Your favourite and least favourite journalists/ pundits

joeyt

Guest Howaythetoon

Nah. He was a youngish bloke, it might have been for radio Newcastle actually. He was commentator during our 3rd place finish in the PL, I’ll never forget his commentary when Cole broke Gallachers record against Villa in a 5-1 rout.

One nice thing about moving away from the UK was forgetting that Alan Green was a thing. God I used to hate him.

I agree. What an arse. His "I'm a Liverpool fan" (so live with it) passive-aggressive BS was especially grating. I don't listen often, but it seems like an unwritten rule that the 606 host can just shout any listener down before cutting them off, so any arsehole tendencies are only reinforced.

It's sad to hear Jimbo's talents now on a lesser podcast full of adverts for Paddy Power. It seems like that (awful) Ian MacIntosh bloke has lured him away with claims of how much money the Football Ramble must make. Since he's taken Horncastle and Michael Cox with him, he's weakened the Guardian podcast without producing anything as listenable as the Guardian's used to be. The Football Ramble is just the same as ever and will depend on whether you find them funny, or funny enough to ignore any of them you don't like, cough, cough Luke Moore. They have gambling ads, but they are much more inoffensive than Ian MacIntosh talking to some "Paddy" character about bets. That part is virtually unlistenable.

I rate Lineker but I think he is wasted as a presenter and should be unleashed as a pundit. When he gets to say what he thinks, about the England team etc., it's usually pretty good.

Lineker is just a perfect specimen of a human being.

If the world was dying and we had to send a clone of an Englishman to outer space to preserve mankind at its finest I would send either Lineker or Phillip Schofield

It's sad to hear Jimbo's talents now on a lesser podcast full of adverts for Paddy Power. It seems like that (awful) Ian MacIntosh bloke has lured him away with claims of how much money the Football Ramble must make. Since he's taken Horncastle and Michael Cox with him, he's weakened the Guardian podcast without producing anything as listenable as the Guardian's used to be. The Football Ramble is just the same as ever and will depend on whether you find them funny, or funny enough to ignore any of them you don't like, cough, cough Luke Moore. They have gambling ads, but they are much more inoffensive than Ian MacIntosh talking to some "Paddy" character about bets. That part is virtually unlistenable.

Yeah I agree, the Football League one is similar but with someone from William Hill, as well as a plug for some predictions app.

Sports betting is singlehandedly the biggest blight on my sporting viewing/listening/reading pleasure.

f***ing detest bookmakers, and sports betting sites, and the constant ramming down my throat of their existence. BT's coverage of the Ashes was almost unbearable. 7/10 times, in between overs you'd be blasted with a 30 second advert for a bookie. Beyond the pale.

Have no strong feelings either way on the matter of gambling, but just hate the advertising and s*** that surrounds it.

It's now got to a point where certain sports are only in existence to serve the gambling industry.

One nice thing about moving away from the UK was forgetting that Alan Green was a thing. God I used to hate him.

I agree. What an arse. His "I'm a Liverpool fan" (so live with it) passive-aggressive BS was especially grating. I don't listen often, but it seems like an unwritten rule that the 606 host can just shout any listener down before cutting them off, so any arsehole tendencies are only reinforced.

I rate Lineker but I think he is wasted as a presenter and should be unleashed as a pundit. When he gets to say what he thinks, about the England team etc., it's usually pretty good.

Think the Totally Football Show is pretty good now to be honest - think the early shows weren't up to it, but they've improved and have a good range of guests.  Don't find the Paddy Power stuff too offensive - at least it's at the end so you can just stop listening at that point.

Aye, I just fuck it off as it's at the end. Understandable to have ads as they pay the bills but I find whole segments relating to gambling, effectively audio advertorials, pretty distasteful.

I usually listen to the TFS ahead of FW which I guess says it all although I do actually like Max Rushden, seems a decent bloke.

I don't see how Totally Football Show differs from Guardian Football Weekly, which is what was claimed at first. Meant to be creative with some new ideas..... it's still just talking about football. I listen to it every week though purely because of the personnel.

I don't see how Totally Football Show differs from Guardian Football Weekly, which is what was claimed at first. Meant to be creative with some new ideas..... it's still just talking about football. I listen to it every week though purely because of the personnel.

I stopped listening to them both, fully Football Ramble now.

Think it can be a breath of fresh air at times. Most of the time pundits are sugar coating the reality of situations, and not really telling it like any fan watching can see for themselves.

Carragher and Neville we're pretty hard on Everton and Chelsea, but it did stand out from the weekend that Williams/Keane we're a shambles (and have been for months), and Chelsea we're too an embarrassment in their application in the game.

Not sure how that could be classed as trolling, should that be what's being referred too of course.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest firetotheworks

Tbf, he's not a wannabe, he speaks fluent Italian. :lol: In my very limited experience, once you start learning and using a language frequently, pronouncing words and names without the needed enunciation is what feels more unnatural and wrong, even if it does probably make you sound like pretentious wanker.