Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

No. We’re past the point where we can afford to carry a Sean Longstaff. He’s so far off the wavelength of the better players around him at times it’s embarrassing. 8s and 9s I meant the players who’ll likely be off in the summer if we don’t finish top 4/5.

I do get that there’s duality here whereby it’s acceptable to defend Longstaff as a decent / average trier while being supremely grateful we have very few of those in the team. Personally just think it’s bullshit. We need to be better than players like that.

Whilst I understand what you want to illustrate but the brutal reality is

1. It’s Longstaff who carried through injuries in order to carry us last season, not the other way round 

2. We even have no PSR capacity or excellent youth prospect to replace Longstaff, a player you deemed not good enough 

3. We have to consider players eligibility for Europe competition, which you simply cannot buy one from the market to replace Longstaff

I am sorry, it should be us who should be grateful that we have Longstaff now

Edited by Zero

4 hours ago, Taylor Swift said:

The rules force us to have homegrown players, he’s a fine backup. He should get a new deal. It’s insane to lose a homegrown player who’s 26 on a free. It’s bad business. Sell him for £15m in 2 years if Miley has taken his place, but letting him go for free is stupid. 

Has anybody shown any interest in him at £15m? The only time I can recall is Everton when Rafa was there. I think a problem to keep him as a homegrown backup player would be his wages. I can't imagine he'll sign a new contract for 25k a week, and once it gets above a certain amount, you aren't paying backup player wages any more.

10 hours ago, Heron said:

The debate is whether he's a 2 out of 10 every week or average tbf. He's absolutely not a 2 out of 10. I don't think anyone is saying he's prime Zidane.

I think he was around a 4 for the Wolves game. Murphy was worse though.

However, for those BBC ratings, is there perhaps a likelihood that a lot of those low scores for him aren't from our fans?

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Has anybody shown any interest in him at £15m? The only time I can recall is Everton when Rafa was there. I think a problem to keep him as a homegrown backup player would be his wages. I can't imagine he'll sign a new contract for 25k a week, and once it gets above a certain amount, you aren't paying backup player wages any more.

As a "back up" player for a "top" team, surely, he'd deserve a pay rise? 

Leaving Miley out of the equation, for now, Longstaff is one of our 5 midfielders for a 3.

I can't think many other "back up" players for "top" teams are on £25k.

I've a healthy respect for the lad but also know Tonali is that step up. However, I think Howe looking after a player who's played a big role in finishing 4th then played a whole season injured for the team isn't a bad thing. Especially when the alternative player has fucked the club over for that entire latter period. 

Tonali is a great player and I've got know worries about Longstaff being a squad player. 

17 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

As a "back up" player for a "top" team, surely, he'd deserve a pay rise? 

Leaving Miley out of the equation, for now, Longstaff is one of our 5 midfielders for a 3.

I can't think many other "back up" players for "top" teams are on £25k.

I've a healthy respect for the lad but also know Tonali is that step up. However, I think Howe looking after a player who's played a big role in finishing 4th then played a whole season injured for the team isn't a bad thing. Especially when the alternative player has fucked the club over for that entire latter period. 

Tonali is a great player and I've got know worries about Longstaff being a squad player. 

I made the 25k/week up off the top of my head. Since we are now discussing what a backup player should be worth, I looked up his salary and it's actually 50k/week. So if we agree he's probably looking for a pay rise, what would be paying him then? Do wages of 60k+ still look decent for a backup player?

Bear in mind, if we sold him, as a homegrown player, that would release a lot of funds for a replacement, who if you are talking about a prospect, would be on a lot less than that.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I made the 25k/week up off the top of my head. Since we are now discussing what a backup player should be worth, I looked up his salary and it's actually 50k/week. So if we agree he's probably looking for a pay rise, what would be paying him then? Do wages of 60k+ still look decent for a backup player?

Bear in mind, if we sold him, as a homegrown player, that would release a lot of funds for a replacement, who if you are talking about a prospect, would be on a lot less than that.

Is he after a pay rise? Apologies if he is and that's not just more media shit stirring. 

I think, given how the lad comes across, he'd be more than happy sticking around. 

He could also just fancy a step down for more involvement. Who knows. 

Dogs abuse might help that decision making process 

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

I made the 25k/week up off the top of my head. .... I looked up his salary and it's actually 50k/week.

I think what you mean is "I went on Google and someone else had made up £50k/week off the top of their head"

Nobody knows what any player is paid.

36 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I think what you mean is "I went on Google and someone else had made up £50k/week off the top of their head"

Nobody knows what any player is paid.

Yep it was taken from a google search, a site called Capology I think. 50k was on there along with everyone else's pay, I was using it as a base for discussion on future contract talks. It's not written in stone, I agree.

9 hours ago, Shearergol said:

I think he was around a 4 for the Wolves game. Murphy was worse though.

However, for those BBC ratings, is there perhaps a likelihood that a lot of those low scores for him aren't from our fans?

Then why wouldn't it be across the board if that was the case?

I mean it may explain it somewhat but I doubt it to be honest.

I personally think 4 is a tad harsh but I think it's a lot more reasonable (and acceptable) than a 2. :thup:

6 minutes ago, Heron said:

Then why wouldn't it be across the board if that was the case?

I mean it may explain it somewhat but I doubt it to be honest.

I personally think 4 is a tad harsh but I think it's a lot more reasonable (and acceptable) than a 2. :thup:

I had Bruno on a 4 for that first half too btw.

He's not good enough to be a starter for us really and that's a problem if it remains as such but he's a fine backup/rotation player. It is also vital that we don't let any decent academy graduates walk away for free considering PSR - so hopefully they get a new deal signed.

Quotes from Howe:

"You just have to look at his qualities. He is highly intelligent, and understands the team’s objectives in and out of possession.

Technically he is a very good player. And he has high energy. If you look at his running date week to week, it is usually one of the highest in the Premier League. He brings a lot of energy to the team. That is what we would miss if he is not playing.

It is always difficult to talk about one player in such detail but Sean has been very very good since I have been here as manager. "Brilliant to work with from my perspective and I think his general perofmances have improved.

He still has areas to work on like every player has but he has been fundamentally important. He has performance really well and has played near enough every game when he has been fit.

Competition now is higher than it has ever been. He is going to know that and be very aware that he is competing with very good players for a starting place . That is a battle I hope elevates every single one of them to play better than they think they are capable of."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/defiant-message-sean-longstaffs-newcastle-29973509

39 minutes ago, vexred said:

Quotes from Howe:

"You just have to look at his qualities. He is highly intelligent, and understands the team’s objectives in and out of possession.

Technically he is a very good player. And he has high energy. If you look at his running date week to week, it is usually one of the highest in the Premier League. He brings a lot of energy to the team. That is what we would miss if he is not playing.

It is always difficult to talk about one player in such detail but Sean has been very very good since I have been here as manager. "Brilliant to work with from my perspective and I think his general perofmances have improved.

He still has areas to work on like every player has but he has been fundamentally important. He has performance really well and has played near enough every game when he has been fit.

Competition now is higher than it has ever been. He is going to know that and be very aware that he is competing with very good players for a starting place . That is a battle I hope elevates every single one of them to play better than they think they are capable of."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/defiant-message-sean-longstaffs-newcastle-29973509

He’s benched for Fulham then [emoji38]

Maybe not [emoji38]

Edited by PauloGeordio