Southampton 2 - 2 Newcastle United - 15/10/17 - Post-match reaction from page 29

Dave

It was an idiotic challenge from Lejeune. The ball had clearly gone though, so if a pundit ever claims that might be a factor in a challenge not being a penalty, remember this incident where it wasn't treated as one.

Tell you what, Long waits for Lejuenne, toe pokes the ball out and gleefully goes over. It’s a very clever piece of play. I’d almost call it cheating; he knows exactly what he’s looking to happen.

It is cheating. Long won the pen rather than Lejeune conceding it imo. Players like Shane Long and Andy Johnson have made careers by doing it

I think there's an easy way to avoid that first goal going in, but I dunno what it really is. Maybe the keeper should get across to it, but the shot was pretty accurate... maybe Manquillo shouldn't let him get a shot away, but if he sticks a leg out it's a penny... I just dunno. Perhaps someone else should've come across to cover? Minging and a bit of a weird goal, really. The way to fix it is just to be better-drilled altogether (ideally with better players).

What the hell has happened to Gayle?

He's not a Premiership level player.

There's clearly more to it than that, imo. As soon as he set off on that sprint, shortly after he came on, I knew that'd be it from him for the rest of the game. There's something up with him.

Balls, missed the interview. Anyone care to give the gist of it? Owt interesting?

Disappointed with result, happy with team's progress, thought Yedlin's first yellow was harsh, praised the fans for the journey and wished we were able to win to send them home happier.

I think there's an easy way to avoid that first goal going in, but I dunno what it really is. Maybe the keeper should get across to it, but the shot was pretty accurate... maybe Manquillo shouldn't let him get a shot away, but if he sticks a leg out it's a penny... I just dunno. Perhaps someone else should've come across to cover? Minging and a bit of a weird goal, really. The way to fix it is just to be better-drilled altogether (ideally with better players).

I don't think Manquillo did an awful lot wrong tbh. Thought Elliot could've read the direction of the shot a bit better.

Elliot was to blame for the first goal. When a player has so little of the goal to aim at and Elliot is so close to the post then it should be a comfortable save for any goalkeeper when the attacking player is that far away from goal.

Tell you what, Long waits for Lejuenne, toe pokes the ball out and gleefully goes over. It’s a very clever piece of play. I’d almost call it cheating; he knows exactly what he’s looking to happen.

It is cheating. Long won the pen rather than Lejeune conceding it imo. Players like Shane Long and Andy Johnson have made careers by doing it

Cheating [emoji38]

Not sure Elliot or Manquillo are much to blame for their first. They both assume he's going across goal as that's the way he's running and where the gap for the shot is. He just pulls it near post instead. If Elliot isn't going to his right and it does go across goal instead he has no chance and likewise we'd be complaining if Manquillo didn't try to block the shot across goal. Probably needed a second defender to push Gabbiadini away from goal if anything.

Cheating [emoji38]

:lol: clear cut pen, he invited a clumsy challenge from lejeune and got it.