he's done for the city.

brought some dignity back the manager's role.

united the fanbase.

unfortunately ashley's manged to slowly start to undo the good rafa started. already split the fanbase.

Inter. Half a season. Didn't do great in the league. Won cup. Didn't appear to have backing. Balotelli sold in the summer. Asked his chairman to "back or sack" him. Got his wish.

I'm curious as to the exact pattern of misfiring neurons that makes you think this is relevant to the current situation.

He was there one entire transfer window man, spent fucking fortunes don't you know? Was sacked the day after winning a trophy as well, the useless FSW.

He's not beyond criticism, but anyone who thinks we could do better given his budget is mental. He's the only reason we have a fighting chance of survival.

Spot on in reality.

Absolutely. The bloke is being asked to produce Michelin starred meals with the equivalent of a tin of spam and a packet of dried Smash.

Has he made some mistakes; of course he is human. But he bares ZERO responsibility for our current position or short comings imo.

Our squad is gash pure and simple.

Why the fuck would he sign man :lol:

Just part of setting up the smear campaign for when he leaves.

If he got a phone call off Kenyon he might. Provided he could convince Rafa that a takeover was likely.

Why the f*** would he sign man :lol:

Just part of setting up the smear campaign for when he leaves.

If he got a phone call off Kenyon he might. Provided he could convince Rafa that a takeover was likely.

No, that makes no sense resigning before any takeover was concluded would be stupid on his part.

Guest chopey

Pr move to turn the fans against him, gives them chances to roll out the "we tried" line.

Never change you bunch of cunts.

So the club are desperate to spend the transfer war chest but can't if Rafa doesn't commit to the club ?

This Bishop bloke knows his stuff and it won't be long before the boo boys turn on Rafa,