Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

Late to the party and all that, but couldn't 'Pep' have been fucking gracious in defeat? You got the 3 points, wind your neck in. Privileged cunt.

To be fair to him, a couple of sentences later he said that any manager is free to do whatever they want to try and stop them, and it's up to them to overcome different challenges if they want to win. Obviously his line everyone's picked up on is that we didn't want to play.

If anyone is anything other than of the mind "at least we didn't allow our GD to get destroyed" after that, then they are out of their mind. Time to move on from this, it's over and we now have games that are way more important to us coming up, unfortunately the way the PL is today this was a game we had little chance in and very nearly got something out of. The PL is crying out for a salary cap but there is no way to employ that in a global game like football.

You’re right time to move on but not having anyone say I’m out of my mind. All this talk about we kept it tight we would have taken that result before the game, we would have been cut to pieces if we played any other way etc etc is valid if the way the team played especially first half had restricted city to only a chance or two, however it didn’t and the only reason we didn’t get a hiding was that city had one of those games when they left their shooting boots at home. The cut us to ribbons in that first half and created a number of decent opportunities up to the subs to have won by the 5, 6 or 7 goals. It wasn’t good play that they only won one nil, it wasn’t keeping it down by keeping it tight, it was purely down to poor finishing, a couple of good saves and a bit of bad luck.

People will say but but it was still only one nil and just see it as that formation was the reason for it total bollocks. People arguing the players were at fault I can certainly have some sympathy with that but it certainly wasn’t because of the way we were set up that kept the score down that was purely due to city’s unusual lack of clinical finishing to thank for that. For the people who are actually saying there wasn’t much created I would suggest you see the game again or optician.

Let’s move onto Brighton but I can certainly say for sure I’m not losing my mind.

Sorry but in most of the games we have conceded it has been down to weak defending rather than the tactics, and it was the same yesterday. The same teams who have cut us to ribbons have looked toothless when up against more determined defending. Chelsea come to mind. Parking the bus isn't pretty, but to do it properly you have to have defenders who'll leave no spaces, and will block the shots with their balls if they have to. I don't think we have had that even when our shape has been fine otherwise.

If anyone is anything other than of the mind "at least we didn't allow our GD to get destroyed" after that, then they are out of their mind. Time to move on from this, it's over and we now have games that are way more important to us coming up, unfortunately the way the PL is today this was a game we had little chance in and very nearly got something out of. The PL is crying out for a salary cap but there is no way to employ that in a global game like football.

You’re right time to move on but not having anyone say I’m out of my mind. All this talk about we kept it tight we would have taken that result before the game, we would have been cut to pieces if we played any other way etc etc is valid if the way the team played especially first half had restricted city to only a chance or two, however it didn’t and the only reason we didn’t get a hiding was that city had one of those games when they left their shooting boots at home. The cut us to ribbons in that first half and created a number of decent opportunities up to the subs to have won by the 5, 6 or 7 goals. It wasn’t good play that they only won one nil, it wasn’t keeping it down by keeping it tight, it was purely down to poor finishing, a couple of good saves and a bit of bad luck.

People will say but but it was still only one nil and just see it as that formation was the reason for it total bollocks. People arguing the players were at fault I can certainly have some sympathy with that but it certainly wasn’t because of the way we were set up that kept the score down that was purely due to city’s unusual lack of clinical finishing to thank for that. For the people who are actually saying there wasn’t much created I would suggest you see the game again or optician.

Let’s move onto Brighton but I can certainly say for sure I’m not losing my mind.

Sorry but in most of the games we have conceded it has been down to weak defending rather than the tactics, and it was the same yesterday. The same teams who have cut us to ribbons have looked toothless when up against more determined defending. Chelsea come to mind. Parking the bus isn't pretty, but to do it properly you have to have defenders who'll leave no spaces, and will block the shots with their balls if they have to. I don't think we have had that even when our shape has been fine otherwise.

As I said that I have some sympathy with the fact that the players are not good enough but what I maintain is that we did not keep it tight as some in here are trying to say we were ripped apart in the game until the subs and only avoided a hammering due to poor finishing. The amount of space they were afforded and the lack of players closing down and not putting blocks or their foot in was abysmal until the subs. The last time we played city was the perfect way to play last night was that down to the players or tactics is a good question and unless we were in the dressing room before the game we will not know for sure. What I do know is the way that team played didn’t work and on 9 times out of ten we would have been beaten by 5 plus as city wouldn’t have missed all those chances. When we put three of our better players on we were much more of a match and pressed them a lot better also which is good for thought. People have opinions though and nobody is going to change so as I said let’s move onto Brighton.

FWIW mighty_mag expected us to get 'completely destroyed' in that game. As did the vast majority of us.

I cant argue, that is true. But I watched Stoke City dominate Man City a couple of seasons ago, and they just went for it.

That City side apart from KDB last night was weaker than ive seen. Especially throwing fernandinho into the back four. Pep was laughing inside fully aware we had bottled it.

Fernandinho can step into defence if needed and I very much doubt it.

Late to the party and all that, but couldn't 'Pep' have been f***ing gracious in defeat? You got the 3 points, wind your neck in. Privileged c***.

To be fair to him, a couple of sentences later he said that any manager is free to do whatever they want to try and stop them, and it's up to them to overcome different challenges if they want to win. Obviously his line everyone's picked up on is that we didn't want to play.

Yeah I thought his comments overall were sound. It's true we didn't want to play BUT like you mentioned he recognised that the challenge is for his team to overcome that.

