Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It’s due to the bad investment in Debenhams mainly.

Actually means he can buy more shares at a lower cost as no doubt the share price will drop as a result of this.

But he still has to then turn the fortunes of the business around, right? Debenhams is on its arse.

For sure, I think Debenhams is practically done which will mean another write off/down for SD which would in theory lower the share price for SD and the cycle continues.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Debenhams investment is under sports direct and not him personally?

For sure, I think Debenhams is practically done which will mean another write off/down for SD which would in theory lower the share price for SD and the cycle continues.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the Debenhams investment is under sports direct and not him personally?

SD, yeah.

So this can be a win for him, sure he incurs a paper loss in net worth terms but if he were to buy up more shares at a lower price and sports direct recovers his net worth will be up.

Of course he has to navigate insider trading rules etc

So this can be a win for him, sure he incurs a paper loss in net worth terms but if he were to buy up more shares at a lower price and sports direct recovers his net worth will be up.

Of course he has to navigate insider trading rules etc

Seems like SD still turns a pretty penny (for shame, those of you that shop there), but it’s nice to see his plans for Debenhams and HoF go tits up, if nothing else. Can’t be good for the ego/reputation.

That depends the share price is down 5% already, should he buy a few and the price jumps he makes a profit, with further impairments to come from both of those shorty investments he can bank on the price being volatile and buy when the dips come causing him to make a lot of money. It depends on how he views success I suppose.

I think the core business makes most of the money for SD (correct me if I’m wrong) and as long as it does he’s in the money.

If he wanted to buy SD shares he would first need to convert some asset or outstanding credit into cash in hand. Now would therefore be a good time to sell up (best case) or take out those deferred interest payments or repay part of the loan, while the club is cash heavy with PL TV revenue (worst case) :shifty:

Sports Direct has reported a 72.5% plunge in pre-tax profits after a 'tough' time for Debenhams which it has invested heavily in

Why the fuck would you invest heavily in Debenhams while watching what's been happening to BHS, House of Fraser, Woolworths etc? 

It's profits that are down though. They still made profit, it's not like they're suddenly going to go under and Ashley will be penniless.

Yeah, also they are down due to buying a large stake in Debenhams.

No wonder he gambled on England winning the WC, for extra visibility (for SD). The shirt giveaway, which required people to download the SD app, would have definitely helped. Don't think many people (non-NUFC fans espec) would have uninstalled the app, once they started receiving alerts & notifications for monthly bargains.

TBH having this parasite riding the coattails of the WC run eroded any loyalty I have for the team, and with it enjoying a potential WC triumph. I was relieved when Croatia put an end to his marketing gamble.

The 73% drop in profits is a bonus. A small consolation in the face of this man's running of a once competitive sporting entity, but nonetheless it is fantastic news (to accompany his failed WC gamble).

Edit: 73%