Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yeah it was awful, that. It wasn't even a pass to him. :lol:

I don't really have a problem with that. It happens the other way, where a player is offside when the pass is played but onside after it takes a deflection from the defender. It's just bad luck. Or good if you're spurs.

I don't really have a problem with that. It happens the other way, where a player is offside when the pass is played but onside after it takes a deflection from the defender. It's just bad luck. Or good if you're spurs.

Yeah, I dunno, there's just something about it which feels harsher, in that it wasn't an ill-timed pass or run; just effective pressing forcing an error and then capitalising on it.

I mean, regardless of any of that, the bottom line is that there's fuck all in it and Aguero hasn't unfairly gained an advantage by being in that position.

One of the major inconsistencies of VAR is that the 'clear and obvious error' thing seems to be applied just about everywhere except offside, where incidents are so seldom clear and obvious. They might review a clumsy tackle in the box and, despite there being evidence that a foul was committed, a penalty remains ungiven on the basis of some woolly and subjective metric around the ref's ability to make the call in the first instance. Yet offside calls, based on meaningless inches in either direction, are being scrutinised and enforced with the fullest extent of their shite tech. If the lino misses a stray kneecap it's a clear and obvious error is it? Total bollocks.

Yeah, I dunno, there's just something about it which feels harsher, in that it wasn't an ill-timed pass or run; just effective pressing forcing an error and then capitalising on it.

I mean, regardless of any of that, the bottom line is that there's fuck all in it and Aguero hasn't unfairly gained an advantage by being in that position.

One of the major inconsistencies of VAR is that the 'clear and obvious error' thing seems to be applied just about everywhere except offside, where incidents are so seldom clear and obvious. They might review a clumsy tackle in the box and, despite there being evidence that a foul was committed, a penalty remains ungiven on the basis of some woolly and subjective metric around the ref's ability to make the call in the first instance. Yet offside calls, based on meaningless inches in either direction, are being scrutinised and enforced with the fullest extent of their shite tech. If the lino misses a stray kneecap it's a clear and obvious error is it? Total bollocks.

I agree with most of that, but I don't think that incident can be blamed on VAR. He was in an offside position when his teammate touched the ball, so he's offside, thems the rules. The lino should have given it as offside.

Just had a closer look and it's a lot tighter than I first thought but I still think it's offside. Without VAR we'd be discussing how Spurs were robbed.

Funnily enough, two of the moments that made me despise VAR the most were decisions against Spurs. The one last year where a Kane goal was disallowed because a Sheffield United player blatantly fouled Lucas Moura causing the ball to tap his forearm and the Dier handball nonsense from the NUFC match earlier this season. The corruption of the rules around handballs, penalties, red cards, etc. to suite to realities of VAR are significantly more concerning than offside calls, imo. The one aspect of VAR I do not really mind is offside calls that can be seen with the naked eye, as was the case with the Manchester City goal. If VAR was just for this, I may support it.

The celebration aspect is understood, but marginal offside calls have been taking away goal since football was something I watched, played, and understood. Frankly, the reverse situation can be entertaining and just too, such as the Shelvey goal against Sheffield United last year or the last minute winner for Leicester against Everton last year, which were initially incorrectly called offside. My problem with the offside aspect is the attempt to decide to the millimetre when this is not even possible with the tools available.

Terrible

How? Think that’s a great idea tbh. Should have been the law from the start.

eh? i'm sure that used to be the law just a few years back. there had to be "daylight" between the defender and the attacker for it to be offside. then they changed it.

I agree with most of that, but I don't think that incident can be blamed on VAR. He was in an offside position when his teammate touched the ball, so he's offside, thems the rules. The lino should have given it as offside.

Just had a closer look and it's a lot tighter than I first thought but I still think it's offside. Without VAR we'd be discussing how Spurs were robbed.

Yeah but I'd far prefer that to the soul being sucked out of every goal celebration.

Yeah but I'd far prefer that to the soul being sucked out of every goal celebration.

I'd prefer a fair result. I feel people complain about VAR sucking the emotion out of celebrating goals like realizing the linesman raised his flag after celebrating your ass off wasn't something that used to happen before VAR.

I'd prefer a fair result. I feel people complain about VAR sucking the emotion out of celebrating goals like realizing the linesman raised his flag after celebrating your ass off wasn't something that used to happen before VAR.

Exactly. Can't celebrate because technology.

