Group A - Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay - URU & RUS advance

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Qualifiers are pretty meaningless tbh, their partnership for Atleti speaks for itself.

How are they meaningless? That's the team they're playing with at the World Cup, which was what I was arguing? I'm in no way saying they're not a very good pairing, I'm just arguing against that they're easily the best pairing in the WC.

I mean in the grand scheme of things relating to the WC, there's loads of examples of teams not giving a shit in qualifying and then looking like hot shit in the tournament.

I personally don't pay attention to it anymore tbh, honestly i'd understand your argument if they were a random pairing but they play together at club level too.

Qualifiers are pretty meaningless tbh, their partnership for Atleti speaks for itself.

How are they meaningless? That's the team they're playing with at the World Cup, which was what I was arguing? I'm in no way saying they're not a very good pairing, I'm just arguing against that they're easily the best pairing in the WC.

I mean in the grand scheme of things relating to the WC, there's loads of examples of teams not giving a shit in qualifying and then looking like hot shit in the tournament.

I personally don't pay attention to it anymore tbh, honestly i'd understand your argument if they were a random pairing but they play together at club level too.

That first sentence is a load of shit tbh :lol: Which teams in the CONMEBOL doesn't give a shit in the qualifiers? I don't really rate Gimenez that highly, I've watched more of Uruguay than Atletico Madrid however in the past year.

Uruguay's midfield is actually far stronger and more gifted on the ball than in previous years, but they don't seem to be able to get out from their traditional way of playing. Having to play a 4-4-2 and needing to fit in both Suarez and Cavani doesn't help that area.

Argentina when Maradona was there qualified on the final day and got to the Quarter Finals and probably would have gone further if they didn't face Germany in quarters.

Argentina this year barely qualified and i'll bet they get to the Quarter finals at the very least, it definitely does happen. It's not CONMEBOL and not the same argument but Spain were awesome in qualifying for decades and when the WC came before 2010 they did nothing of note.

Not telling you what to do :lol: But personally i don't take much stock on what happens during qualifiers.

To say he’s nowhere near Godin’s level is fine, but as a partnership they’re as solid as it gets.

Again, I'm just saying based on their national team performance because that's the set-up they're playing at. They really haven't been great for Uruguay together. I though even today Gimenez had trouble in the air against their striker in the first half and the one that substituted him which was much smaller. They won between them about 4-5 headers which those strikers shouldn't do against Gimenez.

Argentina when Maradona was there qualified on the final day and got to the Quarter Finals and probably would have gone further if they didn't face Germany in quarters.

Argentina this year barely qualified and i'll bet they get to the Quarter finals at the very least, it definitely does happen. It's not CONMEBOL and not the same argument but Spain were awesome in qualifying for decades and when the WC came before 2010 they did nothing of note.

Not telling you what to do :lol: But personally i don't take much stock on what happens during qualifiers.

That's different though. They obviously gave a shit. :lol: I just think Gimenez is more exposed in this Uruguay team than what you see for Atletico Madrid.

Uruguay's midfield is actually far stronger and more gifted on the ball than in previous years, but they don't seem to be able to get out from their traditional way of playing. Having to play a 4-4-2 and needing to fit in both Suarez and Cavani doesn't help that area.

:thup: The midfield they had the last 2 World Cups was shameful.

If they are stronger and more gifted they didn't show it IMO, they were really sloppy most of the game and didn't look like they know how to unlock a well organized defence.

Were much better in the last 30 minutes but i suspect subs and Egypt tiring were bigger factors there. Going forward i would look to try and get Cavani in the box more often as he's playing with a lot more confidence than Suarez is atm.

Cause touts bought them all and couldn't get rid of them due to FAN ID issue as well as sponsors not giving back their tickets since they were free anyways. Simple really.

Russia playing well for a team who are 70 in the suddenly important rankings and whose best player plays for CSKA who are much worse than Liverpool. I just don’t know what’s going on.

Salah is playing, right?

Not sure what your point is.

He's playing in a far inferior team than Liverpool, with different styles. Plus he's just come back from injury and we know that he's clearly been worth the 'hype', given what he did last season.