Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It’s not a problem that needs to be solved really, there are almost no deliberate handballs in football. Mad to forensically analyse every contact of ball on arm.

The only thing VAR can correctly assess is contact.

There's no need to even look at most of them though.

It’s not a problem that needs to be solved really, there are almost no deliberate handballs in football. Mad to forensically analyse every contact of ball on arm.

The only thing VAR can correctly assess is contact.

There's no need to even look at most of them though.

There wasn't. But since the rule change there is. The rules are being adapted to suit VAR.

• 2 months later...

It’ll be great until Sky or BT Sports show their own snazzy replays showing the linesman was wrong and he was 1/4 inch offside after all. If TV companies agreed to stop doing that, this would be a good move forward.

I'm not sure that would be a problem with the 'on field call' idea. In cricket it's fine, people go "yeah it was hitting the stumps after all, but it was so close it was impossible to call" and everyone understands that's how it works.

Do they have shows on Sky Sports News where they go into every little decision that may be wrong with an ex-referee and ex-player? Maybe fans will be more understanding now after 2 seasons of VAR, but I bet the same pundits who whinge about it (Lineker etc) still go over everything with a fine tooth comb.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There’s been shortage of issues in some way related to VAR, but often it’s scapegoated when the real issue is confusion over rules, or alternatively people aren’t looking at the bigger picture. For example a lot of people were complaining about Ings being very judged marginally offside on Sunday, but that was the original decision and he only scored because the ref typically plays on nowadays regardless of how close it is. When he’s correctly judged offside it would be a bit odd to overrule the linesman regardless of how close it was!

FA have overturned Bednarek red card but not David Luiz

Presumably the independent panel felt Martial dived. I bet they charge Martial now....

Still annoyed that Martial felt the need to dive when clean through on goal.

Also still annoyed at the two VAR decisions that cost us 3 points against Sheffield United. I find it more annoying that they come out afterwards and say the decisions are wrong. :lol:

VAR just doesn’t bring enough positives compared to the disruption it causes:

- We now have countless pauses while the most ridiculous decisions are reviewed.

- Some decisions aren’t even looked at when they should be (one in our game recently).

- We still have at least one major talking point every gameweek where a decision is wrong. Sometimes even 3 or 4.

- Maybe a very slight reduction in diving. But it still happens. Players have also got wise to ‘contact = penalty’ and now dive in a different way by initiating their own contact.

- The offside and handball rules have become complete farces.

- Rules (and the agreed interpretation) are being continuously changed.

- Goal celebrations are almost manufactured now. When I have a bet on, for example, I don’t properly enjoy the goal until I’ve seen the match restart.

Nearly every football fan could see each and everyone one of those issues before it was even implemented. Yet the still forced it through.

I don’t know if it’s because of my lack of passion for NUFC at the moment due to MA/Bruce, but my enjoyment for football as a whole has dwindled recently. This is probably one of the factors in it.

FA have overturned Bednarek red card but not David Luiz

Presumably the independent panel felt Martial dived. I bet they charge Martial now....

Still annoyed that Martial felt the need to dive when clean through on goal.

Also still annoyed at the two VAR decisions that cost us 3 points against Sheffield United. I find it more annoying that they come out afterwards and say the decisions are wrong. :lol:

Players top priority these days is to get penalties, it's the number one thing VAR has changed. Players know they only need to find 'contact' in the box to get a penalty, there's no foul needed any more.

So well done VAR, it has lead to more diving and cheating than before.

Red for me. One on one with keeper, would have been in complete control of the ball and just to compound the fact, had already scored from the exact same position first half so how could it not be a goal scoring opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...