Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria - CRO & ARG advance

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sampaoli doesn't seem to have a clue.

Lived off Bielsa's legacy as Chile manager.

He definitely benefited from the system that Bielsa created, but he introduced essential players like Vargas, Aranguiz, and Marcelo Diaz and was really the one to turn them into serious contenders. They won the 2015 Copa America a full three years after Bielsa had left. Sampaoli deserves credit for that.

If anything, Pizzi lived off Sampaoli’s legacy and frankly only won 2016 Copa America because of Sampaoli’s team. Subsequently drove them into the ground.

Think this Argentina team is just a poisoned chalice.

Sampaoli doesn't seem to have a clue.

Lived off Bielsa's legacy as Chile manager.

He definitely benefited from the system that Bielsa created, but he introduced essential players like Vargas, Aranguiz, and Marcelo Diaz and was really the one to turn them into serious contenders. They won the 2015 Copa America a full three years after Bielsa had left. Sampaoli deserves credit for that.

If anything, Pizzi lived off Sampaoli’s legacy and frankly only won 2016 Copa America because of Sampaoli’s team. Subsequently drove them into the ground.

Think this Argentina team is just a poisoned chalice.

I don't think that's fair, there's significant better options he's just flat out ignoring. It's not like this is the best they got. Not to mention before he took the job they went to 3 finals ( 2 Copa America and 1 WC) i don't feel it's the impossible job your post paints it as.

He definitely did a great job for Chile but here i can't excuse what i'm seeing.

It's as bad a Argentina side as I've ever seen and that's saying alot considering they have Messi, Aguero and Dybala. I can't see any way in which they are winning this tournament.

Croatia should give them a right good game but the Messi factor just makes me think Argentina will edge it.