Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Seriously, let’s not panic. This isn’t f***ing Pardew, McClaren or Carver we are talking about. Rafa is due a bad run in football/here and this is that time. He needs to drop Joselu though, he is to scoring what Trump is to diplomacy. A f***ing disaster.

not being cheeky or owt, like, but when is it ok to panic?

1 win in the last 8.

4 defeats in a row, and only one of them was to a top 4-6 team.

persistance in playing players out of their depths when there are alternatives.

refusing to make changes till its too late in the game (not just today).

inability to get a single point from huddersfield, brightom, burnley, bournemouth and watford.

Seriously, let’s not panic. This isn’t f***ing Pardew, McClaren or Carver we are talking about. Rafa is due a bad run in football/here and this is that time. He needs to drop Joselu though, he is to scoring what Trump is to diplomacy. A f***ing disaster.

1 win in the last 8.

inability to get a single point from huddersfield, brightom, burnley, bournemouth and watford.

:yikes:

I’m going to choose to believe that Rafa is playing the game by to

show what could be if Ashley gets this wrong. Rafa doesn’t lose 4 on the trot and certainly not by making the same mistakes. It was clear very early on that Watford were individually better than us and we did nothing to try and change this.

I really hope this was a case of Rafa making a point.

couldn't understand after the decent opening showing at Man Utd switching Ritchie and Murphy over, then compunding it by keeping them on those sides. Their 22 with the mask knew he could push right on against Ritchie as  if the ball was intercepted Ritchie hasn't got the pace or legs to get away. With Murphy he'd have had to hold back  a bit more.

Neither player nor manager done anything about it.

Don't get me started about not using Mitrovic if we are playing two up front.

1 win in the last 8.

:yikes:

Here, it’s a results driven business .

show what could be if Ashley gets this wrong. Rafa doesn’t lose 4 on the trot and certainly not by making the same mistakes. It was clear very early on that Watford were individually better than us and we did nothing to try and change this.

With all due respect I think that's naive at best. He's not losing games deliberately, we're losing games due to a lack of quality on the park and a certain amount of stubbornness in the dugout. Some players clearly aren't up to standard but continue to be selected. There's an inherent inability to create chances and convert them and it's not a blip.

We really struggle to score and we appear to be fairly comfortable to contain and teams know they'll get a chance to score a few, home or away. I genuinely fear we've been sussed already and more and more teams will just pick us off. 4 losses on the spin which could quite easily become 6 and we start dropping like a stone. It's all well and good having blind faith in the boss but he's going to have to do something to put it right asap. We need a reaction. More of the same will see us in the dogfight at the bottom by Xmas.

I'm canny concerned to be brutally honest.  :undecided:

2/3 players in Jan (striker who scores) and all will be well. If we don't buy we're gone. It's all in our hands. We have one of the best managers in the league by any measure.

agreed we need at the very least a LB, CM and a striker.

but we'll have no more than £30m to spend (i doubt we'll even have that), and that doesnt really say much for the quality we will be able to bring in. especially during a january window.

With all due respect I think that's naive at best. He's not losing games deliberately, we're losing games due to a lack of quality on the park and a certain amount of stubbornness in the dugout. Some players clearly aren't up to standard but continue to be selected. There's an inherent inability to create chances and convert them and it's not a blip.

We really struggle to score and we appear to be fairly comfortable to contain and teams know they'll get a chance to score a few, home or away. I genuinely fear we've been sussed already and more and more teams will just pick us off. 4 losses on the spin which could quite easily become 6 and we start dropping like a stone. It's all well and good having blind faith in the boss but he's going to have to do something to put it right asap. We need a reaction. More of the same will see us in the dogfight at the bottom by Xmas.

I'm canny concerned to be brutally honest.  :undecided:

If Rafa can’t see or is too stubborn to see the obvious then we’re in big trouble. I’ve rarely seen us so easily beaten by a fairly average side. We were second best by a long long way today.

Again, he's at fault for another defeat, he's standing behind shit players he's signed and keeps playing them week in week out, i honestly think he needs do his job a lot better than what he's been doing lately, it looked like we did no homework today and all our players were trying to do is to hit and hope or play fancy 30 yard passes, and i fear the worst is yet to come. that was the worst i've ever seen us play under him.

