Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

With hayden and merino back, we have to go back to 3 in midfield to give us some solidity.

We also need to start with defenders who can defend. The starting back four have been shit in the last few games so they aren't doing their jobs. We know we don't have anyone who can score goals reliably, so at least we should make sure we can keep clean sheets.

Buffing the midfield should relieve some pressure on the defence.

As an example, I don't think Watford scores their first goal if we had an anchor in front of the defence.

Also, now it becomes apparent why Rafa followed what seemed like an over defensive policy for so long. We don't have the strikers to play a more attacking game.

With hayden and merino back, we have to go back to 3 in midfield to give us some solidity.

We also need to start with defenders who can defend. The starting back four have been shit in the last few games so they aren't doing their jobs. We know we don't have anyone who can score goals reliably, so at least we should make sure we can keep clean sheets.

Buffing the midfield should relieve some pressure on the defence.

As an example, I don't think Watford scores their first goal if we had an anchor in front of the defence.

That first goal was disgusting from a tracking perspective.

Those quotes would suggest things are coming to a head. He knows the fans will read them and play the blame firmly at Ashley's door, unwilling to invest in the team and squad yet again and the result is another relegation battle we could quote easily lose for the third time in 10 years. He's cranking the pressure up on Ashley to accept the best offer he's ever going to get and sell the club on. I think he knows Ashley sees us as a bit of a headache and a pain to own and run and this is his way of shaming him into selling us.

He won't be shamed into selling us though as he has no shame unfortunately.

Ashley has a very thin skin so it'll have some affect on him.

Yeah, like make him say 'fuck you' - thats the way he normally reacts to this club and it's fans unfortunately.

Those quotes would suggest things are coming to a head. He knows the fans will read them and play the blame firmly at Ashley's door, unwilling to invest in the team and squad yet again and the result is another relegation battle we could quote easily lose for the third time in 10 years. He's cranking the pressure up on Ashley to accept the best offer he's ever going to get and sell the club on. I think he knows Ashley sees us as a bit of a headache and a pain to own and run and this is his way of shaming him into selling us.

He won't be shamed into selling us though as he has no shame unfortunately.

Well, yeah, there is that too but you know what I mean.  :lol: Shamed probably want the right word, pressured is probably better. Rafa knows he's got the fans behind him and is just upping the ante.

Haha yeah I know what you mean, let's hope so.

Have to agree tbh. The booing on Saturday served absolutely no purpose whatsoever, like.

Agreed, but I can understand it. It was a Carver, Pards, Stevie Mac level performance in isolation. We looked a beaten side from kick off.

Love Rafa to bits, and I'm glad he's sticking it into Ashley again publicly, but I'm not sure what constantly telling the world our strikers are shit is gonna do to their already garbage confidence :lol:

Some people might get a rise out of it, and go out with the attitude of, "I'm better then that".

Guest firetotheworks

It's funny because in here people are worried about him commenting on our strikers not being good enough and in the Joselu thread people are worried about how he's just praised Joselu in exactly the same interview. Which one is it? :lol:

Love Rafa to bits, and I'm glad he's sticking it into Ashley again publicly, but I'm not sure what constantly telling the world our strikers are shit is gonna do to their already garbage confidence :lol:

Some people might get a rise out of it, and go out with the attitude of, "I'm better then that".

Gayle & Mitro I can see doing that, not Joselu :lol:

He doesn’t want a relegation on his CV...

Bit late for that.

Confident we’ll and get relegated mind. A bad run now might be a good thing. Some relegation fret and if Ashley is still here - he’ll be further incentivised to sell or he’ll get some money out to ensure survival. 

The last thing he wants is to be owner if we are relegated again. Second to last is having to spend money to avoid relegation. Sell up fatty.

Guest Howaythetoon

Much prefer an angry Rafa telling it how it is than say Pardew saying we will show some fret in the next game or McClaren smiling his way through another disaster. What I got from his interview is how much if of is directed to the fans to just keep standing by the players and let’s not panic etc. He’s got this essentially.

Much prefer an angry Rafa telling it how it is than say Pardew saying we will show some fret in the next game or McClaren smiling his way through another disaster. What I got from his interview is how much if of is directed to the fans to just keep standing by the players and let’s not panic etc. He’s got this essentially.

I thought his line was a direct shot at Ashley "our fans know why we are where we are".

That's how I read it into it as well.

Gayle & Mitro I can see doing that, not Joselu :lol:

Some players can't take the pressure of a high transfer fee, ours crumbles because he cost peanuts :lol:

"Our reality is if you want to buy a striker that scores 20 goals every year then you have to pay £40m.

"An average striker is £15m, £20m, or £25m. If he kicks the ball forward it's £15m, if he scores it's £25m. We didn't do that and that's it. (NB: Joselu cost £5m).

"We need to know who we are, and where we are. It can be worse if we start questioning everything, the reality is the reality.

"You can lose against the top teams, we have to compete against Huddersfield, Brighton, or Burnley, but we couldn't sign players that they signed. We couldn't pay the wages that they paid, so that is what we have.

"I can tell you a couple of players in each team that maybe we could have signed, but we couldn't pay the wages, or we couldn't pay the transfer fee, or whatever.

"That is a message for our fans - so stick together. We have to support our team, we have to support our players, so stick together."

"The top six teams are the higher wages - the top six are the top six in wage bills. The fans have to realise that it could be worse."

"We will be better in the second half of the season. We aim for 20 points in the first half of the season, so if we win some games in between, that will make things easier.

"A message for our fans - stick together. You see what we have and the players are giving everything. They can manage if we stay calm.

"We have to support our team; to support our players. If they make the worst mistake in football history, we stick together."

"What is our target? To stay in the Premier League. Nobody said it would be easy. I have confidence. Sometimes you will win, sometimes you will lose."