Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

My main gripe with tactics and formation is that we are playing joselu and diame, it is understandable to sit back and try to stay compact, but i feel like having merino and gayle instead of the two i mentioned would give us more time and chances of a counter, so far most of the time we get ahold of the ball it ends up being some sort of game of hot potato that ends up with lumping it forward towards joselu who doesnt have the pace to beat anyone there

Saying things like "I'd rather us lose 10-0 trying" is exactly the myth we are trying to move away from

It’s an expression meaning I’d rather try to win and lose and try not and lose, surely you can grasp that....

That's not the right comparison at all. Would you rather be more attacking and take a certain defeat or sit back and have even 1% chance for a point?

Sorry but this is embarrassing, I get they are a great team and we are a s*** team, but for 35 or so minutes it was like we weren’t even on the pitch. At least have a go, I’d rather lose 10-0 trying than 3 or 4 not trying. It’s awful stuff. They have a responsibility to all those paying to have a go and at least compete. This is not a way I want to see us play again ever, it goes against the whole meaning of playing a game of football and certainly against my own ideals. It stinks and I’m not buying it just because there is this gulf in class. Oh what have we become!

Brighton/Stoke. This game's literally meaningless.

Edit: With Gayle, Merino, Atsu & Ritchie on the bench, it would seem Rafa rightfully agrees with the sentiment

I'm amazed by some of the comments having a go at Rafa on here today - you guys must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Really?  I've looked at most places and this place is the exception which doesn't surprise me.

Again people getting lambasted for questioning Rafas decisions. He is the one that has told us to play like that in the first half and quite frankly its embarrassing from him. Hes basically just forfeited the game he may as well have just said weve got no f***ing hope just go through the motions.

Its 1 game for f***s sake its not a season defining game, we aren't relegated if we lose, so why go with this embarrassing formula and team that hes put it. Hes got it so f***ing wrong tonight its unreal

You are alarmingly unintelligent man. Keep these thoughts locked away in your mind man.

Alarmingly unintelligent really??

You know absolutely nothing about me to make such a ridiculous comment to be honest. Just because I question decisions made by the untouchable one does not make me unintelligent as you say. I take it youre so blinkered that you think tonights approach is totally acceptable from a footballing standpoint. For a team in the same division to be so shit scared and petrified of the opposition they just cower in the corner. If that's an ok approach for the NUFC you want to support then good luck

Football is about competing, about hope even if you are inferior on paper. Tonights first half is about a team rolling over and having its belly tickled.....its embarassing

I'm amazed by some of the comments having a go at Rafa on here today - you guys must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Really?  I've looked at most places and this place is the exception which doesn't surprise me.

Again people getting lambasted for questioning Rafas decisions. He is the one that has told us to play like that in the first half and quite frankly its embarrassing from him. Hes basically just forfeited the game he may as well have just said weve got no f***ing hope just go through the motions.

Its 1 game for f***s sake its not a season defining game, we aren't relegated if we lose, so why go with this embarrassing formula and team that hes put it. Hes got it so f***ing wrong tonight its unreal

A hammering to our goal difference could be season defining.

throw in the confidence hit to a side thats been on a bad run except for last weekend and it is very easily something that could relegate us.

Guest Howaythetoon

In our defence, this is a one off, although we usually surrender possession to the oppo, it’s not to this extreme or level. As Dave rightly said Pardew would set up like this most often against anyone home or away. I do not accept it though even if we get a ‘result’ whatever that may be. Not the way we’ve played anyway. By the way, for all of G.Neville’s bitching and he’s right, his employers are to blame for the huge disparity and the way teams set up against Man City because staying up for 12 or more teams in this league is the be all and end all, anything else a bonus. Even Europ League football is considered an inconvenience and a threat to league survival. So fuck Sky and fuck Neville the Manc cunt who obviously hates Rafa.

You are alarmingly unintelligent man. Keep these thoughts locked away in your mind man.

Alarmingly unintelligent really??

You know absolutely nothing about me to make such a ridiculous comment to be honest. Just because I question decisions made by the untouchable one does not make me unintelligent as you say. I take it youre so blinkered that you think tonights approach is totally acceptable from a footballing standpoint. For a team in the same division to be so s*** scared and petrified of the opposition the just cower in the corner. If that's an ok approach for the NUFC you want to support then good luck

Football is about competing, about hope even if you are inferior on paper. Tonights first half is about a team rolling over and having its belly tickled.....its embarassing

Footballing wise you are alarmingly unintelligent. And phenomenally ridiculous. Not to mention spectacularly delusional. And overly romantic. Might I even say especially daft.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT - if this stays 1-0 til the last few minutes and we nick an equaliser, would you change your mind?

Never on the way we ‘played’ those first 35 minutes. You could say well the plan worked, but that wasn’t a plan, it was 100% surrender and no team should ever submit like that.