Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Decent discussion on it here.

That's a good thread that. I actually think there's some decent logic in the idea of "would the ball have gone through if not for the arm" regardless of intent. The Palace penalty was a case in point at the weekend; it was close range but the opposition headed the ball down and it would have arguably gone into the path of Richarlison (I think) if not for Wards arm. Harsh but the right call.

The Dier one feels different, kinda feel like they should take into about that the player can't see what's going on and has no idea what's behind him regardless of arm position.

Guest Cheesy Beans

Oh good. PL referees have a really good track record on consistency in decision making.

Lets give them more opportunities to fuck it up.

did Dier not jump and put his arms up hoping that if he was beaten to the ball, then it would "accidentally" be blocked from going back across the box by hitting his arm?

just really really trying to be devil's advocate here.

did Dier not jump and put his arms up hoping that if he was beaten to the ball, then it would "accidentally" be blocked from going back across the box by hitting his arm?

That was my view. Pique did similar at the last World Cup (far more blatant like) but it’s easy to do and make it look accidental.

That was my view. Pique did similar at the last World Cup (far more blatant like) but it’s easy to do and make it look accidental.

yeah.

seems roy keane is thinking the same way.

i dont know. jump. keep your arms up in the air so if the ball does come back it hets accidentally blocked.

straws being clutched at i know but it is possible. "i missed the ball - will keep my arms up to make sure it doesnt come back in".

Handball should be absolutely minimal in the game TBH, should be limited to clearly deliberate handballs or where the ball has travelled a significant distance/time.

You’d probably be talking about a tiny number of offences a season.

Players also don’t help the situation with the constant appealing.

Like that's in anyone's thought process when they jump for a header. :lol:

I did it at kickabout level, I’ve no doubt pros would do it like. :lol:

Same if I was in front of someone taking a shot, I’d put my arms out about 4-5 inches out from my body down to the side to make myself bigger knowing if it hit my hand or arm it’d be ‘ball to hand’.

Like that's in anyone's thought process when they jump for a header. :lol:

I did it at kickabout level, I’ve no doubt pros would do it like. :lol:

Same if I was in front of someone taking a shot, I’d put my arms out about 4-5 inches out from my body down to the side to make myself bigger knowing if it hit my hand or arm it’d be ‘ball to hand’.

You sound like the Sergio Ramos of Sunday League :lol:

actually i've watched the replay again.

Dier doesnt jump with his arms up. he flings his right arm up after he misses the ball.

yup.

knew what he was doing.

You've watched it in real time right? Because I have to assume you've only seen it in slow motion.

Dier doesnt jump with his arms up. he flings his right arm up after he misses the ball.

yup.

knew what he was doing.

This is an outrageous take. :lol: You've seen the way Carroll's arm moves as he lands too, right? It's almost identical.

Guest neesy111

It’s not a problem that needs to be solved really, there are almost no deliberate handballs in football. Mad to forensically analyse every contact of ball on arm.

Yeap.

yup.

knew what he was doing.

This is an outrageous take. :lol: You've seen the way Carroll's arm moves as he lands too, right? It's almost identical.

as i said earlier - its just a devil's advocate take on the situation.

i couldnt believe it when it was given - was actually disappointed tbh as we deserved nothing from the game and it distracted slightly from the post-match analysis of the performance.

and the number of fans saying they would have taken a point before the game, and that we were now sitting with 4 points confirmed a sound beating would have been better.

tbh, bruce hasnt shyed (spelling?)  away from the performance - he's just started to imply it is rafa's fault.