Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

He's robbing the club blind, claiming we owe him an ever increasing amount whilst stealing more than that amount back to Sports Direct. Sad thing is some still need to be convinced that this is the case ffs.

Nevermind the outsourcing of catering etc to his own companies.

Isnt it Sodexo who do the catering?

Not in my experience, the last pie I bought from the  Milburn level 7 came straight from the depths of hell.

I’ve asked this question before but never had it answered (unless it got lost on a different page).

Sports direct buy our merchandise as they get better buyers discount. NUFC then buy that merchandise from sports direct. However, if nufc then outsource merchandise sales to sports direct, does that mean SD are being paid twice for the same merchandise? I suspect they are.

"Keith, they're protesting every week, disrupting my social media channels and yours, chanting about me at every game, holding up anti-me banners and they've even created a website directing traffic away from Sports Direct. They've got MPs on-side and the media are starting to turn against me. What the fuck shall we do?!"

"Send em a pen and a badge Mike, everyone loves a nice pen. That'll do it!"

"Keith, they're protesting every week, disrupting my social media channels and yours, chanting about me at every game, holding up anti-me banners and they've even created a website directing traffic away from Sports Direct. They've got MPs on-side and the media are starting to turn against me. What the f*** shall we do?!"

"Send em a pen and a badge Mike, everyone loves a nice pen. That'll do it!"

Scary thing is it will for alot of people.

Was the Fairs cup the equivalent of the Europa league and Uefa Cup, or a seperate competition?

Either way i know it counts as a major honour.

Back then, it being a new competition, it was considered by many a director/board and the media and indeed fans in general (no doubt many of our own fans back in the day too), as a pointless competition where even the European Cup was still regarded with a certain disdain in many quarters as inferior and somewhat beneath the myopic superiority of our our domestic competitions.

But to those that knew football, managers, especially the newer breed, players who considered representing their country abroad as the highest honour and fans not easily swayed by the xenophobic and self righteous opinion of the media filled with hacks who once saw the typewriter as the enemy to the pen, it was a tough exciting competition and equal in many ways to the European Cup in terms of quality and the path to glory.

Football was quite different back then, Malmö were a crack European team for example and when we won the Fairs Cup so were we and had that team been added to by someone more ahead of the times or keeping of the times back then like a Revie or a Clough, the Fairs Cup winning team could have been moulded into league and European cup champions.

Look at the gates, the battles, the scenes when we brought it home, it wasn’t just some throw away competition or meaningless trophy. The mackems and others may mock it today or try and day it wasn’t a proper competition, but that’s sour grapes.

We thought we would walk it and although we won it, we soon realised just how big an achievement it was given the quality of opposition, the competitiveness of all those that entered it and what it took to win it. Again, the scenes speak for itself. Ask any of those surviving players today what they think about this so-called loser trophy and they wouldn’t swap it for a league title or an FA Cup and I don’t think those fans that were lucky enough to see us lift it would either, not then and not now.

Sadly UEFA have devalued their competitions in a sporting context over the years, but to win any piece of silverware today in Europe is still a mighty feat to achieve whether it’s Real Madrid in the CL or Chelsea in the Europa League. Although their spoilt fans will probably regard their success in that as highly as winning the reserves league...

I have written this post (see 'link' below) about our "Fabulous Fairs Cup Win" of 1969.

The tournament was eventually re-named as "The UEFA Cup" and then later as "The Europa League", but back in 1969 it was a MUCH bigger and more important tournament than it now is.

Remember, only one team went into the 'European Cup' (now called 'The Champions league') so most of the teams that would now be in the Champions League (from 2nd, 3rd and 4th position in their domestic leagues) would all be in the Fairs Cup, with us.

Here is the story of our superb 1969 Fairs Cup adventures . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=55836819&postcount=942

Thanks for sharing the link, not been on there in years, used to love that place as a reader. Bookmarked it, again cheers.

Thanks HTT.

I am proud of my "Fairs Cup" photos, etc, that I have accumulated over the years and used many of to write that long post about our 1968/1969 Fairs Cup WIN over on the 'Newcastle Forum of SkyscraperCity'.

Speaking of SkyscraperCity, it is good to see that you are planning to return. I am the Moderator over there, so if you need any help just get in touch. It is an excellent Forum !!

Guest Howaythetoon

Was the Fairs cup the equivalent of the Europa league and Uefa Cup, or a seperate competition?

Either way i know it counts as a major honour.

Back then, it being a new competition, it was considered by many a director/board and the media and indeed fans in general (no doubt many of our own fans back in the day too), as a pointless competition where even the European Cup was still regarded with a certain disdain in many quarters as inferior and somewhat beneath the myopic superiority of our our domestic competitions.

But to those that knew football, managers, especially the newer breed, players who considered representing their country abroad as the highest honour and fans not easily swayed by the xenophobic and self righteous opinion of the media filled with hacks who once saw the typewriter as the enemy to the pen, it was a tough exciting competition and equal in many ways to the European Cup in terms of quality and the path to glory.

Football was quite different back then, Malmö were a crack European team for example and when we won the Fairs Cup so were we and had that team been added to by someone more ahead of the times or keeping of the times back then like a Revie or a Clough, the Fairs Cup winning team could have been moulded into league and European cup champions.

Look at the gates, the battles, the scenes when we brought it home, it wasn’t just some throw away competition or meaningless trophy. The mackems and others may mock it today or try and day it wasn’t a proper competition, but that’s sour grapes.

We thought we would walk it and although we won it, we soon realised just how big an achievement it was given the quality of opposition, the competitiveness of all those that entered it and what it took to win it. Again, the scenes speak for itself. Ask any of those surviving players today what they think about this so-called loser trophy and they wouldn’t swap it for a league title or an FA Cup and I don’t think those fans that were lucky enough to see us lift it would either, not then and not now.

Sadly UEFA have devalued their competitions in a sporting context over the years, but to win any piece of silverware today in Europe is still a mighty feat to achieve whether it’s Real Madrid in the CL or Chelsea in the Europa League. Although their spoilt fans will probably regard their success in that as highly as winning the reserves league...

I have written this post (see 'link' below) about our "Fabulous Fairs Cup Win" of 1969.

The tournament was eventually re-named as "The UEFA Cup" and then later as "The Europa League", but back in 1969 it was a MUCH bigger and more important tournament than it now is.

Remember, only one team went into the 'European Cup' (now called 'The Champions league') so most of the teams that would now be in the Champions League (from 2nd, 3rd and 4th position in their domestic leagues) would all be in the Fairs Cup, with us.

Here is the story of our superb 1969 Fairs Cup adventures . . .

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=55836819&postcount=942

Thanks for sharing the link, not been on there in years, used to love that place as a reader. Bookmarked it, again cheers.

Thanks HTT.

I am proud of my "Fairs Cup" photos, etc, that I have accumulated over the years and used many of to write that long post about our 1968/1969 Fairs Cup WIN over on the 'Newcastle Forum of SkyscraperCity'.

Speaking of SkyscraperCity, it is good to see that you are planning to return. I am the Moderator over there, so if you need any help just get in touch. It is an excellent Forum !!

Will do cheers, I’ve never posted on there but used to browse it constantly, its such a great source of info, history and collection of old photos. Kudos to you mate, your Fairs Cup post is the kind of thing the club should be displaying in its website and inside of SJP so fans can learn about it. Just look at our attendances man and Rangers at Ibrox, Feyenoord were Dutch Champions that year and as I said it was a competition iof high standard.