Sunderland

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

7 minutes ago, jack j said:

About 25k average at a rough estimate

Canny decent that Tbf. If we'd have been down there under Ashley, it would probably have been fairly similar. But with a couple of takeovers like they've had, I think we'd have seen closer to 35k.

10 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

9,000 cleared earlier this morning. Sorry I'm late, can't keep up. 

10,000 posts since the tv deal obstacle was cleared Wednesday lunch time. That's some effort, dread to think how many it might be if they were bothered by the news. 

6 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Canny decent that Tbf. If we'd have been down there under Ashley, it would probably have been fairly similar. But with a couple of takeovers like they've had, I think we'd have seen closer to 35k.

Not according to them, which is total shite; as we have always had bigger crowds in the vast majority of seasons (including pre 92). You only have to go to the website English Attendances to see that in plain sight year after year.

Edited by et tu brute

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Their averages by season have actually been:

0*

They probably have about that many core fans who would turn up to watch them at any level. 

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

0*

They probably have about that many core fans who would turn up to watch them at any level. 

Their season in the championship they averaged 27.5k, still very good mind 

Sounds daft perhaps, but I reckon it’ll  be interesting to see their attendances if we end up winning trophies and challenging year on year and they’re in the Championship or even lower half PL. As we are their only thought, our success may end their motivation to attend. 

Sure that in 2004ish time when they were down they would often get crowds around the 20k mark. 

Edited by Danh1

2 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Sounds daft perhaps, but I reckon it’ll  be interesting to see their attendances if we end up winning trophies and challenging year on year and they’re in the Championship or even lower half PL.

Sure that in 2004ish time when they were down they would often get crowds around the 20k mark. 

Lowest 22,000 - have a look at that website I linked above it's brilliant for attendances of every English cllub

Edited by et tu brute

11 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

0*

That's really good like. Must be new records for league 1 (including the old third division)? 

8 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

0*

Except FA Cup games which have seen crowds as low as 8k. I'll not have a pop at their pizza cup crowds as its a joke competition.

I'm loving their new "moral high ground" mind. These people unanimously backed a paedophile because he scored against the mags just a few years ago.

Yeah it’s absolute bollocks to be starting the “they’re not our rivals stuff”. Why the fuck do we talk about them then? They’re our rivals because we have a shared history and hostility towards each other that goes back years and years. It’s utter semantics. We care about the games against them, we want to beat them precisely because they’re our local rivals. It’s pompous to suggest otherwise

Edited by alijmitchell

Now more than ever it's important for us to remember our roots, especially local and where we've come from. Sunderland is part of that regardless of what comes next. Mind, I don't see them having much to do with us in the near future. They are 5 years away from the PL. Amanda plans to have us competing for the title at that point. 

I'm just attempting to differentiate (light heartedly, I admit) between a local derby and a rivalry. But there is a semantic difference.

rival

rī′vəl

noun

One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.

One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

A companion or an associate in a particular duty.

A rival is someone you're concerned about beating you or are concerned about overtaking you. We never play them. By the definition of the word, they're not our rivals. You can attempt to redefine that all you want but it's just not what the word means. They're our local derby, I'll always want to beat them, I'll always look out for their results, hell I'd actually like us to be in the same league as them as I miss the derbies, but there's no "rivalry" there right now because of their absence.

I'll never think them "irrelevant" or stop caring about them, or as Dokko says forget our roots. All of that is important. Just by the definition of "rival", they're not one. Neither are Man U by the way. Our rivals right now are Norwich and people like that, this isn't even a comment about the takeover, I'd have said the same 2 weeks ago. The definition of "rival" precludes Sunderland.

Edited by Chris_R

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

I'm just attempting to differentiate (light heartedly, I admit) between a local derby and a rivalry. But there is a semantic difference.

A rival is someone you're concerned about beating you or are concerned about overtaking you. We never play them. By the definition of the word, they're not our rivals. You can attempt to redefine that all you want but it's just not what the word means. They're our local derby, I'll always want to beat them, I'll always look out for their results, hell I'd actually like us to be in the same league as them as I miss the derbies, but there's no "rivalry" there right now because of their absence.

I'll never think them "irrelevant" or stop caring about them, or as Dokko says forget our roots. All of that is important. Just by the definition of "rival", they're not one. Neither are Man U by the way. Our rivals right now are Norwich and people like that, this isn't even a comment about the takeover, I'd have said the same 2 weeks ago. The definition of "rival" precludes Sunderland.

[emoji38] 

2 minutes ago, GWN said:

give ower ffs 

1 minute ago, GWN said:

[emoji38] 

It doesn't matter whether you like what I say or not, but you cannot arbitrarily redefine a word just because it doesn't fit how you want to use it. Sunderland are not rivals, by the definition of the word "rival".

That's not an attempt to denigrate their importance to us, they're the club I most look out for and always will be, they're our local derby. I'm making a literary point - A rival, by definition, is someone in competition with you.

I live and grew up in North Tyneside. For a very large part of my life I have been able to avoid coming across Sunderland fans. There are people in South Tyneside, Washington, and Durham who are in regular contact with Sunderland fans day in day out, might even have them in the same family.

To them the rivalry will be more apparent.

I don’t know how the rivalry manifests itself since they fell to League One, but I doubt it’s totally gone.

Even if our takeover brings us constant success and they fail to ever get out of League one or into the Premier League, we will still be 15-20 years away from 50/50 areas of support becoming more dominant by us.

The rivalry will still remain.

20 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

It doesn't matter whether you like what I say or not, but you cannot arbitrarily redefine a word just because it doesn't fit how you want to use it. Sunderland are not rivals, by the definition of the word "rival".

That's not an attempt to denigrate their importance to us, they're the club I most look out for and always will be, they're our local derby. I'm making a literary point - A rival, by definition, is someone in competition with you.

not really arguing over a word definition mate .

I grew up and will die with Sunderland being our RIVALS. , that’s all.

• Rich changed the title to Sunderland