The linesman's flag gets noticed about 5 seconds tops after the goal. :lol: It's not exactly the same as 47,000 people being allowed to be swallowed in 45 seconds of sheer ecstacy, only to be told "actually, technically, technically he was a few inches in front of the defender... not far enough for literally anyone in the ground to notice, but technically, yeah. Soooo, ya noooo. No goal. [troll smiley]" And I'd really, seriously argue just how 'unfair' an advantage is gained in that scenario. He's running away from goal. If he's a foot further back, it's the exact same result.

Barely ever, I'd always look at the linesman as soon as the ball crossed the line -  aye you'd get some oblivious people who took maybe ten seconds. Having a 'fair result' is just not worth it for me for removing the best thing about football. I realize it's subjective and a tired debate so I'll refrain.

Barely ever, I'd always look at the linesman as soon as the ball crossed the line -  aye you'd get some oblivious people who took maybe ten seconds. Having a 'fair result' is just not worth it for me for removing the best thing about football. I realize it's subjective and a tired debate so I'll refrain.

In my own view, I'd personally rather not NUFC won a cup final (as if we'd ever get to one :lol:) if that win would forever be marred by a shit decision, I'd want us to win it fair and square. But yeah, people in different corners won't convince the other at this point so it's as you say a bit tired at this stage.

I don't even get a goal to celebrate under Bruce nowadays let alone with VAR. Even if we do score under the c***, I'd be livid and hope VAR disallows it and takes the smug arrogant smile of his face.

In my own view, I'd personally rather not NUFC won a cup final (as if we'd ever get to one :lol:) if that win would forever be marred by a shit decision, I'd want us to win it fair and square. But yeah, people in different corners won't convince the other at this point so it's as you say a bit tired at this stage.

Ironically we won an FA Cup thanks to a goal where the ball had went out of play.

I hardly celebrated Matty Longstaff's winner at home to Man Utd as I was convinced that Jetro was offside down the left from my view just behind the goal!

VAR is wank especially if you're actually at the match!

Some interesting stats from VAR use in the Premier League this season.

Total overturns: 97

Rejected overturns: 5

Leading to goals: 27

Leading to disallowed goals: 29

Penalties awarded: 22 (5 missed)

Pens for handball: 11

Penalties overturned: 19

Penalties retakes (GK encroach): 3

Goals ruled out for offside: 22

Goals awarded after incorrect offside: 7

Goals ruled out for handball: 4 (1 in build-up)

Goals allowed after wrong handball: 0

Goals ruled out for a foul: 2

Red cards: 14

Overturned red cards: 2

Mistaken identity: 1

DOGSO cancelled: 1

22 ruled out for offside by VAR from about 280-300 matches, 28 in total if I read that right, isn’t that high?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4182135/how-var-decisions-affected-every-premier-league-club-in-2020-21

One overturn disallowing a goal every 10 matches, just celebrate for the sake of the 1 in 10 games?

I hardly celebrated Matty Longstaff's winner at home to Man Utd as I was convinced that Jetro was offside down the left from my view just behind the goal!

VAR is wank especially if you're actually at the match!

Refuse to believe that any football fan who has been in an away end and celebrated a last minute winner would be in favour of VAR.

Some interesting stats from VAR use in the Premier League this season.

Total overturns: 97

Rejected overturns: 5

Leading to goals: 27

Leading to disallowed goals: 29

Penalties awarded: 22 (5 missed)

Pens for handball: 11

Penalties overturned: 19

Penalties retakes (GK encroach): 3

Goals ruled out for offside: 22

Goals awarded after incorrect offside: 7

Goals ruled out for handball: 4 (1 in build-up)

Goals allowed after wrong handball: 0

Goals ruled out for a foul: 2

Red cards: 14

Overturned red cards: 2

Mistaken identity: 1

DOGSO cancelled: 1

22 ruled out for offside by VAR from about 280-300 matches, 28 in total if I read that right, isn’t that high?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4182135/how-var-decisions-affected-every-premier-league-club-in-2020-21

One overturn disallowing a goal every 10 matches, just celebrate for the sake of the 1 in 10 games?

While I can empathise with the hesitation to celebrate thing, I don't agree with the argument that you can't properly celebrate goals now. Most of the time you can see it's highly unlikely a goal will be overturned due to an offside or handball etc. And despite the increase in overturns, it's not like goals were never ruled out before. I have mates saying they haven't properly celebrated a goal since VAR came in, but I have to say they are so anti-VAR that their cynicism makes them think that way whenever the ball goes into the goal.

They have to review and adjust VAR (it looks like they have done a shambolic job of this so far), so I'm in favour of keeping it for now as long as that happens. It shouldn't be a case of no VAR or VAR as it is currently. Technology and how it's used is always improved over time.