Plus he was complimentary towards Rafa so got no issues with what he said.

It's the fact he said it at all that's grating. "One team doesn't want to play" = "one team doesn't want to bend over for the most expensively-assembled squad in Premier League history". He can fuck off with that shit.

When you’ve got the best squad (comfortably) in the league it’s easy to be a bit of a cunt in interviews. If teams play an expansive game against them they’re cut to ribbons so it makes sense to try and provoke managers of poorer teams to have a go at them so they can just play through them.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who saw all our misplaced passes in the first half could think we should have had fewer players behind the ball. It's suicidal to "have a go" if you are committing (being pressed into) basic errors.

fwiw, it was game over at Man U when Gayle had a pass intercepted at 2-1 early in the second half. It was on the edge of their box. Against Man City we were losing the ball 30-40 yards from our own goal.

I hate to flog a long-dead horse, but all the arguments about how we could have been 3-4-5 down at half-time ignore one massive variable:

We have one of the greatest tacticians in the world in our dugout. He regularly changes tactics mid game, and HTT has repeatedly remarked on the 35 minutes thing. At that point our play changed - because Rafa changed the focus.

Therefore, assume that Aguero or De Breuyne had scored earlier - why do you think Rafa would not change strategy at that point? You assume he would continue with "As you were boys" instead of making tactical changes?

I just don't think it's sound arguing to ignore our greatest asset's greatest asset.

I hate to flog a long-dead horse, but all the arguments about how we could have been 3-4-5 down at half-time ignore one massive variable:

We have one of the greatest tacticians in the world in our dugout. He regularly changes tactics mid game, and HTT has repeatedly remarked on the 35 minutes thing. At that point our play changed - because Rafa changed the focus.

Therefore, assume that Aguero or De Breuyne had scored earlier - why do you think Rafa would not change strategy at that point? You assume he would continue with "As you were boys" instead of making tactical changes?

I just don't think it's sound arguing to ignore our greatest asset's greatest asset.

You can quote as many variables as you like the fact is that we could and should have been blown out of sight with the chances they missed. People mention the 35 minute mark but really there was no vast improvement until the subs were made. It has been flogged to death now though and there is a massive split in opinion on the game which won’t be changed. Healthy that there is discussion but I think we should all just leave it now and move on. I’m not going to change my opinion, HTT is not, you’re not and I doubt anyone else will either.

You can quote as many variables as you like the fact is that we could and should have been blown out of sight with the chances they missed. People mention the 35 minute mark but really there was no vast improvement until the subs were made. It has been flogged to death now though and there is a massive split in opinion on the game which won’t be changed. Healthy that there is discussion but I think we should all just leave it now and move on. I’m not going to change my opinion, HTT is not, you’re not and I doubt anyone else will either.

Actually, the fact is that we didn't :lol:

Also, changing opinions is moot anyway as it has no baring whatsoever on Benitez or the players or anything that happens on the pitch.

Guest Howaythetoon

Actually, the fact is that we didn't :lol:

Also, changing opinions is moot anyway as it has no baring whatsoever on Benitez or the players or anything that happens on the pitch.

Well let’s all close the forum and all go home then!

Actually, the fact is that we didn't [emoji38]

What are these chances they should have blown us away with?

Guest Howaythetoon

Actually, the fact is that we didn't [emoji38]

What are these chances they should have blown us away with?

They had 4 good chances in that first half, scoring one of them. Anyway that’s not my point, my point is that when you totally surrender everything to a team like that you are just begging them to score and we all know from the past that when we do concede against the better teams we usually concede a few more. On another day those tactics would have lead to a half-time drubbing renderimg any second half game plan obsolete from our point of view and no doubt more and more goals against. We got lucky and as the game wore on we created chances of our own which would have happened anyway, City always give you a chance or two. Again I wasn’t looking for us to go at them from the off or go toe to toe, I just don’t like nor accept the total surrender at home that was those first 35 minutes or so. It’s suicide football far more than it would have been going at them as has been the argument well made on here. Just IMO of course. I’ll let sleeping dogs lie as it’s been argued to death now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ifs and buts are the most retarded form of argument. Means I could counter with...but, if Aarons made that break within the dreaded 35mins, and actually passed it to one of us, we would have scored.

It also suggests the game would have played out exactly the same if they'd scored a second :idiot2:

Football is all about ifs and buts, that’s why we lament Fenton’s two goals or losing 4-3 to Liverpool. That’s why we have this actual very forum. Howay man....

Guest Howaythetoon

Well once we get taken over we can all agree that there'll be no need to be so defensive, we can go at Man City as equals...  :lol: :lol:

Aye because we all expected that the other night...

And by that logic after a takeover we should be hammering the likes of City...

Well once we get taken over we can all agree that there'll be no need to be so defensive, we can go at Man City as equals...  :lol: :lol:

Aye because we all expected that the other night...

And by that logic after a takeover we should be hammering the likes of City...

:lol: Relax ffs

https://www.themag.co.uk/2017/12/pep-guardiola-423m-elephant-room-newcastle-united-manchester-city/

Their team on Wednesday cost £375.2 million and their subs bench a further £145.3 million.

The Newcastle side, in stark contrast, cost £53 million, and our bench £44.6 million: De Bruyne cost more than our whole team on the night. So £520.5 million funded by Abu Dhabi Sovereign wealth plays £97.6 million out of Big Mike’s (ED: Our!) coffers. (Transfer info courtesy of www.transferleague.co.uk)