Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

9 hours ago, Stal said:

I watched the Sean press conference last night. I took a shot every time he said "like I said" or similar. I was mortal by the end of it.

But on a serious note, it was a good watch. You can see the way Eddie handles the media is rubbing off on him.

You should try that game with Willock, when he says "I feel like". You'd be worse than mortal.

17 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

What was the Ray Parlour one? Said something 10-15 times in a short interview :lol:  Think it was ‘obviously’. 

Gerrard and Rooney with erm or yanno. You’d die of alcohol poisoning. 

Defoe when at Bournemouth had an interview when he said "innit" or "you know" 2 or 3 times per sentence.

7 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Is better than he’s showed tonight. Just needs to release it quicker 

No idea why he didn't make the obvious pass to miggy before the malen chance. We need the Sean from Saturday in the second half as he looks off the pace, although no worse than Joe or Bruno when they attack. Other than that we arent playing bad, just not following their breaks

I'm one of his biggest advocates but he was absolutely chod tonight, didn't look at the races whatsoever, seemed to have none of his usual energy. Then again, he normally plays 90+ mins three times a week so you'd expect him to look tired once in a while.

He'll bounce back, he's vital to the midfield unit at the moment & with Tonali's impending break he'll get loads of minutes. I do think having Willock in there with him will improve things further as well.

Yeah, I think it was just a case of him being a bit burnt out. He hasn’t been getting caught on the ball much if at all recently but he did tonight, just put it down to them being a good side who were on us in the first half and Sean being a bit gassed

Just now, gbandit said:

Yeah, I think it was just a case of him being a bit burnt out. He hasn’t been getting caught on the ball much if at all recently but he did tonight, just put it down to them being a good side who were on us in the first half and Sean being a bit gassed

Month off travelling and he'll be right as rain 

Ultimately we were playing against one of the top 10 club sides in the world and we saw why he will likely be replaced by us in the next year so.
Like everyone who loves the club, I love him to bits but his deficiencies stood out a mile tonight. He’s comfortably Premier League quality but he’ll never be Champions League quality. 

Edited by Holmesy

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Ultimately we were playing against one of the top 10 club sides in the world and we saw why he will likely be replaced by us in the next year so so. 
Like everyone who loves the club, I love him to bits but his deficiencies stood out a mile tonight. He’s comfortably Premier League quality but he’ll never be Champions League quality. 

No they’re not. 

Group stage exit last season. R16, QF, R16 before that.  

A good team but not troubled the elite in years 

9 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

No they’re not. 

Group stage exit last season. R16, QF, R16 before that.  

A good team but not troubled the elite in years 

Name the top 10 European football clubs! 
3 in England 

2 in spain

2 in Italy 

1 in france

2 in Germany 

probably!
Dortmund will get into most people’s top 10

1 hour ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Why are we so quick to write him off at this level? he just played  superb game against PSG and scored the goal that sealed the win.

You've been here since 2006... Come on :lol:

2 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Why are we so quick to write him off at this level? he just played  superb game against PSG and scored the goal that sealed the win.

We have aspirations of winning the PL and the CL. Currently teams in the running for those trophies are likely to be:

Man City

Arsenal

Liverpool

Real Madrid

Does Sean Longstaff get anywhere near the midfield of any of those teams? 
That’s all people are saying. No one is writing him off as being shit, but for where we want to get to, he isn’t good enough. 

2 hours ago, Holmesy said:

Name the top 10 European football clubs! 
3 in England 

2 in spain

2 in Italy 

1 in france

2 in Germany 

probably!
Dortmund will get into most people’s top 10

They are 16th in co-efficient over the past 5 years. 

They lost to Chelsea last year in R16. They finished 3rd in the group stage the year prior and lost to Stevie G's Rangers in the Europa League. That's very poor.

They are the level of Sevilla, Leipzig, Benfica, AC Milan. Good proper CL side who should aim to make it out of the group and, with a bit of luck of the draw, make it to the QFs at best.

We were done by a slick European outfit, no doubt. But on our best day, we beat them.  We weren't at our best, and they were close to theirs. 

16 hours ago, AJ9 said:

Is better than he’s showed tonight. Just needs to release it quicker 

Seemed to regress to the old Longstaff last night, getting caught in possession or with the ball stuck under his feet. The Dortmund press and the weather probably contributed. Hope he bounces back against Wolves.

3 hours ago, Holmesy said:

We have aspirations of winning the PL and the CL. Currently teams in the running for those trophies are likely to be:

Man City

Arsenal

Liverpool

Real Madrid

Does Sean Longstaff get anywhere near the midfield of any of those teams? 
That’s all people are saying. No one is writing him off as being shit, but for where we want to get to, he isn’t good enough. 

You could argue we don't have that many players who would play for those teams. Bruno, Trippier, Isak, Botman?

It's gonna take years to get the full squad we want to be able to challenge on all levels. Longstaff has a few seasons left in him yet.