Newcastle United 1 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 10/08/18 - post-match from p. 17

Disco

Arguably as happy as you can be from a loss. I thought we could have easily come away with something against a very well drilled spurs game. I was hoping they’d look tired and not up to speed - they didn’t.

The quality between Richie, Shelvey and Kennedy  is really great to watch when they’re all firing. Kennedy even has a touch of Ben Arfa about him when he’s running at players. It’s been a while since I’ve seen such a visible downgrade on the pitch from Ritchie to Atsu though. There’s got to be a really good argument to give Murphy his spot on the bench and further his own development.

Atmosphere in the ground was banging too!

It was a very strange decision with Ritchie mind. I thought we at least deserved a draw. One thing pissed me off I was in the family enclosure bit when they were singing stand up if you hate Ashley no fucker would stand up miserable fucking bastards.

We looked decent. Might actually finish top 10 again this season.

Don't see how we won't, people continuously overestimate how poor the bottom half is. Rafa Benitez isn't allowing a team to be in the relegation dog fight.

Agreed. Only way I see it being a dire problem is if a rash of injuries happen across the pitch. That is the same for all the bottom half though. I also have complete faith that issues at the back will be addressed and mitigated. First match always has issues of positioning, continuity, etc. even with guys that have played together. Hopefully Manquillo can step up, could be a real opportunity for him given that I dont expect Yedlin back for a month or so if lucky.

Not too many gripes. Yedlin was poor defensively, but was his usual mad bastad self going forward. Hope he is ok, but it didn’t look good.

Diame went from arguably our worst player to our best.

Joselu actually played ok.

Atsu was awful and it seemed a strange decision.

Disappointed we didn’t quite get the rub of the green. But was a pretty decent performance, I thought.

Aye Ritchie sub looks bad. Both Kennedy and Ritchie were playing well. Everyone put in a decent effort today, except Atsu.

Didn’t see the game but could it not just be that he wanted fresh legs and pace since Spurs weren’t exactly up to speed?

That would have been the idea, but Atsu didn't really fancy it much and there is your problem.

Guest Howaythetoon

It’s going to be last season all over again for us I’m afraid. I just hope there are going to be 3 sides just as bad as Stoke, WBA and Swansea were and that we won’t be one of them. If this is to be Rafa’s final season because of the owner, anyone else and I’d want us to crash and burn, but he desont deserve it and nor do the players. Fans... you get what you pay for comes to mind!

Gotta tip hat to lloris to be honest. His smother job on Kenedy and his save on ayoze snap shot were brilliant. He had a hell of a match. We were unlucky on Diame and Rondon’s post too.

Shelvey, Atsu and Yedlin were absolutely appalling, particularly Jonjo. The rest all did well and apart from the shockingly slack marking on Alli for the winner we looked good.

Shelvey seemed pretty decent to me, certainly didn't seem appalling.

It’s going to be last season all over again for us I’m afraid. I just hope there are going to be 3 sides just as bad as Stoke, WBA and Swansea were and that we won’t be one of them. If this is to be Rafa’s final season because of the owner, anyone else and I’d want us to crash and burn, but he desont deserve it and nor do the players. Fans... you get what you pay for comes to mind!

Huddersfield and Cardiff would be the sides that I look at and think, I just dont see how they can stay up. Obviously huddersfield did it once and Wagner deserves plaudits for that but they added a striker that hasnt really done anything at Monaco and some random squad fillers. Cardfiff bought Murphy's brother and crickets. So that leaves one side and plenty of teams that could be that side.

Nah, we'll stay clear of relegation pretty comfortably IMO. It was a pretty weak starting 11 but we still held our own for the most part. Once we start getting some of the new signings integrated we should look a lot more effective. The shape of the side still looked really good so Rafa's organisation will remain a big factor for us.

Aye Ritchie sub looks bad. Both Kennedy and Ritchie were playing well. Everyone put in a decent effort today, except Atsu.

Didn’t see the game but could it not just be that he wanted fresh legs and pace since Spurs weren’t exactly up to speed?

That would have been the idea, but Atsu didn't really fancy it much and there is your problem.

Not to mention Ritchie was arguably our best player at that point in the game, we had zero build up play when he went off. ( Perez and Joselu going off also contributed to this )

It seemed like a stock winger for winger swap, but it was probably a poor reading of the situation. I'm not going to criticize too much though for obvious reasons. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Nah, we'll stay clear of relegation pretty comfortably IMO. It was a pretty weak starting 11 but we still held our own for the most part. Once we start getting some of the new signings integrated we should look a lot more effective. The shape of the side still looked really good so Rafa's organisation will remain a big factor for us.

I think we will be in the mix just like last season and will again have to rely on one or two of our better players performing to their max, stay free of injuries and the team to grind out points. We haven’t improved the first team one bit from the team that ended the season IMO or if we have only marginally.

I thought we were no different than we were at times last season and although we deserved a point, Spurs were in 1st gear at times and looked like they would score at will during parts of the match.

We look dangerous at set plays and created a few chances, but when you don’t have a goal scorer or experienced proven quality, those fine margins will work against you as it did today.

As Shearer said, just copy and paste last season for this one.

We will have our moments this season and beat the odd big team, but already that familiar same old same old NUFC Ashley seems enevitable and I don’t know about others, but where is the fun in that?

Rafa will prevent another relegation, but it’s going to be equally as grim as last season, just as tough and in no way fun to watch. Last season was a phew season, one of relief and a lets just get it out of the way thing because first we stayed up and secondly showed signs if we could add some quality there is the making of a good team and much better seasons to come.

But we haven’t done anything to change that, the majority of our rivals have though so it’s back to sqaure one. We won’t finish 10th again and I can see us in the bottom 3 after the first 5 or so games. Given the state of play just staying up would be an achievement. Again!

I think we will be in the mix just like last season and will again have to rely on one or two of our better players performing to their max, stay free of injuries and the team to grind out points. We haven’t improved the first team one bit from the team that ended the season IMO or if we have only marginally.

I thought we were no different than we were at times last season and although we deserved a point, Spurs were in 1st gear at times and looked like they would score at will during parts of the match.

We look dangerous at set plays and created a few chances, but when you don’t have a goal scorer or experienced proven quality, those fine margins will work against you as it did today.

As Shearer said, just copy and paste last season for this one.

We will have our moments this season and beat the odd big team, but already that familiar same old same old NUFC Ashley seems enevitable and I don’t know about others, but where is the fun in that?

Rafa will prevent another relegation, but it’s going to be equally as grim as last season, just as tough and in no way fun to watch. Last season was a phew season, one of relief and a lets just get it out of the way thing because first we stayed up and secondly showed signs if we could add some quality there is the making of a good team and much better seasons to come.

But we haven’t done anything to change that, the majority of our rivals have though so it’s back to sqaure one. We won’t finish 10th again and I can see us in the bottom 3 after the first 5 or so games. Given the state of play just staying up would be an achievement. Again!

This was said loads last season till people clocked we just don't make it easy for teams to play all out flowing football against us.