Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

A quick look at a Leicester City forum, and most are firmly against the idea of Benitez as their manager - preferring Puel, Wagner or Rodgers. Oh dear. He deserves better than Leicester, does Rafa, and part of the reason I say that, is that it would be tormenting and heartbreaking to see him go there and do inevitably wonderful things with their resources that far surpass anything we're likely to have in the foreseeable future.

He literally is as close to Sir Bobby as anyone could get. For us to have been blessed with the presence of these two great men is a privilege.

Genuine question, do you not include Keegan in the " greats" of Newcastle United?

Great manager, but no disrespect to Keegan, Bobby's just much more of a great man imo. That certain ineffible quality.

Guest reefatoon

Robson's era was great, but nothing will ever come close to what Keegan brought to the club.

Exactly right. Been watching those years back and they were unreal. We were completely spoiled watching that football, it was immense. Tried to get myself in the mood for our last match by watching the highlights from the 95/96 season and it had the complete wrong effect. Instead of getting me up for the match it just made me realise how utter boring and shit it is now. We will never get those days back.

He literally is as close to Sir Bobby as anyone could get. For us to have been blessed with the presence of these two great men is a privilege.

Genuine question, do you not include Keegan in the " greats" of Newcastle United?

Great manager, but no disrespect to Keegan, Bobby's just much more of a great man imo. That certain ineffible quality.

Don't really understand that comment, makes it sound like Keegan is a c*** :lol:, when in fact he comes across as a genuinley nice, warm person, the same as Robson and Benitez. That's why we love them, if they were c***s as people but good managers, it would be a grudging respect only, and not an outpouring of love.

The only difference i see is in terms of managerial ability, you could argue Keegan is the best manager for our club as he got closest to winning the league, but Robson and Benitez are obviously the better managers in terms of winning trophies in their careers.

Robson's era was great, but nothing will ever come close to what Keegan brought to the club.

Maybe not but if bobby had what keegan had no one would have touched us wed have pissed that league for 2 or 3 seasons. Keegans time was unbelievable fun and ultimately typical nufc disappointment but tactically he wasn't on the same planet as Bobby

Maybe not but if bobby had what keegan had no one would have touched us wed have pissed that league for 2 or 3 seasons. Keegans time was unbelievable fun and ultimately typical nufc disappointment but tactically he wasn't on the same planet as Bobby

Bobby would'nt have touched us with a bargepole when you consider where Keegan picked us up from quite astounding what he achieved and how far he lifted us dont think anybody else could have done it.

Bobby would'nt have touched us with a bargepole when you consider where Keegan picked us up from quite astounding what he achieved and how far he lifted us dont think anybody else could have done it.

I was referring more to the opinion that if bobby was manager for 94/95 or 95/96 or 96/97 with that squad hed have won the league no doubt on at least 2 occasions

He was streets ahead as a tactician than Keegan was, When the going got tough with Keegan he crumbled as we seen after the Leeds Game. He was all good when everything was going great and running along smoothly but with other clubs not only us and England of course when things got tough he chucked it

I was referring more to the opinion that if bobby was manager for 94/95 or 95/96 or 96/97 with that squad hed have won the league no doubt on at least 2 occasions

He was streets ahead as a tactician than Keegan was, When the going got tough with Keegan he crumbled as we seen after the Leeds Game. He was all good when everything was going great and running along smoothly but with other clubs not only us and England of course when things got tough he chucked it

Imagine what we would have won if Sir Bobby stuck by his original word to take over us after KK left in January 1997? It’s horrible to think actually!

Exactly right. Been watching those years back and they were unreal. We were completely spoiled watching that football, it was immense. Tried to get myself in the mood for our last match by watching the highlights from the 95/96 season and it had the complete wrong effect. Instead of getting me up for the match it just made me realise how utter boring and shit it is now. We will never get those days back.

Same here. The whole Keegan era was a magical ride.

For me it's:

Keegan

Harvey

Robson

Benitez

That's how highly I regard Rafa; he deserves to be alongside our legends.

When he leaves it will be devastatingly depressing.

Harsh on Keegan he had plenty of tough times in first season and stuck the course turned us around (even with the mini walkout) the last two games of that season where probably the most crucial of our modern history god knows what would have happened had we gone down that year. He was'nt the first International manager to find himself out of his depth at that level I wish Graham Taylor had done the same. Whether Bobby would have done any better is a Moot point mebbes in the two latter years. Just wish that he had succeeded Keegan.

Oh yeah, SBR was tactically a better manager, but Keegan wasn't just about the trophies, he lit the place up. His enthusiasm and reach for the stars attitude was infectious, the whole city was bouncing when he was in charge. Just something about having him as our leader which seemed right even if he wasn't tactically perfect.

Makes a massive difference when he gets the players who can make his system work like it's designed to. Almiron is obviously a game changer, and he had to wait for a year to get him. Imagine if he was allowed that sort of quality at wing back.

Guest firetotheworks

Remarkable only 4 Premier League teams have conceded less than Rafa this season :smitten: :clap:

Has to be the best Newcastle team defensively we’ve ever seen in the Premier League?

The best I've seen organisationally, definitely. My mate still reckons Woodgate looking after Bramble and the rest just beats it, but not for me. Remarkable really because individually our full/wing backs aren't great.