Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would prefer them to Ashley like. Though my ideal ownership is fan ownership. The Man City owners are ruining football and if it could be helped I wouldn’t want NUFC associated with that, tbh. If Kenyon buys the club I will be more than happy. Someone who knows how to maximise the clubs potential in an organic way.

Guest neesy111

I do sympathize with the human rights angle, and I would be uncomfortable with it, but this where football is now. There is no moral high ground anymore. In terms of infrastructure, investment in the local area, desire to win, they are the best owners you are going to get.  It's not like our current owner is a paragon of virtue, and we are still shit.

I mean its like the Qatar world cup, it's a disgrace on a lot of levels, but everyone here will watch it. I will and I'm not happy about it. But that's the game these days.

:thup:

Should probably stop complaining about Sports Direct being a shit employer if we're now prepared to put up with human rights abusers as long as they invest in the club and break our transfer record.

Should probably stop complaining about Sports Direct being a shit employer if we're now prepared to put up with human rights abusers as long as they invest in the club and break our transfer record.

Logic.

This is it for me. There's levels of it. All my clothes a probably sweatshop made to a degree but it's either that or walk aboot bollocks akimbo. Bit different when choosing to attend a football game. As someone who has been involved in very militant SD protests I'd stand to be a massive hypocrite.

I would prefer them to Ashley like. Though my ideal ownership is fan ownership. The Man City owners are ruining football and if it could be helped I wouldn’t want NUFC associated with that, tbh. If Kenyon buys the club I will be more than happy. Someone who knows how to maximise the clubs potential in an organic way.

For all we know, Kenyon could be heading a group who would be no different to Ashley. Most of them are looking at football to make money, it's not guaranteed they will invest in the squad to make us compete for silverware. The best bet for that is probably Arab money, they are the ones for whom winning is more important than profit. If we turn our noses up, they'll just put the money in another club. I'm sure Man City fans cry into their beer every night at their misfortune.

But Mike doesn’t invest in the club or break the transfer record, which is my actual issue with him.

For all we know, Kenyon could be heading a group who would be no different to Ashley. Most of them are looking at football to make money, it's not guaranteed they will invest in the squad to make us compete for silverware. The best bet for that is probably Arab money, they are the ones for whom winning is more important than profit. If we turn our noses up, they'll just put the money in another club. I'm sure Man City fans cry into their beer every night at their misfortune.

I imagined Kenyon will have to turn a profit for the group somewhere along the line. Though that can still be done while improving the club in an organic fashion.

I can’t see any potential buyers from the Gulf states even wanting to negotiate with Ashley now, after the debacle in 2008 where he made a fool of himself out there in refusing to meet potential buyers and generally acting like a drunken fool with no regard for local social mores. Additionally, the revelations from Jimenez where Ashley allegedly insulted the rulers, the locals and Islam in general.

I doubt they’d want to bother with him after all that.

This is it for me. There's levels of it. All my clothes a probably sweatshop made to a degree but it's either that or walk aboot bollocks akimbo. Bit different when choosing to attend a football game. As someone who has been involved in very militant SD protests I'd stand to be a massive hypocrite.

What if they invest in the surrounding area? And that does benefit the ordinary people in this city? I do get it but its a very nuanced thing. Where do you draw the line? Will you watch the world cup? Knowing its been built on slavery? Hard thing man

I agree. Just don't think I could fully get on board in my support of them - support the team not the regime if you will? :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

This is the thing though MD and it's similar to your point yesterday about Bielsa and how diving's part of the game. Yeah, it is part of the game, but that doesn't mean that you'd not go out of your way to avoid it, let alone actually go out of your way to choose it.

Guest firetotheworks

This is the thing though MD and it's similar to your point yesterday about Bielsa and how diving's part of the game. Yeah, it is part of the game, but that doesn't mean that you'd not go out of your way to avoid it, let alone actually go out of your way to choose it.

Yeah that's totally fair enough. It's just a very difficult thing imo, with the Bielsa thing, my annoyance is that it has been done by coaches here in the past, and now that it's johnny foreigner its some sort of disgrace to sportsmanship (not saying that's your stance).  And I do agree, I would struggle with the moral repercussions of that sort of owner, but at the same time, I'll watch the world cup, and I know what's happened there. It's a sad part of the game, but the reality is now, that dirty money is all over the place, its whether you can separate yourself from it, and still enjoy the football and the winning. I mean during the "aguerrrooooooo" moment, not one single fan would be considering the owners. And honestly, I'd love to see that in my lifetime, and whether while that's ultimately selfish, it can't be helped.

Very similar to a point I made in the politics thread about how when you think about how some would have welcomed the Saudis, or the Man City owners, it becomes very easy to understand why people vote for some of the things they do.

About the media thing, I think it's just that they were caught that it became a story tbh. The media will already know that it goes on but it's much harder to make a big news story out of thin air than it is when there's an example on your lap.

I imagined Kenyon will have to turn a profit for the group somewhere along the line. Though that can still be done while improving the club in an organic fashion.

It can be, but there's no guarantees either. We wouldn't know that until we found out who the owners were and what their intent was.

I don't care who owns us provided they build a proper club that respects the fans, desires to WIN, and will spend money to improve facilities, academy, and have a positive impact in the local community. What they do outside of that, I'll reserve judgement later.

Kenyon would probably come in, tidy everything up and flip it for a tidy profit. He could attract a higher level of buyer than MA could.

I think this is exactly what he will do.

When when did i miss somthing!

Kenyon would probably come in, tidy everything up and flip it for a tidy profit. He could attract a higher level of buyer than MA could.

I think this is exactly what he will do.

When when did i miss somthing!

You missed a couple of spaces on the start of that sentence