Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

The litmus test is really what the match going fans think and well basically, the fan groups are failing. 

The fan groups are 'failing' because the drones are saying everything they do is pointless, and therefore won't take part.

Yeah, so the fan groups should really make it a priority to educate the drones. The drones don't read the broadsheets.

:lol: Have you ever actually attempted this yourself? I'm not sure you appreciate how difficult and energy sapping it is to talk to brick walls, but for your own sanity I don't recommend it.

To me it looks like theres 50k fans in the City willing to accept Mike Ashleys version of NUfc- ( surviving with no ambition) and many of them see objecting to protests as part of supporting, which is really accepting this version.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't think it was necessarily the wrong time for Robson to go - the team was certainly not performing that well (we finished 5th on 56 points in 03/04 - the points total being a fairer reflection of the performance than the league position) and expectations were obviously higher then (and rightfully so).  The bigger mistake was not appointing a good manager after Robson.

Agreed, but the best way forward would have been to keep Sir Bobby in some kind of capacity and work towards finding a successor and not so much a replacement. He shouldn’t have been sacked and I don’t think we would have been in any danger of going down at all that season. He was more than capable of sorting the dressing room out, but was undermined from above and wasn’t fully supported by some of the senior players and taken advantage of by some of the younger players in that regard once it was official he was in his final season.

It stemmed from the top, Woodgate was sold and Bobby wasn’t allowed to replace him. Kluivert, Butt and Carr were all signed ahead of players he had identified and Speed was sold against his wishes. Bobby would never have turned down the signing of Rooney, but knew it was bull shit and said live on air if we have 23m for a striker which we don’t need, can I have some money to replace Woodate.

What a shitty horrible pre-season that was which only got worse. Conjunctivitis, a ridiculous pre-season in Asia and all kinds of bullshit off the pitch that had Shearer signing for Torino at one point.

Bobby lost his true captain and one guaranteed ally in Speed that summer. He was so upset about that while FS was crowing about getting 750k for a 34 year old.

To be honest, am beginning to think the only alternative is to set up our own club.

AFC Wimbledon have shown that it can be done (albeit, I appreciate, the circumstances for setting up the club we’re different to ours).

To be honest, am beginning to think the only alternative is to set up our own club.

AFC Wimbledon have shown that it can be done (albeit, I appreciate, the circumstances for setting up the club we’re different to ours).

Probably right, but I can’t see people going for it judging by the lack of protests.

yep- said it years ago- one of the things that validates Ashley is he has a monopoly on providing a team for the fans- until some of them decide otherwise. Imagine where it- / NUfc could be with another 10 years of Ashley here.

The big issue for us is that the FCB still has SJP. If a phoenix club could get SJP, then it would be much bigger than AFC Wimbledon, as NUFC has always had a much bigger following than Wimbledon.

I would happily take a decade coming up the league system to be rid of the FCB, but to make it work, the old club would need to move or die.

The litmus test is really what the match going fans think and well basically, the fan groups are failing. 

The fan groups are 'failing' because the drones are saying everything they do is pointless, and therefore won't take part.

Yeah, so the fan groups should really make it a priority to educate the drones.  The drones don't read the broadsheets.

What have they been trying to do since they started?  What do you think the open letter that you've just ridiculed is about? Trying to ramp up pressure by educating those further afield about the state of the club.

Why don't we try something totally simple/different (Never seen it done before) we can see noone wants to stop backing the team under Rafa anyway.So simply if you go to the game in any official toon shirt wear it inside out? It would get the sponsors to listen the media would spot it and less money when the deal expires ?

Yeah, so the fan groups should really make it a priority to educate the drones.  The drones don't read the broadsheets.

What have they been trying to do since they started?  What do you think the open letter that you've just ridiculed is about? Trying to ramp up pressure by educating those further afield about the state of the club.

Absolutely. How one track minded can you be not to see that's the aim? Do you honestly think its aimed at him directly in terms of getting him to spend? It's open because his shareholders, sports media. business and fans will see it.

I'm with HTT, the disquiet was more about the behaviour and attitude of some of the players. Once Dyer refused to be a sub against Boro (IIRC), it was all over.

Very much this.......there was some whingeing and moaning (as every other manager has experienced at SJP) but in no way it can be described as 'hounding' him out. I'm just amazed a fellow NUFC fan could describe it as thus.

I just don’t get the buzz people seem to get from mocking people who are making a concerted effort to make things harder for the bloke we all hate :lol:

It’s one thing to be like “I don’t agree with this” and another entirely to be sarcy as fuck like “hahaha oooooo a letter! A little letter! That’ll show ‘em!”

I just don’t get the mindset.

The open letter is an absolute pointless exercise apart from making those who wrote it feel better about themselves in that they are doing something about all this. I'll never discourage anything anyone ever does to get rid of Ashley, though this move is a nothing move with little consequence, but what else can they do? The mass have shown their true colours, they can't be arsed to do anything and refuse to participate in anything that involves any effort from their behalf. Because of that Ashley is going nowhere.

I put it down to the type and class of people who associate with football these days. The 'working man' era have either been priced out, barred or gave up long ago. SJP is now full of the next generation of fan. The customer. No different from those who attend the cinema and in that the emotion has been diluted to near nothingness.

Guest The Little Waster

Ashely is a joke the team is a joke the club is a joke and the fans are the biggest joke of the lot . Newcastle United is dead folks ... get used to it

Guest chopey

The open letter is an absolute pointless exercise apart from making those who wrote it feel better about themselves in that they are doing something about all this. I'll never discourage anything anyone ever does to get rid of Ashley, though this move is a nothing move with little consequence, but what else can they do? The mass have shown their true colours, they can't be arsed to do anything and refuse to participate in anything that involves any effort from their behalf. Because of that Ashley is going nowhere.

I put it down to the type and class of people who associate with football these days. The 'working man' era have either been priced out, barred or gave up long ago. SJP is now full of the next generation of fan. The customer. No different from those who attend the cinema and in that the emotion has been diluted to near nothingness.

That's a cracking way to put it, I saw a steward last night tell a fan to stop shouting with a finger on his lips.

Guest neesy111

I agree with hughsey. Moving on from SBR was not necessarily a bad idea, we just monumentally fucked up the replacement

Yeap, SBR was making some bad mistakes for the club, we needed a change but not that change.

This has been Ashley's target all along: A stadium full of consumption-zombies.

I agree with hughsey. Moving on from SBR was not necessarily a bad idea, we just monumentally f***ed up the replacement

Yeap, SBR was making some bad mistakes for the club, we needed a change but not that change.

Unless I'm misremembering, the consensus was that he'd lost the dressing room and a disciplinarian was needed to whip the players into line, hence why Sourpuss came in.

In hindsight, it was a shit idea and the players needed sone Pep style leadership instead, but hindsight is a great thing.

Real shame, because the club had some fantastic players at the time. Could have won stuff if they'd have performed anywhere near their potential.

Guest neesy111

This has been Ashley's target all along: A stadium full of consumption-zombies.

Yeap, he wants customers not fans.

I just don’t get the buzz people seem to get from mocking people who are making a concerted effort to make things harder for the bloke we all hate :lol:

It’s one thing to be like “I don’t agree with this” and another entirely to be sarcy as f*** like “hahaha oooooo a letter! A little letter! That’ll show ‘em!”

I just don’t get the mindset.

You're assuming a buzz.  There's no malice intended against those in the fans groups, just against the the letter.  I don't think the opinion of a random user on an internet forum should really matter to those involved unless there is an ounce of truth in it.  In which case, maybe it'll be helpful in the long run.