Fabian Schär

I get that we could use more pace in one of our CB's, but how the hell do we adequately replace his ability to start attacks and drive forward with the ball, while also being really solid defensively?

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

I get that we could use more pace in one of our CB's, but how the hell do we adequately replace his ability to start attacks and drive forward with the ball, while also being really solid defensively?

Save money on buying a defensive midfielder sticking him in there.

I wanted a young RCB upgrade, im now not sure that's even possible. We do need someone as cover to give him a rest now and again though 

3 minutes ago, M1tche said:

I wanted a young RCB upgrade, im now not sure that's even possible. We do need someone as cover to give him a rest now and again though 

All I want is another Tripps/Tino situation. Not an immediate upgrade that has to come in and take over week in, week out. But someone with clear ability now but knows he is the future and happy to gradually take on the role as the veteran ages out.

Granted, I feel like we hit a major jackpot in Tino ticking all of those boxes. But is it too much to ask to hit it again?

I've said it so many times but it's worth repeating. He sat on the bench while Bruce played Lascelles, Clark, Krafth and Fernandez in both pairings and 3-at-the-back combos :lol: fucking lunacy.

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

I've said it so many times but it's worth repeating. He sat on the bench while Bruce played Lascelles, Clark, Krafth and Fernandez in both pairings and 3-at-the-back combos :lol: fucking lunacy.

He even played Hayden there above him didn’t he ?

I don’t think it’s possible to replace Schar for what he contributes. He’s also younger than Trippier and plays in a position that ages better than RB.

Is there another CB who can do what he does, anywhere?! Passing, ball striking, finishing, all combined with exceptional defensive positioning and intelligence.

From the point of view of replacing  him, we’re not going to be able to do it like for like presumably?

Edited by Holmesy

3 hours ago, Aiston said:

Save money on buying a defensive midfielder sticking him in there.

Will people stop saying this.  Would you have Beckham at centre half? No.  Shearer at left back? No.  Harlaand in midfield ? No.  If you know anything about football then you just know certain positions require a certain expertise.  STOP asking for Fab to play in a position that he hasn't played in, in his entire career.

3 minutes ago, McDog said:

Schar was class today, runner up to Bruno for MOTM for me at least. He's gotta have a place in the squad next year.

Totally agree.  A class CENTER BACK!

15 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

He's great, though succession planning is needed. Exciting young rcb in summer please 

I agree with that. Get a succession plan but he stays next year.

We need another first team level CB. Lascelles has done admirably and really steadied the ship at times. But we need one to compete with the 2 ahead.  All the other top 7 teams at least 3 that are excellent. 

I don’t think we need to find his replacement. Just another on his level. Could be right or left footed I don’t think it matters when Lascelles is 3rd choice CB regardless of left or right and Burn isn’t good enough for that role. 

59 minutes ago, Rod said:

Will people stop saying this.  Would you have Beckham at centre half? No.  Shearer at left back? No.  Harlaand in midfield ? No.  If you know anything about football then you just know certain positions require a certain expertise.  STOP asking for Fab to play in a position that he hasn't played in, in his entire career.

Spoilsport

2 hours ago, Holmesy said:

Is there another CB who can do what he does, anywhere?! Passing, ball striking, finishing, all combined with exceptional defensive positioning and intelligence.

From the point of view of replacing  him, we’re not going to be able to do it like for like presumably?

IMG_0600.thumb.png.95c2219e90aa4ff940eeb87ccd5c2c67.png

2 hours ago, wormy said:

All I want is another Tripps/Tino situation. Not an immediate upgrade that has to come in and take over week in, week out. But someone with clear ability now but knows he is the future and happy to gradually take on the role as the veteran ages out.

Granted, I feel like we hit a major jackpot in Tino ticking all of those boxes. But is it too much to ask to hit it again?

Totally agree, that is the ideal scenario. Hopefully the club can find someone that fits the bill, although I feel it could be hard because I'm sure we only manage to get Tino because of the big injury and no-one wanting to take the risk with that amount of money. Turns out it was an excellent gamble.