Guest Howaythetoon

He is not without fault, but we have to be realistic here and accept that without him, we would probably still be a Championship side and I’m more than confident he will keep us up and find a solution to our problems and issues which is mainly down to quality which is there for all to see. This is the most he’s ever lost as a manager in league games and hey, it’s Newcastle, if you wat to lose a record or beat it, this is the club. No excuse, but howay, we owe him a lot and he deserves our patience and our full backing. I said after the window closed that we would struggle to stay up this season and it’s looking that way, the team just isn’t good enough. Merino is the only obvious PL quality player we have along with Lascelles, the rest have huge doubts about them and can be argued have this and that against them. Shelvey, too fragile mentally, too much of a luxury player etc. Gayle, he’s never really proved himself at this level and has these injury concerns etc. and these are our so called better players. We started the season badly and then put a run together, but the wheels have well and truly came off and looking at the squad I don’t see an obvious answer of fix. We need taken over badly with a huge cash injection for new players in Jan. A Goalscorer would be huge for example, someone like the Cisse we signed when we did who can come in and grab 12 goals plus. I can’t see our entire offensive players scoring that many combined they are that fucking poor to average.

He is not without fault, but we have to be realistic here and accept that without him, we would probably still be a Championship side and I’m more than confident he will keep us up and find a solution to our problems and issues which is mainly down to quality which is there for all to see. This is the most he’s ever lost as a manager in league games and hey, it’s Newcastle, if you wat to lose a record or beat it, this is the club. No excuse, but howay, we owe him a lot and he deserves our patience and our full backing. I said after the window closed that we would struggle to stay up this season and it’s looking that way, the team just isn’t good enough. Merino is the only obvious PL quality player we have along with Lascelles, the rest have huge doubts about them and can be argued have this and that against them. Shelvey, too fragile mentally, too much of a luxury player etc. Gayle, he’s never really proved himself at this level and has these injury concerns etc. and these are our so called better players. We started the season badly and then put a run together, but the wheels have well and truly came off and looking at the squad I don’t see an obvious answer of fix. We need taken over badly with a huge cash injection for new players in Jan. A Goalscorer would be huge for example, someone like the Cisse we signed when we did who can come in and grab 12 goals plus. I can’t see our entire offensive players scoring that many combined they are that f***ing poor to average.

This is where it gets awkward. I think with the squad we had we'd have been promoted quicker, easier and more entertainingly (if that word exists ?) with some other managers but without him we wouldn't have been able to get that strength of squad.

He's a great man, a very, very good manager but he has his faults, weaknesses and stubborn points the same as everyone. He must know this lot are largely not good enough. Time to earn his corn and get them playing again somehow.

Needs a win desperately to get some belief back amongst the team and squad.

If only we can just hobble on till this bloody sale happens with maybe another win and draw from somewhere, then get a striker on loan in January, I would trust him implicitly to get it right for us in the longer term.

Guest firetotheworks

I dunno why it seems like news that Watford are good, like. We all watch shit loads of football, but maybe they've slipped under the radar and people don't realise just how good they are at the moment, possibly because it's been quite a quick sea change from last season.

Guest firetotheworks

IF (and it's a questionable if) he's doing this on purpose in order to hurry through the takeover, he can fuck right off with that kind of behaviour. I want a takeover as much as the next person, but I also want us to fucking try and at least be competitive in matches.

Christ almighty. [emoji38] I don't think I've ever known anyone with more professional integrity than Rafa, it's probably safe to say that he's not doing it on purpose. [emoji38]

What I’m frustrated with is that Jack Colback is not dropped because he’s shit.. it’s over an argument they had.

Mitrovic isn’t playing because he’s not taking instruction as well as Joselu is?

So what instructions is Joselu getting from Rafa that he’s following so well?

Mbemba came in at left back and played really well.. was strong. Might not be as nimble as Manquillo but certainly won’t get muscled off the ball as much.

It’s been said multiple times now but Benítez is stubborn and it’s cost us a lot this season. He’s also the best manager we’ve had in years and years.

He’s still human though.. and he’s fucked up today.

He has serious decisions to make with a few players.

Most notably Shelvey, majority of our wins this season came with him out of the team. For all his lovely passing, he doesn’t add balance to the team like we had when Hayden and Merino were paired.

Ritchie doesn’t deserve a starting spot now after last few games.. but who to come in?

Murphy is there because Atsu isn’t. Maybe they can play together in the future. Or can he play up front?

And the defence.. LeJeune for all his classy touches lacks positional common sense. Clarke is well off the boil and our captain is crocked.

We were torn apart by a really average but well drilled team today. It was as poor as anything we had under Pardew, Carver or McClaren..