Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Cheesy Beans

s*** like that Leicester third penalty can get to f*** as well. Just the slightest touch on the shoulder and Maddison is allowed to chuck himself to the ground (whilest barely even facing the goal) and get a penalty. There needs to be more than just "contact" for there to be a foul ffs.

The second too. Vardy runs in front of the defender, makes minimal contact and goes down. It's not 'winning a penalty' its cheating of the highest order.

And the 1st, was almost a replica of Maddison’s.

Tugging someone’s arm should never cause your legs to collapse - this is what VAR should have been designed for, to stop shit like this.

If you’re impeded by a touch on the shoulder and can’t reach the ball, fine, it’s a foul. But if you collapse your legs and throw yourself to the floor you should just get shot, tbh.

Mad how people didn't think VAR was going to ruin the game when it got brought in

VAR would’ve been and still could be fine. The problem is they got referees to decide on the implementation and usage of it.

If they’d given it to a panel of players, you know, people that have actually played the game, the implementation would’ve been fine.

Exactly the same thing should be done when deciding on rule changes but instead they leave it to people who have never played the game and they consistently fuck it up. Who’d have thought?!

Ex players get paid more to complain about it. Can't fault them for maximising their earning potential.

Hawkeye determines LBW by checking if the leg stopped the ball hitting the wicket. Apply the same for penalty decisions, any other handling in the area is indirect free kick.

There is one fixed camera in cricket that lines everything up. That would be difficult in the game known as soccer.

Guest neesy111

Didn’t La Liga go through a phase where every handball was a penalty? Can’t remember if it was pre VAR though and what changes they made to make things better

Yes it was before VAR and they got told to remove it as it was against the rules.

Guest neesy111

Didn’t La Liga go through a phase where every handball was a penalty? Can’t remember if it was pre VAR though and what changes they made to make things better

Not if the ball was heading away from goal.

:lol:

I’ve got no issues with people being against VAR, but stuff like this I just find massively fucking hypocritical.

I still honestly feel one of the main reasons we’ve got to this stage with VAR is the likes of Sky and the way they over-analyse every decision with their super slo-mo replays, umpteen camera angles, the horizontal lines showing the decision is wrong. Add that to the fact they have a show on a Monday with an ex-ref which goes through every single dodgy decision made from that weekend and this is a beast they’ve created. Maybe he should go to his employer and suggest they ease up with that, but you know for a fact that if VAR ever did cease, they’d just continue pulling apart every decision with their technology which they now want referees to stop using.

I’ve got no issues with people being against VAR, but stuff like this I just find massively fucking hypocritical.

I still honestly feel one of the main reasons we’ve got to this stage with VAR is the likes of Sky and the way they over-analyse every decision with their super slo-mo replays, umpteen camera angles, the horizontal lines showing the decision is wrong. Add that to the fact they have a show on a Monday with an ex-ref which goes through every single dodgy decision made from that weekend and this is a beast they’ve created. Maybe he should go to his employer and suggest they ease up with that, but you know for a fact that if VAR ever did cease, they’d just continue pulling apart every decision with their technology which they now want referees to stop using.

Absolutely, Sky et al have a lot to answer for regarding this shit show.

Absolutely, Sky et al have a lot to answer for regarding this shit show.

didn't souness say on sky yesterday it's all adding drama to proceedings, whether it's good or bad for the game itself...was something like that

The more I see yesterday’s handball mind, the more I think it’s a penalty. His arm goes up as he’s landing, is that natural? I think Dier knows where the header is going once the ball goes over his head from the cross and moves it back up. One of those where you can try and kid the referee by looking the other way but I’ve seen it a few times.

The more I see yesterday’s handball mind, the more I think it’s a penalty. His arm goes up as he’s landing, is that natural? I think Dier knows where the header is going once the ball goes over his head from the cross and moves it back up. One of those where you can try and kid the referee by looking the other way but I’ve seen it a few times.

you think he made that conscious decision in a split second about something that may or may not happen behind him that he can't see?  it's a stretch for me

Mad how people didn't think VAR was going to ruin the game when it got brought in

VAR would’ve been and still could be fine. The problem is they got referees to decide on the implementation and usage of it.

If they’d given it to a panel of players, you know, people that have actually played the game, the implementation would’ve been fine.

Exactly the same thing should be done when deciding on rule changes but instead they leave it to people who have never played the game and they consistently fuck it up. Who’d have thought?!

I think you do need the input of people with experience of enforcing the rules. The job is much more difficult and complicated than many players and ex-players seem to think.

It's a matter of having realistic expectations. VAR was never going to eliminate all debate and controversy. It's just a matter of improving decisions, or at least eliminating the obviously incorrect.

you think he made that conscious decision in a split second about something that may or may not happen behind him that he can't see?  it's a stretch for me

Yeah you can't be giving penalties for that

I agree that the arm movement is unnatural but it's never a penalty.

Not sure how much that little nudge in the back from Lascelles caused it ?

I certainly think it's debatable one - I'm not sure I get the uproar about this particular decision to be honest.

Did Dier handball it deliberately? Probably not, but the extension of his arm happens after his jump and isn't being used to propel himself into a jump as far as I can see (or for balance).

Was his hand in an unnatural position?  I would argue it was.

Do Spurs get an advantage from it hitting Dier's hand?  Yes - it stops the trajectory of the ball towards the goal.

If the penalty wasn't given, I wouldn't be annoyed about it, but I can certainly see why it was given.  The idea that this, of all decisions, is the one that's got everyone riled up slightly baffles me.

I would imagine the context of the game played a part in the uproar. We absolutely deserved fuck all from the game and achieved a result from a contentious decision. Obviously it rightfully played no part in the decision.

I find the discussion of a "natural position" of one's arm when jumping just plain weird. Every position is a natural position if that's how you jump.

The only unnatural position of arms I ever see on a football pitch is when the defenders stick them behind their backs.

Guest neesy111

I find the discussion of a "natural position" of one's arm when jumping just plain weird. Every position is a natural position if that's how you jump.

The only unnatural position of arms I ever see on a football pitch is when the defenders stick them behind their backs.

:thup:

Seen the handball covered all over the news and I can't see why. It was a stonewall pen IMO and if it hadn't been given, I'd be fuming. If that was Man Utd, there would be no discussion. Feel like the media is trying to cover for Jose here. They can't accept he's not the manager he once was.