The Gareth Southgate Appreciation Thread (Warning may contain lots of words)

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't see how you look at Croatia and their central midfield in comparison to ours and are not a little bit concerned like. I agree they've not looked amazing in knockouts but still. Perisic and the other wide player also look like they could do some damage if we're too open.

Don't see how you look at Croatia and their central midfield in comparison to ours and are not a little bit concerned like. I agree they've not looked amazing in knockouts but still. Perisic and the other wide player also look like they could do some damage if we're too open.

Aye, they definitely have the quality like. They’ve looked a bit disjointed to me though. Mandzukic often left really isolated up top and the lack of top CDM or number 10 really hurts them in terms of balance.

Aye, they definitely have the quality like. They’ve looked a bit disjointed to me though. Mandzukic often left really isolated up top and the lack of top CDM or number 10 really hurts them in terms of balance.

Agree. Their CM three should dominate ours on paper imo, if we manage to stop them doing that then I think we'll win fairly comfortably. If Modric and Rakitic are allowed to run the show it could be a very tricky game indeed.

Haven't seen anyone think we are obviously better, if anything I've seen more we are going to lose because they have Modric and Rakitic.

I don't think anyone is particularly getting arrogant over he whole thing.

Kaizero has just said we should rout them

As good as their midfield is, Modric and Rakitic have been playing  too deep all tournament, and have looked a bit leggy in all the knockout games. It's an aging side.

We have to keep the team the same, and push them back with the pace and running we've got, rather than try and adjust in fear of their technical quality.

Do that and we'll win IMO.

Speaking of letting facts get in the way of narrative: England have beaten Panama, Tunisia, Colombia and Sweden, with one of those ranking in the FIFA top 20. Croatia have beaten Iceland, Nigeria, Argentina, Switzerland, Denmark and Russia with three of those ranking in the FIFA top 20.

Conclusion: Croatia are shit, England are brilliant and Southgate is a genius.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for England and I'm loving the feel good factor this run has provided, but there's been some incredible mental gymnastics going on of late. We're average as fuck, but I'm just hoping momentum and continuing fortune carry us over the line, we'll certainly need it if we do reach the final.

Did you just add Switzerland to give them an extra point? :razz:

:lol:

Apparently I'm hallucinating, I'm going to bed man!

Why let facts get in the way of a good narrative?

As good as their midfield is, Modric and Rakitic have been playing  too deep all tournament, and have looked a bit leggy in all the knockout games. It's an aging side.

We have to keep the team the same, and push them back with the pace and running we've got, rather than try and adjust in fear of their technical quality.

Do that and we'll win IMO.

Love this post. Come on England.

Haven't seen anyone think we are obviously better, if anything I've seen more we are going to lose because they have Modric and Rakitic.

And you fucking should. And you will. Iceland bettered these fuckers in qualifying ffs. They have a few very good players that on their day can fuck you over, but in general - they don't. They've had an easy path to the semi, just as you have - with the exception you're a good team.

And you fucking should. And you will. Iceland bettered these fuckers in qualifying ffs. They have a few very good players that on their day can fuck you over, but in general - they don't. They've had an easy path to the semi, just as you have - with the exception you're a good team.

Croatia are a better side imo, that being said. It's coming home. 2-1 England. Harry Kane scoring both, one in extra time.

Guest Howaythetoon

Croatia are the better team IMO, although I’d say we have more better players than they do in general. But we don’t have anyone as good as Modric in midfield and in general who is a truly world-class player.

Kane is our only world-class player, but Modric has pedigree, experience and is undoubted where as Kane still has a few question marks. It’s going to be a very tough game and if we allow them to settle they will and we will struggle.

We need to force our own game on them and play a bit quicker and a bit more direct even because we have good offensive players. Do that and I fancy us.

It’s going to be one hell of a tense game and I’m nervous just thinking about it. If we win my weekend is transformed, I’m in Stevenage Friday and then London Monday working, well potentially....

If we go through I’m heading to the Capital Friday evening and having a weekend party with a BBQ at my sister’s on Sunday. If we go out I’m coming home Friday and another team will do London Monday.

Depending on Wednesday, I may even sack off the whole week and stay at home drowning my sorrows.

So howay England!

I don't think anyone can say there are any question marks over Kane anymore, tbh. He has proven again at this WC that he is one of the best players in the world, imo. How many better #9s are there currently?

I don't think anyone can say there are any question marks over Kane anymore, tbh. He has proven again at this WC that he is one of the best players in the world, imo. How many better #9s are there currently?

#9? None. He's the best #9 in the World. Been so impressed by him at this World Cup. Suarez, Benzema, Lewandowski, Aguero are all great, but Kane has to be considered the best #9 right now.

