Newcastle United vs Everton - 13/12/17 @ 7.45pm

HaydnNUFC

Understandable the crowd are a bit quiet, we've been losing for weeks. It's down to the players to give them a lift.

Did they not do that with the early goal and strong start on Saturday?

Erm, yes? I didn’t say they didn’t.

Was it still bad at that point?

Sadly it was still pish and I'm at the front of the Gallowgate towards The Corner.

I genuinely just think we're in a state of total limbo and there's very little faith in the players, which isn't the most useful combination at the moment.

The takeover will make a world of difference, but relying on the crowd before that is fanciful at best. Need to grind out some results ugly IMO.

Atmosphere was great up until the equaliser on Saturday. Even the Leicester manager said it was a difficult atmosphere to play in as have a few other opposition managers at SJP this season (Bilic, Klopp, Pochettino) The problem is, and you'll notice it tonight, that the style of play absolutely sucks the life out of the crowd and people become restless and even, dare I say it, bored by 20 minutes in. We never have a sustained amount of pressure on the opposition goal which along with a refereeing howler or a bad tackle are things that lift the crowd. People are edgy because we don't really look much of a threat going forward yet look vulnerable when the opposition do. This isnt a pop at the manager as hes doing what he can with a Championship quality squad but what we're watching now isn't condusive to a stirring atmosphere.

Fans react to what they see on the pitch, and if it's pretty turgid stiff the atmosphere will reflect that.

I completely see your point, but at the same time I just don't see it as a valid excuse to sit there in silence/moaning. I just think that people need to realise that their role as supporters is to sing and encourage, get behind the team. You can't go to a match (imo) with the mindset of 'well, I'll give socks if we're battering their goal'.

And, for me, I think if we're defending a lead and the players are giving their all it can create that siege mentality and rally everyone around the team (but obviously most don't see it that way....probably because we're so unconvincing defending, in fairness). 

Understandable the crowd are a bit quiet, we've been losing for weeks. It's down to the players to give them a lift.

Did they not do that with the early goal and strong start on Saturday?

Erm, yes? I didn’t say they didn’t.

Was it still bad at that point?

Sadly it was still pish and I'm at the front of the Gallowgate towards The Corner.

I genuinely just think we're in a state of total limbo and there's very little faith in the players, which isn't the most useful combination at the moment.

The takeover will make a world of difference, but relying on the crowd before that is fanciful at best. Need to grind out some results ugly IMO.

Atmosphere was great up until the equaliser on Saturday. Even the Leicester manager said it was a difficult atmosphere to play in as have a few other opposition managers at SJP this season (Bilic, Klopp, Pochettino) The problem is, and you'll notice it tonight, that the style of play absolutely sucks the life out of the crowd and people become restless and even, dare I say it, bored by 20 minutes in. We never have a sustained amount of pressure on the opposition goal which along with a refereeing howler or a bad tackle are things that lift the crowd. People are edgy because we don't really look much of a threat going forward yet look vulnerable when the opposition do. This isnt a pop at the manager as hes doing what he can with a Championship quality squad but what we're watching now isn't condusive to a stirring atmosphere.

Fans react to what they see on the pitch, and if it's pretty turgid stiff the atmosphere will reflect that.

I completely see your point, but at the same time I just don't see it as a valid excuse to sit there in silence/moaning. I just think that people need to realise that their role as supporters is to sing and encourage, get behind the team. You can't go to a match (imo) with the mindset of 'well, I'll give socks if we're battering their goal'.

And, for me, I think if we're defending a lead and the players are giving their all it can create that siege mentality and rally everyone around the team (but obviously most don't see it that way....probably because we're so unconvincing defending, in fairness). 

It's human nature and that's the way it's always been in this country. It's not the same as In Germany or Turkey for example where the atmosphere is choreographed and they have cheerleaders with their backs to the pitch telling the crowd what to sing. In England the support is more spontaneous and reactive to what is happening on the pitch. If we're showing plenty of attacking intent and the players are throwing themselves into tackles the crowd will be right up for it. If we're on the back foot, with little possession and showing no attacking threat it will be flat. I've been going since the 80s and tbh that's how it's always been regarding the crowd.

6 hours till Joselu time  :celb:

You mean Josegol

Hiding his true ability until a breakthrough came with the takeover talks, under strict instructions from Rafa to not gan mental, thereby increasing the value of the club and strengthening Ashley's hand.