Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

The more concerning issue was that he used to be a linesman [emoji38] raconteur has had a nightmare there, sorry mate :)

The keeper is irrelevant in the offside rule, there just needs to be at least 2 opposition players ahead of the recipient if the ball is played forward  

3 hours ago, 1964 said:

The more concerning issue was that he used to be a linesman [emoji38] raconteur has had a nightmare there, sorry mate :)

The keeper is irrelevant in the offside rule, there just needs to be at least 2 opposition players ahead of the recipient if the ball is played forward  

Never fear, it was for teens in the late 80s in Australia (so the least important football in the world) - but yeah, definitely got a bum steer somewhere.

EDIT Just reflecting on it now, and I also remember being taught to put my flag straight up and use my other arm to show who’s put the ball out for a throw in. Didn’t know better until I started watching televised football. Now I’m doubting my entire knowledge of the rules of the game :lol:

Edited by Raconteur

10 hours ago, Raconteur said:

Never fear, it was for teens in the late 80s in Australia (so the least important football in the world) - but yeah, definitely got a bum steer somewhere.

EDIT Just reflecting on it now, and I also remember being taught to put my flag straight up and use my other arm to show who’s put the ball out for a throw in. Didn’t know better until I started watching televised football. Now I’m doubting my entire knowledge of the rules of the game :lol:

Brilliant, fair play to you for doing what is a thankless task 👏 

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The coach we’ve poached from them has turned into the worst coach on Earth overnight.

Singlehandedly responsible for any failing at youth level for them and couldn’t possibly have any hand in the positives.

Yes. And it's a good job he only worked for them for 26 years before they rapidly spotted how bad he was.

20 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

I see that latest lad they rave about has signed a new deal. Didn't look like he stood out at all the other night. 

Just making sure they get a fee.. no way they keep him past this season 

12 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

I see that latest lad they rave about has signed a new deal. Didn't look like he stood out at all the other night. 

He’s a cracking lad to be fair as his Da - both big Sunderland fans from Jarra! He played for Hebburn Town Juniors and turns up for presentations etc for them!

One of their players’ son plays for my son’s Saturday team. They were in a tournament in Sunderland yesterday and come second, winning a trophy (great tournament, even teams and no semis or finals. Was based on wins, goals scored etc. so a lot of teams got a trophy and every kid got a medal). Got chatting to him yesterday and he’s a canny fella, very humble (he was mobbed by fans for photos and obliged happily), his son is a cracking little player too. We were talking about the takeover and he actually said it’s good for the club and that we should all be excited. He was actually interested to hear the thoughts of those of us parents who are Toon fans, it’s about 50/50 NUFc fans and Mackems. 

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

One of their players’ son plays for my son’s Saturday team. They were in a tournament in Sunderland yesterday and come second, winning a trophy (great tournament, even teams and no semis or finals. Was based on wins, goals scored etc. so a lot of teams got a trophy and every kid got a medal). Got chatting to him yesterday and he’s a canny fella, very humble (he was mobbed by fans for photos and obliged happily), his son is a cracking little player too. We were talking about the takeover and he actually said it’s good for the club and that we should all be excited. He was actually interested to hear the thoughts of those of us parents who are Toon fans, it’s about 50/50 NUFc fans and Mackems. 

I think that anyone with a brain would be watching how our takeover progresses and would view the possibilities for NUFC as well as the smaller regional clubs to be massively improved by the future status of our team in world football....

One of the biggest kickers will be at grassroots level because the money that will be directed into that area will be incredible, it will benefit all teams, clearly with the starting point being our own foundation and academy but, rolling downwards from there. 

I was speaking to a foundation coach this morning and he said that the facilities at the very top level of NUFC - if compared to other Premier League teams - are about the level of the current team in that league, not exactly a cryptic message to say that our facilities need huge and immediate investment.  He also said that Amanda Staveley has promised to invest heavily in the academy and the Foundation and he is incredibly optimistic about the immediate future - the long term is actually hard to properly imagine!  We spoke specifically about Man City and the way that they attract the best youth talent from around the world because of the set up, they have hotel style accommodation for the kids and their families, education facilities and even mentoring to help the kids understand about life outside of football, clearly not all of them will make it and the academy needs to prepare them for other potential futures....  If we can emulate what they are doing and there is no reason on earth why not, given time, then we will have something here that the whole North East will feel benefits from.

2 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

I think that anyone with a brain would be watching how our takeover progresses and would view the possibilities for NUFC as well as the smaller regional clubs to be massively improved by the future status of our team in world football....

One of the biggest kickers will be at grassroots level because the money that will be directed into that area will be incredible, it will benefit all teams, clearly with the starting point being our own foundation and academy but, rolling downwards from there. 

I was speaking to a foundation coach this morning and he said that the facilities at the very top level of NUFC - if compared to other Premier League teams - are about the level of the current team in that league, not exactly a cryptic message to say that our facilities need huge and immediate investment.  He also said that Amanda Staveley has promised to invest heavily in the academy and the Foundation and he is incredibly optimistic about the immediate future - the long term is actually hard to properly imagine!  We spoke specifically about Man City and the way that they attract the best youth talent from around the world because of the set up, they have hotel style accommodation for the kids and their families, education facilities and even mentoring to help the kids understand about life outside of football, clearly not all of them will make it and the academy needs to prepare them for other potential futures....  If we can emulate what they are doing and there is no reason on earth why not, given time, then we will have something here that the whole North East will feel benefits from.

Yes, this is the biggest thing for me and what makes me more optimistic in that they will invest heavily in the academy and foundation and like you said it will only benefit all of the region at grassroots level and indeed kids’ futures who don’t make it. Even Gateshead FC for example will benefit I’m sure. We are light years behind even 3rd tier league clubs, but that will all soon change I’m sure and that, again is what excites me. 

One thing is sadly, a lot of kids at the academy right now at say under 7/8/9s will probably be culled for better talent at that age group soon, hopefully they will still end up in the football pyramid and get to enjoy playing football whatever the level.

Well..  it is a very well trodden path of big clubs approaching youngsters (as you as 8 years, maybe below) via their grassroots club and parents to get them to agree to sign to an academy on something like the old schoolboy forms which basically ringfence them from an approach from any other club....  very nice for the child and probably even nicer for the parent who suddenly start to believe they have a potential Wayne Rooney on their hands...  There is a huge fundamental problem with this and that is probably out of the thousands that are retained on schoolboy forms that only a couple will ever make it as a professional.

There is space in football for all kids with talent, and by the way I believe that kids at such a young age can be spotted and some really do have exceptional ability.  The top tier teams will of course attract the best and select the best and I would love it if Newcastle became an interesting club for these top prospects but, as a parent of a very decent 16 year old footballer myself I would prefer to keep all options open until they have at least left school.  The level my son plays at now is seeing academy scouts visiting regularly and occasional invitations to go and play against academy teams.  I could see one or two from my lads team being picked up during this school year as long as they maintain their focus and do not get any injuries.

Swerved way off topic here in the Sun'lun thread but, at 15 - 16 for some reason young lads turn into glass and get injured so easily....  I have never known a time with so may kids in my lads teams out with strains, pulls, knee problems and so on!

4 hours ago, HTT II said:

One thing is sadly, a lot of kids at the academy right now at say under 7/8/9s will probably be culled for better talent at that age group soon, hopefully they will still end up in the football pyramid and get to enjoy playing football whatever the level.

Culled ? Fuck me, a Junior Squid Game.