Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ah, if we only knew at the time. We were all excited...

https://www.newcastle-online.org/forum/index.php?topic=40533.0

Makes for horrible reading. Reading back my own reactions I was very cautious about Ashley from the off unlike some others who had had enough of Shepherd after years of mismanagement. I would probably be in the "anything has to be better than this" camp now though. Not that I believe a takeover will happen anytime soon. It boggles the mind how many times we as fans let Ashley get away with the same old shit before we take destiny in our own hands.

There's some fucking gold in there, not just about Ashley but Fat Sam too :lol:

Guest The Little Waster

At half time Kenyon will stroll on the pitch and rip his mask off Scooby Doo style to reveal a laughing Steve Howey

Guest Howaythetoon

Shouldn't have sold then, should he?

He knew Ashley's game plan from the start and still took his money.  He's more guilty than most.

I don’t think he knew exactly Ashley’s full intentions when he sold his shares to him, let’s be honest Ashley has duped a lot of people from KK to Shearer and even Rafa over the years when it comes to his plans for the club. I know privately SJH regrets selling the club to him and also regrets how things turned out when he stepped down as chairman and following the IPO.

SJH is many things and has made a hell of a lot of money out of NUFC, but he never once hid his true intentions which was to make money, unlike Ashley though he understood the more successful the club was the more valuable it was and he delivered a hugely successful club while owner/chairman along with DH, FS, FF and KK.

The idea with the IPO was to establish the club long-term as an elite club alongside the likes of Man Utd while making the Halls and Shepherds wealthy at the same time.

I don’t think the club could have extended SJP or even built a new stadium as a private LTD company because SJH wasn’t wealthy enough to fund any of that and even if he was he would have been mad to risk his own personal wealth and assets as a guarantor which he did when he bought out the old board.

6m for shares and 13m on redevelopment which was financed a lot with grants and other money is small change compared to the cost expanding the stadium to 53k cost or how much a new stadium would have cost even back then.

SJH gets a free pass from me and is someone I regard with the utmost respect and appreciation for.