Newcastle United vs. Liverpool - 01/10/17 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Think we're not a team that is easily humped by the bigger clubs as we were used to a few years back. Rafa has done a tremendous job of taking that element out of the players' minds and I don't see u being thrashed 1-5 or 0-6 like we have previously. Especially after that Brighton defeat, Rafa would have made the players get back on track and do a better job on Sunday. We're at home with a sold-out crowd, hopefully we can get at least a point.

Obviously they have Salah, Mane, Coutinho, Firmino and that fucking Gini in their side, but if our players are on their game, we could match them. Still, a draw would be a good result going into the international break.

Think there are 12 games possibly 14 if you count the Everton ones, that you need to just write off, anything out of them is a bonus. Absolutely the case here, if we can keep them out, think we'll win as they can't seem to keep a clean sheet. We'll need to play a lot better than we did at Brighton though to get anything.

Yep. Definitely a bonus if we pick-up points from some games. But we will do that (all being well/on track for a comfortable season) and hope this is a case in point. Would be such a confidence boost for the chaps to beat a generally acknowledged 'good' team like Liverpool.

Guest firetotheworks

They're insane going forward but even a decent amount of set pieces and counter attacks where we can get the ball out of their press and we'll have a good chance.

As good as they are going forward, they really aren't great at breaking defensive sides down.

Burnley (h) - 1 goal

Crystal Palace (h) - 1 goal

Spartak Moscow (a) - 1 goal

Burnley got a point, could have nicked all 3 and Palace could easily have stole a point.

Their goals have all come against teams who are willing to attack them, they have really struggled to play against the sides who play like we will on Sunday.

As good as they are going forward, they really aren't great at breaking defensive sides down.

Burnley (h) - 1 goal

Burnley got a point, could have nicked all 3 and Palace could easily have stole a point.

Their goals have all come against teams who are willing to attack them, they have really struggled to play against the sides who play like we will on Sunday.

Which is a good point to make. Hopefully we can at least come away with a draw at least.

Think there are 12 games possibly 14 if you count the Everton ones, that you need to just write off.

Ridiculous comment, it's almost like you have completely forgotten that we won 3 in a row before Brighton. Pardew was right about one thing with regards to Newcastle, the fanbase can be absolutely bipolar at times.

Think there are 12 games possibly 14 if you count the Everton ones, that you need to just write off.

Ridiculous comment, it's almost like you have completely forgotten that we won 3 in a row before Brighton. Pardew was right about one thing with regards to Newcastle, the fanbase can be absolutely bipolar at times.

Not really, just a realisation that we shouldn't wet the bed if we get beat, which is still the most likely result. We are picking up enough points right now in the games that matter for us to make these games against the top 6 bonus ones. Hardly a bi polar comment, not sure where that's coming from regarding this seemingly harnless comment.

Not really, just a realisation that we shouldn't wet the bed if we get beat, which is still the most likely result.

You said we need to just 'write off' at least 12 games which is obviously completely insane. As has been pointed out we picked up 13 points from the top 6 last time we were in the league. Rafa's record against the ones he played was W1 D2 L1.

In total out of 12 games "the most likely result" only happened 5 times and we were managed for most of them by Steve McClaren..

Yeah, you don't expect results against the top 6 on a game by game basis but you do expect a few of them over the course of the season. They're not infallible and they will falter occasionally, it's vital to capitalise given that it makes up almost a third of our games.

Not really, just a realisation that we shouldn't wet the bed if we get beat, which is still the most likely result.

You said we need to just 'write off' at least 12 games which is obviously completely insane. As has been pointed out we picked up 13 points from the top 6 last year. Rafa's record against the ones he played was W1 D2 L1.

In total out of 12 games "the most likely result" only happened 5 times and we were managed for most of them by Steve McClaren..

Last year we were in the champo, but I'll assume you mean last time in the PL. You highlighted though the main reason we went down that year, Although we did well against the top teams, we couldn't beat the ones around us, failing to beat Norwich, Sunderland and Villa in the run in put the nail in the coffin. All I said is that these games are bonus games and they won't define our season and we need to remember that if we do lose, not sure why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist, I guess it's cool to follow what Dave thinks here ?

I must have edited my post as you were typing, but yeah.

Nobody is getting their knickers in a twist or 'following Dave', I honestly have no idea what you're going on about there. We have to take each game as the come and treat every game as if we can get a result, obviously with a weighted expectancy that it is more likely we will take more points on average from lesser teams come the end of the season. But if we play absolutely shite against Liverpool and get battered then there shouldn't just be an acceptance of "well we never could have won this game anyway" and thankfully Rafa will definitely not be looking at it that way either.

I must have edited my post as you were typing, but yeah.

Nobody is getting their knickers in a twist or 'following Dave', I honestly have no idea what you're going on about there. We have to take each game as the come and treat every game as if we can get a result, obviously with a weighted expectancy that it is more likely we will take more points on average from lesser teams come the end of the season. But if we play absolutely s**** against Liverpool and get battered then there shouldn't just be an acceptance of "well we never could have won this game anyway" and thankfully Rafa will definitely not be looking at it that way either.

If we get battered because we played crap, we also need to remember that these aren't the games we have to get points from to survive, and if we think the world is falling in because we lost to Liverpool we are wrong. I got chewed out on here for inferring that after the Spuds loss, which I now admit was wrong, what I didn't see in the Spuds game however even when 11 v 11 was a will to win and a belief that we could get something other than a 0-0 out of the game, I also let the folks on here convince me we had a champo squad, which before the game I thought was underselling us.

And people are getting their knickers in a twist, how many times has my original post been quoted and derided, it's a pretty innocuous comment really.

As if we were "expected" to win away to Swansea and beat West Ham or Stoke either. It's just nonsense which usually happens after a loss.

I have no idea what this is in response too, seems like a random quote against a phantom reference.

Burnley (h) - 1 goal

This is bang on and why I think we can beat them. Liverpool fans go mental at the fact that for all Klopp's high pressing attacking nous, his team often struggle to break well-drilled defensive teams down who play on the counter.

I reckon we'll give them a game. They've got better players than us in many positions, but I think their team is less than the sum of its parts. Ours is the opposite, a well-drilled and well-organized group of limited individuals. If this is another way of saying we have the better manager, then so be it.

If I were Rafa, I'd be telling our strikers to concentrate on hitting the target, because our finishing has been poor and their keepers let in plenty of shots that aren't in the corners. For a team with their aspirations, Mignolet and Karius are shocking.

This game is perfect for Mitro to start. He'll bully that defence all day if he plays from the start. No use bringing him on when we're 0-2 down with 15mins to go. He'll keep them preoccupied which will open up chances for the likes of Perez, Ritchie or Atsu to take advantage of.

Burnley (h) - 1 goal

This is bang on and why I think we can beat them. Liverpool fans go mental at the fact that for all Klopp's high pressing attacking nous, his team often struggle to break well-drilled defensive teams down who play on the counter.

It is a great point, but we'll have to do better than these teams and keep a clean sheet, to get anything out of the game if we persist with Joselu up front.