Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Terrible

How? Think that’s a great idea tbh. Should have been the law from the start.

so at attacker could be at full pelt with the defender moving up to play him off, if his trailing leg during the sprinting motion is in line with the defender he's onside?  :lol:

sounds worse than now tbh

Terrible

so at attacker could be at full pelt with the defender moving up to play him off, if his trailing leg during the sprinting motion is in line with the defender he's onside?  :lol:

It'll be just as bad, stupid fucking lines being drawn etc.

Do it like the Dutch if you have to have VAR. Thick lines, and if the lines touch, then go with whatever the original call was. Makes sure it's closer to clear and obvious that it was originally being touted for.

Also, get rid of VAR for keepers off their lines. They've literally got an official watching just that. If he can't call it, then let the keeper off.

While we're at it, get rid VAR all together actually.

If you’re not going to abolish it, the cricket approach of ‘umpires decision’ seems the best. Make the officials referee the game like they did before, then if the decision is massively wrong VAR can change it. If it’s close, go with the on-field decision.

A lot of sports use video like that, it’s even what the ‘clear and obvious error’ shite is meant to suggest.

Also go back to intentional handball only.

Terrible

It'll be just as bad, stupid fucking lines being drawn etc.

Do it like the Dutch if you have to have VAR. Thick lines, and if the lines touch, then go with whatever the original call was. Makes sure it's closer to clear and obvious that it was originally being touted for.

Also, get rid of VAR for keepers off their lines. They've literally got an official watching just that. If he can't call it, then let the keeper off.

While we're at it, get rid VAR all together actually.

It would be better for me if we just remove the lines entirely. I do not trust or believe in them anyway; it is a technology with a relatively large margin of error being used to measure millimetres. Have the official call offside and let VAR intervene if is demonstrably wrong to the human eye. The rules of football were generally OK before VAR, we should not change them to suit it. This is what has led to the several laughable interpretations of the handball rule in the last 2-3 years.

Terrible

What was so wrong with the offside rule before VAR came in?

You think if your head or shoulder for instance is closer to the goal than the defender’s feet, and your feet are onside, that’s right to be disallowed?

I think the real problem is the high precision measurements, so moving the line doesn't solve the problem - however, a more liberal offside rule would at least mean fewer consequential interventions by VAR, so I'd tend to be in favour. If they really want tech and accuracy, I hope these automatic offside detector things they're testing speed-up, that'd be way better.

I do wonder whether the people who were most keen on introducing VAR are now the ones who are most critical of it.

It was never going to be perfect. It was never going to eliminate doubt or controversy. It was never going to stop managers from moaning when decisions go against them.

Expectations need to be more realistic.

Don't mean to be a dick, but VAR is ruining the game exactly how I imagined it would - I was always exasperated by how casually people were in favour of fucking ruining one of the most fundamental aspects of the sport for fans.

Terrible

What was so wrong with the offside rule before VAR came in?

You think if your head or shoulder for instance is closer to the goal than the defender’s feet, and your feet are onside, that’s right to be disallowed?

That isn't what Wenger is proposing

He's not just suggesting your head or shoulder though.

If your whole body is offside apart from your heel then you'd be deemed as onside. That seems mad to me

Disagree to be honest I’d much prefer more goals.

Makes sense to me. Chances are the players are in motion with attackers moving goalward, defenders potentially stationary or going the other way. At the moment attackers are being penalised because they’re attacking the ball and direction of the ball and if their Johnson strays offside when the rest of their body is on they're punished. Defenders aren’t.

All the marginals are with the defending team which is not was offside was or is for.

But why is it staying? Whats in it for them keeping it? Genuinely don't get why PL don't just sack it off for their "product"

Even if a majority are against VAR at the moment, I don't think people will accept going back to getting clear offsides, clear penalties wrong, etc.

VAR has simply made me like football a lot less than I used to. I always knew I'd hate it but it's been even worse than I ever imagined.

I can't even fathom how they think the drawing lines on a pitch thing for multiple minutes is a good idea. It's as if nobody who is coming up with this stuff has ever actually understood why the offside rule exists.

The acceptance of inherent subjectivity in decisions and common sense self-policing nature of the game has been completely thrown out of the window in pursuit of an unachievable end goal - to the terminal detriment of the entertainment and emotional value of the game.

He's not just suggesting your head or shoulder though.

If your whole body is offside apart from your heel then you'd be deemed as onside. That seems mad to me

Disagree to be honest I’d much prefer more goals.

Makes sense to me. Chances are the players are in motion with attackers moving goalward, defenders potentially stationary or going the other way. At the moment attackers are being penalised because they’re attacking the ball and direction of the ball and if their Johnson strays offside when the rest of their body is on they're punished. Defenders aren’t.

All the marginals are with the defending team which is not was offside was or is for.

:thup:

But why is it staying? Whats in it for them keeping it? Genuinely don't get why PL don't just sack it off for their "product"

Even if a majority are against VAR at the moment, I don't think people will accept going back to getting clear offsides, clear penalties wrong, etc.

Aye, now we’ve had this imagine goals like the Aguero one here when we went down being allowed to stand? Wouldn’t happen. Even under Wenger’s idea that would have likely been offside let alone the marginal ones we get now.