Guest Howaythetoon

He is, but can he be our Zidane ‘98 in terms of an impact on such a huge game and stage? E might have to. He has 6 goals, but he hasn’t had an outstanding game yet and while the service hasn’t been great despite his tally, he could do better in certain situations. I’m nit picking of course and don’t care if he has a stinker if he scores the winner so I’m being hard on him I know.

One thing that gives me hope is that he does have it in him to have a dominating performance where he can win a game on his own. I draw hope from Sterling as well, he is due a goal and having his say.

Guest Howaythetoon

Played footy tonight for the first time during the WC and although there are one or two young lads who love their footy, there are quite a number of older lads who like many have become weary and tired of the game and I’ve never seen them in the decade or so I’ve been playing with and against them being so interested in England and footy and I can’t remmeber the last time I was this absorbed with footy, not even NUFC, either.

What Southgate and his players have done is give tens of millions of fans something they will never feel or be part of and that’s a momentous almost life (as a fan) changing game tomorrow and even more if we were to make the Final.

We have had semi finals and even finals with NUFC and while you always have hope, not once have I ever thought we would go on and win and lift something. Thanks mainly down to the quality of the opposition and our own lack of quality in those games.

The last time I was this consumed by all the hopes, anxieties and joy of football was when we gave ourselves a chance of making it out of the CL group stages, culminating in that amazing night in Feyenoord.

In terms of a one off match it stretches back to when we played Man Utd at SJP when Cantona broke our hearts. England Vs Croatia is that big and that important to me as a fan and I’m loving it because for the best part of a decade thanks to Ashley, Pardew, the England team themselves and the way football has headed in terms of all the money, I had fallen out of love with the game which I grew up loving and it’s having that effect on similar like minded people.

I just don’t want the WC to end, I’ve missed maybe 6 games or so, but watched the highlights and all the goals and saves and moments. After next Sunday, we turn our attention back to NUFC and domestic football and the thought fills me with dread to be honest, I’m not looking forward to it at all.

The WC and Southgate and his players have been a breath of fresh air and a much needed (for me anyway) reminder of what it’s all about or can be.

Guest Howaythetoon

Zidane wasn't even at his best in '98, Euro 2000 was him at his absolute peak.

I’m talking about his performance in the final, but regardless, it’s harsh on Kane for me to hold him to that kind of standard or level when he’s leading the scorers charts and has been such a key player for us every game. He’s world class and that’s all there is to it.

He seems level headed as well, most of the players do, so I can’t see him doing a Gazza following his starring role for England at Italia 90. The pressure on him will be huge though and the expectations, same with Southgate and it wouldn’t surprise me if the media jump all over any story that doesn’t show our players as almost saint like following this because they are slowly being built up as heroes and national treasures, Sterling not included of course :lol:

I’d fuckimg love it if he scored the goal that won us the WC, there will be mackem level backtracking and mental gymnastics by many in the media trying to work the hero narrative hoping to sweep the their bile under the carpet that I feel has had an effect on Sterling during this tournament. He seems to be trying too hard and looks tense and not himself. We know he misses chances, but he’s usually single minded in the box.

Kane is doing everything I would expect from an elite CF tbh, I don't expect Zidane talismanic performances from him as it isn't his role.

I wouldn't have expected it from Shearer either BTW which is obviously the closest comparison in terms of England #9.

Just a shame we don't have that type of player like Gascoigne as you mention, hopefully one will eventually come through.

Guest Howaythetoon

Kane is doing everything I would expect from an elite CF tbh, I don't expect Zidane talismanic performances from him as it isn't his role.

I wouldn't have expected it from Shearer either BTW which is obviously the closest comparison in terms of England #9.

Just a shame we don't have that type of player like Gascoigne as you mention, hopefully one will eventually come through.

Kane does have it in him which is why I mentioned Zidane. Shearer had it in him as well. Spurs at Old Trafford to lead us to the FA Cup Final for example.

As we have seen with Messi at this tournament though, there are so many factors to take into consideration. It’s harder for a CF no doubt to put in such a performance.

Kane may well have a stomping game and do the business, but if the rest don’t do their jobs and we lose, such a performance would be in vain. I’ll settle for him having a quiet game, but tucking away another pen to win us it.

Zidane against Brazil a few years back man, I don’t think I’ve enjoyed an individual performance more or been so breathless just watching, in awe and bewilderment even though it was Zidane and you knew he could turn it on.

A Gazza type genius in midfield would add so much to this side, but I feel we are always going to be missing something as a team in that way unless we can produce a player like that. And maybe that’s a good thing this time if it means a team that is better together than the sum of its parts.

Look at Argentina, they have the best player in the world and some other world-class talent, but they weren’t a team and relied too heavily on Messi like we did with Gazza, or Beckham or Rooney.

Guest Howaythetoon

Oh I think he has the talent I just don't think the situation for him to do anything like that is ever going to arise tbh.

But I'd take two scrappy goals from corners in two separate 1-0 wins :D

:thup: