Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

Would those complaining be upset had Aarons effort travelled another foot?

And before answering 'we only started playing after they scored', that's the whole point. Keep it tight, keep it where a single goal could make the difference and don't get battered. Wait for an opportunity.

I’d be over the moon with a draw, even a 1-0 defeat at this stage, but I’ll never be happy with how we set up and played those first 35 minutes, never. It’s defeatist and cowardly. Even if we fucking won.

Well that's ludicrous. We're not this defensive every match, we're playing the best and most in-form team in Europe.

How is it embarrassing to be 1-0 down at half time? This is against a team that scores goals for fun, imagine the embarrassment if we lost 10-0, how much damage would that do mentally to the team, how much damage would that do to our goal difference? We don't have a team that can play attacking football against this lot, the best we can hope for currently is try to stop them scoring and possibly nick a counter if the chance arises. Calling for some weird ass plan of just throwing caution to the wind is plain mental  ???

The score line isn’t embarrassing, it’s the way we have played or rather the way we have basically gave up the game. No one is saying throw caution to the wind but howay man, we were camped on o own 20myard box from minute one. Hoofing it at every opportunity. I’ve never understood the sit back and just let them have it tactic, especially against a team like Man City. It’s basically forefeiting the game and that’s unacceptable at home with a sell out crowd. I agree with that c*** Gary Neville, it’s unaccetible.

Is that not the whole point though? The scoreline wouldn't be 1-0 if we'd played more openly in the first half? They'd have most likely stuck several more past us.

We are lucky not to be several down so by the same token... I’m a gambling man when it comes to football, not in the literal sense, but I’d rather take my chances!

I like Rafa's odds better than yours.

How is it embarrassing to be 1-0 down at half time? This is against a team that scores goals for fun, imagine the embarrassment if we lost 10-0, how much damage would that do mentally to the team, how much damage would that do to our goal difference? We don't have a team that can play attacking football against this lot, the best we can hope for currently is try to stop them scoring and possibly nick a counter if the chance arises. Calling for some weird ass plan of just throwing caution to the wind is plain mental  ???

The score line isn’t embarrassing, it’s the way we have played or rather the way we have basically gave up the game. No one is saying throw caution to the wind but howay man, we were camped on o own 20myard box from minute one. Hoofing it at every opportunity. I’ve never understood the sit back and just let them have it tactic, especially against a team like Man City. It’s basically forefeiting the game and that’s unacceptable at home with a sell out crowd. I agree with that c*** Gary Neville, it’s unaccetible.

Is that not the whole point though? The scoreline wouldn't be 1-0 if we'd played more openly in the first half? They'd have most likely stuck several more past us.

We are lucky not to be several down so by the same token... I’m a gambling man when it comes to football, not in the literal sense, but I’d rather take my chances!

So surely by that rationale the odds would have been greater that they'd seriously stuff us and score more if we'd been more open. The better odds on us getting anything from the game would be to soak it up and nick a counter if possible? As unlikely as it is, it 'could' still happen.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm amazed by some of the comments having a go at Rafa on here today - you guys must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Be better if we were 4-0 down and out of sight mate, instead of one good corner away from a point. :thup:

Howay Dave, you cannot be happy with what you’re witnessing. I can safely say at 1-0 I’d take that at this stage, but not that performance and again I’d rather us have a go and lose anyway than not have a go and lose anyway and I guarantee we will lose heavily if we keep playing the way we have just as likely as we would by not playing the way we have. If your not on the ball and don’t attack you have zero chance. Give me one chance over zero. Fucking Ashley the cunt, this is what he’s done to our club. I don’t want to use any other name but under any other manager this would not be acceptable, reality.

I'm amazed by some of the comments having a go at Rafa on here today - you guys must be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Be better if we were 4-0 down and out of sight mate, instead of one good corner away from a point. :thup:

Howay Dave, you cannot be happy with what you’re witnessing. I can safely say at 1-0 I’d take that at this stage, but not that performance and again I’d rather us have a go and lose anyway than not have a go and lose anyway and I guarantee we will lose heavily if we keep playing the way we have just as likely as we would by not playing the way we have. If your not on the ball and don’t attack you have zero chance. Give me one chance over zero. Fucking Ashley the cunt, this is what he’s done to our club. I don’t want to use any other name but under any other manager this would not be acceptable, reality.

Maybe not quite as extreme but under other managers we played like this against far inferior teams. Weekly.

Really?  I've looked at most places and this place is the exception which doesn't surprise me.

Again people getting lambasted for questioning Rafas decisions. He is the one that has told us to play like that in the first half and quite frankly its embarrassing from him. Hes basically just forfeited the game he may as well have just said weve got no fucking hope just go through the motions.

Its 1 game for fucks sake its not a season defining game, we aren't relegated if we lose, so why go with this embarrassing formula and team that hes put it. Hes got it so fucking wrong tonight its unreal

Sorry but this is embarrassing, I get they are a great team and we are a s*** team, but for 35 or so minutes it was like we weren’t even on the pitch. At least have a go, I’d rather lose 10-0 trying than 3 or 4 not trying. It’s awful stuff. They have a responsibility to all those paying to have a go and at least compete. This is not a way I want to see us play again ever, it goes against the whole meaning of playing a game of football and certainly against my own ideals. It stinks and I’m not buying it just because there is this gulf in class. Oh what have we become!

The plan is to stay in the game, keep it tight and take a rare opportunity. To say we're not trying is absolutely crazy.

This.

So the best way is let them just encamp in your half creating chance after chance. They could have scored five or six that half. If you give quality teams time and space they will tear you apart we’re not even in their face when they have the ball.

Exactly, so why needlessly press, or 'get in their face', and leave even more space in behind for them to move into? Rafa's approach was absolutely the right one - keep it tight, frustrate them, let them over-commit and hope to catch them on the counter. Anyone suggesting otherwise is being overly romantic.

If your in their face they haven’t got the time to create as they are Uber pressure man but if you allow the team to constantly move forward with no challenges and ample time to pick out their space and chances quality teams will. That is what is happening I’m absolutely amazed that people think that way of playing is the best way to play against these teams. Look at Bristol City last week that’s how the team should have been set up.

Guest Howaythetoon

So surely by that rationale the odds would have been greater that they'd seriously stuff us and score more if we'd been more open. The better odds on us getting anything from the game would be to soak it up and nick a counter if possible? As unlikely as it is, it 'could' still happen.

Soaking it up and hitting the counter was us against Liverpool, the first 35 minutes or so was Man City and and 11 people purporting to be a football team just standing around doing fuck all.

Wish we were getting thrashed so at least we would have a go.

Stupid comment.

Fits in with the mood though.

Nah man! We can still grab something with a cheeky set piece at this rate.

Aside from that we need to not throw our goal difference into disarray.