Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What he wants and what he will get are miles apart.  If we had invested in the summer (and before that) and we looked like a consolidated (albeit just promoted) club, his demands of £350 might have been realistic.

Reality is, his 10 years of non investment in the club on a number of levels render his expectations meaningless.  Aside the first team, the club really does need substantial investment to reach a consistent top 6 level. £50-100M in players (short term) will only ensure a top 10 finish, there is money needed above and beyond that - this is merely a sticky plaster to keep us in the league.

Add possible relegation and HMRC, he was never going to get the number quoted.  His poor management of the club over the years is well and truly coming home to roost.

IMO, he should take the £250 or whatever the number is.  Carry on the way he has and we could end up being a Championship club for the next few years.

Just leave or things really will go tits up.  To be honest, PCP probably know what hence the reported lower offer.

So we're still believing made up stories from the press then ? if she'd backed out of a deal she'd come out and say which suggests the deal hasn't fallen apart. There may be rumours but that's all they are. Nobody has a clue. They arent going to risk the non disclosure to make some press guy happy. It would certainly cost them a fortune if they did.

As a newspaper or online publication, there's no easier way to generate traffic at the moment than to comment on our takeover. We're all so desperate for an update that we'll hang on any titbit of information and head straight to any website that offers it.  The fact is no one knows anything, they're just best guessing like us. So far we've heard £350m in instalments over 3 years, £300m in one payment with a relegation clause, £250m in a lump sum with no clauses.  That doesn't strike me as a group of people ITK.

I'm still quietly confident.

Can't help but feel £250m is a bit of a low ball offer, really. There's a lot of additional investment required, obviously, but I'm not sure that price is the going rate for an historical, if not established, Premier League club.

This is where some fans have to get their black and white specs off. Historical does not play a part in business, we are not an established premier club anymore with 2 recent relegations with a 3rd a possibility. Our squad is very poor and needs a major turnover which will cost a huge amount of money to be even challenging. The HMRC case in the background and the fact fat c*** still makes a decent profit on top of his ten years of free advertisement makes the offer a very realistic and fair one. We are not currently a major club.

The offer, if reports are accurate, doesn't reflect brilliantly on PCP imho.

If they're low-balling on day 1, what kind of owners will they be?

I don't undertand the thinking here- a few others have said similar.

You have your doubts about potential owners who have done extensive due diligence, who are clearly have the upper hand in negotiations, and prefer them to cave and pay more than they need to? We have someone in charge who did the opposite when buying the club. That hasn't worked out well.

If anything, it gives me heart that they are doing things properly and as would be expected for a transaction of this size.

It'll already have been rejected or accepted surely? 'Will you accept £250m?' 'Yes/no'.

Think of the Abraham/Cabellero deals, contracts there ready to be signed off....then silence for weeks until the deals fall through. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a similar story here ffs.

So should they just come straight in at £400 million then?  :lol:

If he really wants to sell the deal will get done. It all comes down to Ashley intentions really.

I don't undertand the thinking here- a few others have said similar.

You have your doubts about potential owners who have done extensive due diligence, who are clearly have the upper hand in negotiations, to cave and pay more than they need to? We have someone in charge who did the opposite when buying the club. That hasn't worked out well.

If anything, it gives me heart that they are doing things properly and as would be expected for a transaction of this size.

If the number is £250m that's low imho, even given the HMRC issue (for which there would be a covenent anyway) and the possibility of relegation.

They've also got to have the collective intelligence and ability to make Ashley think he's getting a good deal.

Sticking him in a corner and poking him with a two week deadline is not how you play with billionaires.

If he really wants to sell the deal will get done. It all comes down to Ashley intentions really.

Cos that's what I said.

Any deal is not only about the intentions of the seller. The buyer has to make the seller think they've achieved fair value.

What I know for sure is that the old adage of 'time kills all deals' is 100% correct in my personal experience.

He has been making a fortune on the back of free advertising, and he won’t see why it can’t continue until it actually happens.

I'd be very surprised if the value of the SD advertising could be considered a fortune. Will hold my hands up if anyone in the industry says otherwise, the pitchside adverts are proabbly a decent earner, but the boards around the ground won't be worth that much.Plus, he only sees 60% of the benefit.

It’s not just the face value of the advertising, it’s what it means to him financially in how it affects the growth of the firm in which he is the majority shareholder.

Cos that's what I said.

Any deal is not only about the intentions of the seller. The buyer has to make the seller think they've achieved fair value.

What I know for sure is that the old adage of 'time kills all deals' is 100% correct in my personal experience.

Well yeah, it would seem Ashley is gambling in regards to the "time kills all deals" part of this, and thats pretty worrying.

If Ashley's willing to accept £300m, there's hope. Because that's a sensible offer.

And as long as it's done by mid-January, there's time to get at least 2 good players in. I'm convincing myself that it'll fall apart though.

The fat bastard won't get anything near whatever PCP is offering now if we are relegated. Would have thought the fat greedy cunt would take what  he has now and run away with it. What the fuck does he gain if we are in the Championship again? He'll lose money. Daft pighead.

The fat bastard won't get anything near whatever PCP is offering now if we are relegated. Would have thought the fat greedy cunt would take what  he has now and run away with it. What the fuck does he gain if we are in the Championship again? He'll lose money. Daft pighead.

Well he's been relegated twice and came straight back twice so somehow I don't think the stupid bastard will see things like that. Get back to the prem and the club will probably be worth more in a few years unfortunately.

So the piece in the Times was bollocks then.

The fact that both sides are still negotiating shows that this whole thing hasn't been bullshit. Ashley doesn't have a personal vendetta against the club or the fans, some saying he's going to fuck the club for one last laugh is just daft. He's only ever loyal to money and doing that (fucking the club and fans over one last time) makes zero financial sense, not one jot.

This will drag on probably past Christmas and into January. Doesn't mean it won't happen, doesn't mean Rafa is going to leave half way through the season. My gut feeling is pretty much what that Purslow bloke said on Sky last night. There HAS to be money, at least some money, £20m-£30m give or take, to ensure survival. When it's ensured, the club will probably be sold.

Hate to be pretty much saying "#wait" but that looks like the way it's going. Be patient and don't fret unless concrete news is out that PCP has pulled out of the deal or something similar.

I don't think Rafa would leave mid-season no matter what. Obviously he'll resign if a blatant lack of investment means we go down though.

Agree with others that think Ashley probably believes relegation isn't that big a deal, twice now we've come straight back in relative comfort. Who knows, we could even get Steve Bruce next time.

So after all this, it's pretty much at the same stage we already knew it was anyway? Negotiating.

Aye. Can understand the fretting after the article after years of disappointment and ever shifting goalposts.

This time though, Ashley shifting goalposts makes no financial sense for him.

See what you're saying but what it suggests to me is that they've done DD and are very professional. If Ashley had invested in us we'd be worth lots more but he's stripped us to the bone.

Guest neesy111

See what you're saying but what it suggests to me is that they've done DD and are very professional. If Ashley had invested in us we'd be worth lots more but he's stripped us to the bone.

Aye, the first team is quite worthless for a PL team.