Newcastle United 1 - 0 Man United - 11/02/18 - Post-match jubilation from pg22

Dave

Guest neesy111

While we need to score more goals, we need to start keeping more clean sheets as well.  That's only our 3rd in 18 league games.

Small mention for Dummett who was fantastic. Such a solid left back.

Agreed. We're better with him the team no question.

Our first choice defence is very comfortable on the ball apart from Dummett.

Aye.  I don't think he's much good but sadly he's probably the best option we have at LB at the moment, losing him for three months is a blow.  He's crap at anything other than defending but he's solid enough that Atsu or Aarons ahead of him will have the freedom to get forward at will.

I think for a club in our position, Dummett gets unfairly railed for his on-the-ball (lack of) ability. There's a lot to be said for a solid defensive full back when you're just trying to stay alive in a division. Might be a stretch, but Danny Simpson seemed clueless both going forward and defending.

Personally I'm quite worried about our defence without Dummett at left back.

:snod:

:lol: I've been arguing Dummett is unfairly criticised since half way through last season if we're playing that game  :p

Sorry I'm actually agreeing with you - just failing at trying to be a smug git that I called this back in August that Dummet would be good enough :)

DVxH0iUWAAAbHxu.jpg

That's the Michael Caley expected goals. Understat's is pretty similar.

Give us the penalty, which XG misses, and it's pretty much even stevens. Mourinho may have passed it off as one those "that's football" games, but they didn't really create that much more than us. They had four chances, the Martial 1 on 1, the Martial double shot, the Sanchez one, where a Yedlin touch forced him wide, and the Carrick toe poke at the end. The biggest chances of the game were Ritchie's, the pen we should have had, and the 1 on 1. They had more possession in danger areas, but we didn't let them create clear chances with it.

DVxH0iUWAAAbHxu.jpg

Give us the penalty, which XG misses, and it's pretty much even stevens. Mourinho may have passed it off as one those "that's football" games, but they didn't really create that much more than us. They had four chances, the Martial 1 on 1, the Martial double shot, the Sanchez one, where a Yedlin touch forced him wide, and the Carrick toe poke at the end. The biggest chances of the game were Ritchie's, the pen we should have had, and the 1 on 1. They had more possession in danger areas, but we didn't let them create clear chances with it.

We didn't win because of their poor finishing. If they didn't score it was because of good keeping and defending.

Wow, amazing. What a performance. We fought like absolute animals. Shelvey and Lascelles were outstanding, whilst Dubravka showed he- along with Kenedy- could be the difference to us staying up.

Player heroics aside, today showed what an incredible opportunity we have with Rafa as our manager, but most of all it showed what this club can be capable of. It has been so long since we have had a day like today, I genuinely think that our fans have forgotten what it means to be Newcastle United, what it means to play teams at St. James' Park. Today showed that this club is worth fighting every bit for and that we should never give up trying to rid our beautiful club of Mike Ashley. It's incredible to think of the potential we have. This win should be an awakening, not an acceptance of where we are.

Wow, amazing. What a performance. We fought like absolute animals. Shelvey and Lascelles were outstanding, whilst Dubravka showed he- along with Kenedy- could be the difference to us staying up.

Player heroics aside, today showed what an incredible opportunity we have with Rafa as our manager, but most of all it showed what this club can be capable of. It has been so long since we have had a day like today, I genuinely think that our fans have forgotten what it means to be Newcastle United, what it means to play teams at St. James' Park. Today showed that this club is worth fighting every bit for and that we should never give up trying to rid our beautiful club of Mike Ashley. It's incredible to think of the potential we have. This win should be an awakening, not an acceptance of where we are.

:clap:

High fever and with a flu, but f*** me I feel sooo good somehow :lol:

Me too mate, nearly passed out light headed every time I shouted at the TV.

:lol: :thup:

Oh, btw, I just got HIV earlier today as well, so I win.

:dowie:

:dowie:

Yeah wasn`t quite sure how to reply to that, been up since 2am

FFS :lol: Anyways, had a look at Red Cafe, and it's good to see them pissed off. Happy day for us today. Remember one/some posters on here with a great spirit before the game :lol: Football is a funny sport sometimes :thup:

:smitten:      post of the year  O0

I've been in bed all day too, maybe being ill isn't a bad thing if it means results like today.

Just in from the match and can't remember a more agonising final 5 minutes - especially when that ball seem to sick around the 6 yard box. That's arguably the best defensive display we've put in against quality opposition we really limited their chances and given the quality difference on the field it was quite incredible. Offensively I don't think we played particularly well, Gayle and Perez in the first half didn't really look like the believed they were going to get anywhere with what they were trying. I would have preferred Merino over Shelvey pre-match but I don't think he's put a more dominant display in than that. He's got obvious quality with the ball at his feet but that is what he's been lacking and if we're going to stay up he could be a huge part of it with performances like that.

I thought it was worth a mention how well Joselu linked up coming on it really took the panic out of our play and Diame had another dominant performance. It's also so nice to have a goalkeeper that actually looks like he isn't going to flap at everything.

DVxH0iUWAAAbHxu.jpg

xG is a load of shite