Newcastle United v Brighton & Hove Albion - 30/12/2017 @ 15.00

Robster

They're 3 points above us in the table, have scored even less than we have, have a worse GD ... The onus is still on our front 6 to create and finish; this was never going to be a harsh test for the defense.

Not super thrilled about Darlow but I'm almost certain he won't be the deciding factor in the game.

Surely if Woodman doesn't get a chance here then he's probably never likely to under Rafa?

In a crucial Premier League match? ???

Aye a crucial Premier League match where our 1st choice keeper is injured and the supposed 2nd clearly isn't rated since he's just recently been dropped after what?  2 games i think?  If Rafa rates him enough to have him sat on the bench then why can't he start instead of our already proven dodgy alternative option? 

I'd also say if he can't handle the pressure of a crucial game at his age then he's in the wrong game.

Surely Woodman is earmarked for a debut against Luton? I'd probably go with Darlow even though he's garbage, purely for the experience factor.

Woodman should have been out on loan for the last 2-3 years tbh, wasting away in the u23's when he needs first team game time

Surely Woodman is earmarked for a debut against Luton? I'd probably go with Darlow even though he's garbage, purely for the experience factor.

Woodman should have been out on loan for the last 2-3 years tbh, wasting away in the u23's when he needs first team game time

I think he has been out on loan the past couple years in the EFL and SPL, probably should've been out this season too with a recall clause in for us.

Imagine he'll start vs Luton next Saturday.

Would like us to start like this vs Brighton:

Woodman

Yedlin  Lascelles  Mbemba  Dummet

Hayden

Shelvey      Merino

Aarrons                              Atsu

Gayle

Darlow is error-prone, Woodman has to start playing games sometime. Why not now?

Mbemba deserves to keep his place.

Hayden to protect the back four.

Shelvey and Merino for creativity.

Lets give Aarrons some games in a row and find out how good he is while he's not injured. Ritchie and Murphy hasn't been good recently. Ritchie to come on if we need to change things in the second half.

Aarrons, Atsu and Gayle to give us some speed on the wings and up front.

Lets go after them from the start and keep the ball on the ground!!!

Howay the lads!!!

Nervy 2-2.

I know there are a lot of points to play for and the tantalising/tortuous (delete as appropriate in Feb) Jan window but I genuinely think we are f***ed if we don't win games like this. For me, it falls into the same category as the three games against fellow relegation contenders towards ends of 2015-16 season we got one point from (was it Sunderland, Villa, Norwich?). Same manager, similar scenario. Different result?

No Eliot is a big setback, but we are just going to have to manage. Even if he's not ready for today, Woodman has to play in the Cup game, that is for certain.

Brighton are second lowest in shots per game, five worst in shots allowed. Fewest goals scored from set pieces. So nothing to be afraid of.

Don't think there's enough between Elliott and Darlow to make much of a difference tbh. Think it'll be Atsu and Ritchie back on the wings and Gayle & Joselu up top.

Only real decision for me is between Hayden and Shelvey to partner Merino.

So desperately need to win this. Win and we go in to our next two league games with tails up. Lose this and it could be start of something very grim. Hoping for minimum of 7 points out of next 9. Give us a bit of breathing room from the drop zone and time for new recruits to be brought in.

So desperately need to win this. Win and we go in to our next two league games with tails up. Lose this and it could be start of something very grim. Hoping for minimum of 7 points out of next 9. Give us a bit of breathing room from the drop zone and time for new recruits to be brought in.

Agree - have to win this and 7 out of 9 is needed.