Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

Sunderland’s Academy and set up can’t be at the level it was a few short years ago. They’re not exactly flush with cash, good luck with your choice.

I have had first hand experience of both Newcastle and Sunderland academies and the first thing I'd say is it's nothing more than a myth that Sunderland is, or recently was, superior in any way.

They were different, both good in some ways but both probably behind the bigger clubs in the NW for example.

Newcastle's is decent, despite what a lot of uninformed people say, but being in the NE means that due to population there are fewer kids in the available pool than there are in the NW, SE or Midlands for example.

There again how many Premier league clubs have had two young homegrown players make up their centre midfield pairing in recent years ?

There are kids from Wearside at Newcastle and vica versa so supporting either club is of no consequence at all.

Currently Newcastle's is way ahead and has a far better pool of talent. When Sunderland's ownership changed every possible overhead was slashed and their academy really suffered. People sacked, contacts severed and a lot of their better kids going elsewhere.

Ethically the academy system is questionable across football in general. Nowadays when they bring in youngsters from around the world at a later age very few will ever make it and parents need to be sensible and not build up their own or their kid's hopes too much. If one player is identified as having the potential to make it they will design a team around him in the almost certain knowledge that none of the others will be kept on.

This is not a dig at anyone, especially HTT, because I know it is exciting to have your child singled out as having potential and being asked to join a professional club academy.  But, at 5 years old how the hell can they tell that a child will be or is good enough....  they pick kids because they can kick the ball straight and hard compared to others at their age group, that is basically it.

My boy has been approached, or should I say I have, numerous times.  I always said no.  It is a massive commitment of time for both the parent and the child and the chances of making it are practically zero.  If he is good enough he will be picked up later, if he is not good enough, as I suspect, then he will not have lost anything.  By the way, he is 14 and knows that I said no,  he was a bit puzzled but, I explained it and he fully agrees with me.

My son plays for a team at a high level in the Russell Foster league and really enjoys his football, he plays Futsal for Newcastle United via his school and will represent them at a U15 tournament at The Beacon of Light on Sunday, assuming he is able to shift the heavy cold he is currently laid up with by then.  I get all I need simply by watching him play and watching him enjoying his game.  His mate, who is at Newcastle academy, seems to have had all the joy of football sucked out of him already, he is 14 years old!! 

Just be careful with the academy system and believe this, if he is good enough they will come back and keep coming back.... 

Sunderland’s Academy and set up can’t be at the level it was a few short years ago. They’re not exactly flush with cash, good luck with your choice.

I have had first hand experience of both Newcastle and Sunderland academies and the first thing I'd say is it's nothing more than a myth that Sunderland is, or recently was, superior in any way.

They were different, both good in some ways but both probably behind the bigger clubs in the NW for example.

Newcastle's is decent, despite what a lot of uninformed people say, but being in the NE means that due to population there are fewer kids in the available pool than there are in the NW, SE or Midlands for example.

There again how many Premier league clubs have had two young homegrown players make up their centre midfield pairing in recent years ?

There are kids from Wearside at Newcastle and vica versa so supporting either club is of no consequence at all.

Currently Newcastle's is way ahead and has a far better pool of talent. When Sunderland's ownership changed every possible overhead was slashed and their academy really suffered. People sacked, contacts severed and a lot of their better kids going elsewhere.

Ethically the academy system is questionable across football in general. Nowadays when they bring in youngsters from around the world at a later age very few will ever make it and parents need to be sensible and not build up their own or their kid's hopes too much. If one player is identified as having the potential to make it they will design a team around him in the almost certain knowledge that none of the others will be kept on.

This is not a dig at anyone, especially HTT, because I know it is exciting to have your child singled out as having potential and being asked to join a professional club academy.  But, at 5 years old how the hell can they tell that a child will be or is good enough....  they pick kids because they can kick the ball straight and hard compared to others at their age group, that is basically it.

My boy has been approached, or should I say I have, numerous times.  I always said no.  It is a massive commitment of time for both the parent and the child and the chances of making it are practically zero.  If he is good enough he will be picked up later, if he is not good enough, as I suspect, then he will not have lost anything.  By the way, he is 14 and knows that I said no,  he was a bit puzzled but, I explained it and he fully agrees with me.

My son plays for a team at a high level in the Russell Foster league and really enjoys his football, he plays Futsal for Newcastle United via his school and will represent them at a U15 tournament at The Beacon of Light on Sunday, assuming he is able to shift the heavy cold he is currently laid up with by then.  I get all I need simply by watching him play and watching him enjoying his game.  His mate, who is at Newcastle academy, seems to have had all the joy of football sucked out of him already, he is 14 years old!! 

Just be careful with the academy system and believe this, if he is good enough they will come back and keep coming back.... 

At what age would you allow him to go? At 16 or 17 he could have missed 3 years worth of hopefully better training and the experience of playing against/with better players. I can understand not wanting a kid to be at an academy at the age of 5, I personally don't think they should be allowed to look at kids until around 11/12 anyway. I don't think you can take the other lads experience as gospel as well.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don’t worry mate I’ve asked/continue to ask the same questions and they don’t and can’t. For me it’s all about treating it as just another training session or footy camp. To be honest I think of it all, he will get the most out of Futsal in terms of development and having fun. He’s there tonight, he’s been buzzing all week to go.

Guest Howaythetoon

At what age would you allow him to go? At 16 or 17 he could have missed 3 years worth of hopefully better training and the experience of playing against/with better players. I can understand not wanting a kid to be at an academy at the age of 5, I personally don't think they should be allowed to look at kids until around 11/12 anyway. I don't think you can take the other lads experience as gospel as well.

Agreed on the ages, sadly by the time the 5 year old gets to that age to 11 or older in the academy system they get the fun sucked out of them. It’s a precarious issue all-round, a lot depends on the parents’ attitude the most IMO. Too many think academy football - superstar.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's well creepy HTT being told that they had been watching his 5 year old for a while like

Not really, although this is Sunderland :lol:, scouts inform clubs/tournaments they will be watching, it’s upto the clubs/coaches to mention it to parents. I personally would rather not be told in advance/can see why many don’t inform others. Anyway you can spot them a mile off, big long rain macs, thong taches, flat caps and binoculars, just look for the ones that look like nonces basically...

I agree about the academies sucking the fun out of it for young kids. I have twin girls, 16 now, and one has been a goalkeeper with the N Ireland squads from age 11 and is now with the u19s. She trains and plays still but just gets no pleasure from football (although hopefully it will get her through uni at least). Her sister never made the international trials age 11 and was never given another shot. She stuck with her local team through the age groups and now captains the senior side and has just made the N Ireland Futsal squad, she is loving her football.