Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Thing is, it's the first really sticky period during his tenure. He did his damnedest to keep the Sissoko team up, but it was too late. Last season was an absolute battle - a real struggle, but he saw us through. He wasn't rewarded how he should've been, but he's making mistakes himself, no doubt.

He deserves the fanbase's support through this period - he's earned it following a successful first season-and-a-bit in the job.

Nah. Sack and replace with Bono.

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

Honestly. We're shit and I understand people get frustrated and of course no one is above criticism, but we need to keep supporting this man and his players. Those type of songs would have been inderstable under previous management with players giving up and downing tools, but at the moment this is simply down to a lack of quality. Not sure what overly criticising players management will achieve.

Dude, Valencia winning the Barcelona-Real dominated league and Liverpool pulling the Champions League  out of their asses were coaching miracles.

Tired of this s*** that goes utterly against evidence. Nothing wrong with criticizing Rafa, but some of this is f***ing ridiculous.

Some of the defence of him is as bad mind.

Guest firetotheworks

Fucking muppets coming out of the woodwork. Group of lads chanting the 'fat Spanish waiter' ditty outside the East Stand at the end. Pathetic.

I now fully advocate violence.

Guest firetotheworks

Dude, Valencia winning the Barcelona-Real dominated league and Liverpool pulling the Champions League  out of their asses were coaching miracles.

Tired of this s*** that goes utterly against evidence. Nothing wrong with criticizing Rafa, but some of this is f***ing ridiculous.

You've been canny quiet on the whole 442 fetish front lately. [emoji38]

f***ing muppets coming out of the woodwork. Group of lads chanting the 'fat Spanish waiter' ditty outside the East Stand at the end. Pathetic.

They were Leicester fans and at least 2 of them ended up on their backsides before they'd managed to walk down as far as the Strawberry.

You've been canny quiet on the whole 442 fetish front lately. [emoji38]

Different formations for different opponents and even then it's pointless having the right formation with the wrong personnel.

Even I went 4-2-3-1 for today.

What’s the reasoning of abandoning the 4-3-1-1 formation? To accommodate Gayle? Granted we wasn’t looking like breaking teams down but by going 4-4-2 we no longer have any strengths. Surely it’ll be back to 4-3-1-1 vs Everton?

Hopefully we play with 11 men against Everton

What’s the reasoning of abandoning the 4-3-1-1 formation? To accommodate Gayle? Granted we wasn’t looking like breaking teams down but by going 4-4-2 we no longer have any strengths. Surely it’ll be back to 4-3-1-1 vs Everton?

Hopefully we play with 11 men against Everton

Sorry just edited, tired and fed up

he's persisting in playing without our best midfielder.  his explanations dont really make sense.

I don't think he really needs to make any explanations. His tendency to stick with formations and players has usually been proven correct. He's consistently backed Gayle for example, when plenty of fans were fed up, early last season included. Same goes for Lascelles, daft as it seems now. I can remember loads of supporters calling him worse than shit during a bad run in the championship. I think the biggest chance we've got of surviving this season is we have a manager who is clear minded and knows exactly what he wants regardless of what anyone else thinks, including the owner.

His worry up front will be about an outlet, which we need with the lack of quality we have and the way we need to play, that can relieve pressure and cause some damage. Gayle has pace but struggles on his own and needs a physical presence close around him - Merino might be able to fill that void as a 10, but it's always going to be whether he can provide the right support and speed. Joselu can't really do much on his own so isn't a lone forward, he also gets bullied. Mitrovic obviously isn't going to start.

With 4-3-3, I'd feel comfortable in us for the defensive and middle of the pitch. Having Shelvey in there with a slightly more free role should allow us to get the ball to the forwards faster, it's just a case of whether we have enough up top for the ball to not come straight back... I'd be very worried about Gayle being isolated. Outside of that, 4-2-3-1 with Merino as a 10 and Gayle/Joselu depending on the style of game. 

Absolutely screwed over the by the summer shitshow. Some moderate investment would've seen us easily, easily comfortable. Shambles.

Got massive sympathy with the lack of support in the transfer market but the players he has signed are pretty poor but again would have been his 5th or 6th choices surely. However I will say his team selection and tactics these last couple of months have certainly been open to question. He is not a god and currently he is underperforming. Despite that some may think he can do no wrong; he can and he is.