Newcastle United vs. Liverpool - 01/10/17 @ 4.30pm (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Liverpool's last 2 wins here? 0-6 and 1-5. [emoji38]

They were the pits as well, we were actually somehow even worse than the scorelines suggest.

We do pick up the odd good result in this fixture though.

Seem to remember that Given was actually MOTM for that 1-5 match as well... then he put a transfer request in afterwards.  :(

I was at that game and he was furious, proper Peter Kay hoofed it after one of the goals iirc. Could honestly have been 12 or 13-1, lots of clear chances squandered by them.

They were the pits as well, we were actually somehow even worse than the scorelines suggest.

Seem to remember that Given was actually MOTM for that 1-5 match as well... then he put a transfer request in afterwards.  :(

I was at that game and he was furious, proper Peter Kay hoofed it after one of the goals iirc. Could honestly have been 12 or 13-1, lots of clear chances squandered by them.

Think he got booked for that n all, IIRC.

Think he got booked for that n all, IIRC.

My dad seems to remember the 0-3 under Allardyce more clearly than the 1-5. Guess they were similar sorts of performances, mind. Can't remember much of them myself, but do remember in the 0-3 where the camera cut to a side shot of Allardyce with fans beside the dugout giving him dogs abuse.

A million percent loss. Much to negative going forward, I had a feeling Rafa would stick with 4231 again and again it did work in the championship for the majority, but in this division in particular when you don't  take your chances in a defensive formation you will likely suffer. If we lose Ritchie to injury for an extended period I think we will be screwed, hes had one below par game and that was Brighton and it showed throughout the side.

A million percent loss. Much to negative going forward, I had a feeling Rafa would stick with 4231 again and again it did work in the championship for the majority, but in this division in particular when you don't  take your chances in a defensive formation you will likely suffer. If we lose Ritchie to injury for an extended period I think we will be screwed, hes had one below par game and that was Brighton and it showed throughout the side.

You'd think we have lost every game this season and not won 3 of the last 4.

My team would be:

Blobby(actually played well last couple of weeks - outside of not getting down fast enough for Stoke's goal)

Yedlin Clark LeJuene (assuming fit) Mbemba

Ritchie Merino Shelvey Hayden Atsu

Mitro

Would go for Lejuene over Lascelles not becase of the latter giving away that cheap free kick that lead to the goal, but more because Lejuene is a better CB at this point in his career and I think will be a better fit against Liverpool than the Capt is.

Sticking with the wingers because neither Murphy nor Aarons are pushing them hard enough, both starters need to improve on the Brighton game though for us to stand a chance.

Going with a flat 3 in the middle because of the quality of Liverpool, seems like the ideal chance to try it.

Mitro is IMO anyway for what that's worth our best Striking option, the weak point of the Liverpool team is the defence and to be frank Joselu isn't going to frighten anyone back there. Mitro will put himself about (hopefully within the laws of the game) and if he gets a chance similar to any of the last four from Joselu, pretty confident he'll take it.

Ignoring Man city's 5-0 against them due to the sending off, Watford scored 3 & Leicester were a pen away from 3 also. They look shaky at the back away from home. Equally they can score a bucketload in any game also.

I'd play Gayle in this one.

Ignoring Man city's 5-0 against them due to the sending off, Watford scored 3 & Leicester were a pen away from 3 also. They look shaky at the back away from home. Equally they can score a bucketload in any game also.

I'd play Gayle in this one.

I wouldn't be adverse to this either, we need a striker who can put chances away though, because clearly this Liverpool team give you chances.

Benitez's results with our awful relegation squad against Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham were 1-1, 2-2 & 5-1. Tottenham did nowt until Shelvey was sent off first game too, although it being the first game might have played a part.

I feel more confident of a performance in these games than I do against the likes of Brighton like. We'll not make it easy for them.

Guest neesy111

Benitez's results with our awful relegation squad against Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham were 1-1, 2-2 & 5-1. Tottenham did nowt until Shelvey was sent off first game too, although it being the first game might have played a part.

I feel more confident of a performance in these games than I do against the likes of Brighton like. We'll not make it easy for them.

Same.  The way we play completely suits us when teams come onto us.

Same.  The way we play completely suits us when teams come onto us.

Agreed. Although do feel like we never played well versus Huddersfield with that high press of theirs.

Think there are 12 games possibly 14 if you count the Everton ones, that you need to just write off, anything out of them is a bonus. Absolutely the case here, if we can keep them out, think we'll win as they can't seem to keep a clean sheet. We'll need to play a lot better than we did at Brighton though to get anything.

Think there are 12 games possibly 14 if you count the Everton ones, that you need to just write off, anything out of them is a bonus. Absolutely the case here, if we can keep them out, think we'll win as they can't seem to keep a clean sheet. We'll need to play a lot better than we did at Brighton though to get anything.

Thankfully Rafa doesn't think like that.

Imagine just "writing off" a third of your season.

Thankfully Rafa doesn't think like that.

Imagine just "writing off" a third of your season.

We are that far away though, everyone on here said our squad was terrible and ill equipped before the start of the season. Compare our players with them and all the experts on here and in the media will tell you we don't have a chance. But it is also the battlefield for us to make an impression if we really believe we are better than that, I don't think we really believed that in the first of these "impossible" games, even when it was 11 v 11 we were way too timid, we can't be that way against Liverpool and expect a result.

We've also got to remember should we lose, which is likely, that this isn't going to define our season and not to get too down about it. We need to put away the teams that'll be close to us come the end of the season, we've failed with the only two teams we'll play that finished lower than us last year so far but beaten three teams most neutrals had us behind at the start of the season.

The positive is we get them after a long midweek trip, think this extra prep time for us is an advantage.