Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest reefatoon

It's almost safe to openly criticise the guy, I can't wait. Not impressed.

Rafa has his faults & should not be above criticism but there is only so much he can do with this lot.

Well he could instantly make things better by not playing Joselu, but he just won't drop him.

He deserves criticism. Everyone just plays on the 'our squad is shit' and 'we've spent nothing' card.

He's in charge of the subs and line up - which is wrong almost every game now. Hoping he will see sense and drop Joselu + Manquillo + Diame.

Good job there's not long until the next game - can't deal with today it's  been shit in every sense.

This whole he’s doing the best with the squad available bullshit is wearing thin.

Will Hughes bossed the midfield today and cost 7.5 million.

Watford are nothing special in terms of superstars, they have none.

Yet they are an infinitely better team than ours.. first time this season where we haven’t been at the races at any point during the match. We’re putting effort in but there’s no style, no intelligence, no creativity..

I’m not going to single out selections because it’s stating the obvious.

This is about Rafa.. do we have to be so sentimental about someone likeable that we ignore that they’re not performing well at their job at this minute in time.

He needs to change things quickly.

This is a slump that will have us in bottom 3 by xmas

Rafa has his faults & should not be above criticism but there is only so much he can do with this lot.

Indeed. Picking Joselu and Manquillo and making Elliott number 1 goalkeeper however were not great ideas though.

Not sure that was his fault as Ashley wouldn't let us buy a GK. It was always either Blob or Darlow, much of a muchness them two like.

The GK they bought last season was absolutely hopeless.

That is true, i think someone on here already said that they don't think Rafa should be allowed to choose the GK to buy like  :lol:

Sels was a bad buy, Rafa will have those as all managers do (I actually think over his career Rafa has bought some shocking players), you just hope the next GK he buys is a Merino type of class player.

Even the best managers go through s**** patches. I think he's a good game day manager, tbh, but he has absolute stinkers from time-to-time.

But the last few weeks have been poor from him. This squad needs a competitive edge and his management has totally hindered that - Mbemba and Mitrovic issues in particular. Players are getting away with s**** performances week after week when there are equal alternatives for him to try.

I still think we'll be fine and our true form is somewhere between the great run we had and this s**** one, but he has to start taking action.

Our record without Lascelles this season doesn't look too clever...

I don't think we look that solid with Lascelles in the team either. We always look like we've got a mistake waiting to happen. I don't agree with Rafa's decision to stick with Joselu, but we are getting beat for the most part because we have very few quality players.

Err I think our defensive record with Lascelles in the team is markedly better for a reason.

No doubt, I'm saying I still don't think it's that good. I'm not convinced by either of the full backs so even with Lascelles back there's plenty of scope for defensive lapses.

Indeed. Picking Joselu and Manquillo and making Elliott number 1 goalkeeper however were not great ideas though.

Not sure that was his fault as Ashley wouldn't let us buy a GK. It was always either Blob or Darlow, much of a muchness them two like.

Krul.

Seems strange now, hindsight is marvellous like. Although Krul was on the slide as well.

Krul.

Seems strange now, hindsight is marvellous like. Although Krul was on the slide as well.

Krul in a wheelchair > Blobby.

Even if Mitro was upfront the result would have been the same Watford are so much better than us. Lascelles should be in the starting lineup manqillo is atrocious & the both keepers are not PL quality. It wasn't Rafa's decision not to buy a goalie. Like I said he has his faults and could have done things differently but that wouldn't have changed the result in our last 2 games. Benitez may be a miracle worker but today was out of his reach.

Guest neesy111

Don't think we'll be playing 4-4-2 again in a hurry. Absolutely all over the place at the back for last 135 mins of football.

Lascelles being out has contributed to that massively imo.

Aye, he's a massive miss.  Clark and Lejeune just don't look comfortable next to each other.

Krul.

Krul in a wheelchair > Blobby.

As it stands i still think Krul is the better GK than what we have. Opinions i guess.

Don't think we'll be playing 4-4-2 again in a hurry. Absolutely all over the place at the back for last 135 mins of football.

Lascelles being out has contributed to that massively imo.

Aye, he's a massive miss.  Clark and Lejeune just don't look comfortable next to each other.

Lejeune i willing to give time to, new to the league needing to settle in it (he's been very poor last two games mind). Clark is what i've always thought, a very good Championship defender but the Prem is a step too far and he'll cost you in the long run.

Lascelles seems to have taken to the Premiership really well and miss him badly.

Even if Mitro was upfront the result would have been the same Watford are so much better than us. Lascelles should be in the starting lineup manqillo is atrocious & the both keepers are not PL quality. It wasn't Rafa's decision not to buy a goalie. Like I said he has his faults and could have done things differently but that wouldn't have changed the result in our last 2 games. Benitez may be a miracle worker but today was out of his reach.

You can't state that with certainty, and while I agree they are better, that horrific Everton side that shipped five to Atalanta beat them, and brighton got a draw with them.

I can state with absolute certainty that any changes to the lineup would not have changed the results of our last two games. Although if this was football manager we could reload and find out.

Baffling why Mbemba was randomly frozen out and why he insists on flogging a dead three-legged Spanish horse up top. Too slow to make changes today too.

That said, if we'd backed him we'd potentially be doing as well as Watford are. Daft.

Any journalist asked him about his team selection and game management?

I doubt it, most of them probably realise that swapping around a few shite players isn't going to make a massive difference.