Newcastle United 1 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 10/08/18 - post-match from p. 17

Disco

I thought we did OK and deserved a point, but it wasn't to be. Some of the passing in midfield was sloppy at times - Yedlin had a mare at fullback. That said, Kenedy looked our best outlet, Ritchie did well. Bemused like anyone else as to why he was subbed off, because Attsu was toilet.

On that showing, I think we'll be OK this season.

Guest Howaythetoon

Not his type of game at all today and that’s why he can often become a passenger in games like this where he has no space and time and is tasked more with off the ball stuff first which he lacks the mobility, tactical discipline, fitness and awareness to do to a decent standard.

Diame was shit, but he did all of that much better and naturally so. But that is his game. Shelvey did try though and I definitely noticed tactically that this was his role today, to slug it out, sheild, press, fight in the air and disrupt their play.

That’s what Diame is for though and not what Shelvey should be in the team for. It kind of didn’t make sense and did g work which meant we had both of Perez and Joselu coming deep into midfield because they didn’t have Shelvey on the ball playing balls to them.

Having 2 players playing the same game is fine if they can both do that which as we know Diame can and obviously Shelvey can’t. Tactically I thought Rafa got it wrong today and he should not have subbed Ritchie who I thought before he went off was our best player behind Kennedy.

Don't understand any criticism of Shelvey today. He was great IMO, some fantastic passing that would have led to somewhere with better forwards. Also most of Spurs attacking players were ineffective at best ( Alli was the only one who wasn't IMO) so it's not like they exploited him defensively either.

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't understand any criticism of Shelvey today. He was great IMO, some fantastic passing that would have led to somewhere with better forwards. Also most of Spurs attacking players were ineffective at best ( Alli was the only one who wasn't IMO) so it's not like they exploited him defensively either.

Alli gets into some great positions, so hard to stop. Such a dangerous player and he didn’t even play well IMO. I thought Kane was superb for them coming off the line, he has so much more to his game than scoring goals. Some Shelvey like long passes out to the flanks and over the top from him as well. He had Diame and Atsu I think all over him deep in their half with the ball not under control, he just put his body in the way and he did a feint and a flick when the ball come under control leaving our two men standing there looking lost while he moved away before playing a ball out to the flank to set them on the way.

See, people just throw the lazy comment around. He's not a natural defensive midfielder but he's doing what he can. I thought he played well when the space opened up in the second half to be honest.

I think in general, people are far too quick to jump in and give him stick. He gets much more for that performance then Merino did whenever he was anonymous. And it can't just be because people expect more from him, because Merino was treat like the future of spain. I just don't get it. Shelvey's got his faults but he makes things happen, does his job and is so much more all rounded then he was when he was brought in. He used to be a liability when he wasn't creating all the time, now he's just average if the passing isn't quite there.

Guest covmag

Kane was totally anonymous.

agree but when you are choc full of good players you can get away with it, they were rusty yet still won in a canter to be honest

Thought Kane did what he did for England in the World Cup, was a nuisance, held it up, won free kicks. He's much better in open play than I've previously given him credit for.

How the fuck did we lose that, by the way?

See, people just throw the lazy comment around. He's not a natural defensive midfielder but he's doing what he can. I thought he played well when the space opened up in the second half to be honest.

I think in general, people are far too quick to jump in and give him stick. He gets much more for that performance then Merino did whenever he was anonymous. And it can't just be because people expect more from him, because Merino was treat like the future of spain. I just don't get it. Shelvey's got his faults but he makes things happen, does his job and is so much more all rounded then he was when he was brought in. He used to be a liability when he wasn't creating all the time, now he's just average if the passing isn't quite there.

Merino got criticised when not putting in a shift as well, I don't really get the comparison. Shelvey got stick in some games early last season, but he was outstanding along with Diame in the latter part of the campaign. He was poor yesterday IMO, but it was just one game, nothing personal about the critique, he might be MOTM next week.

Shelvey was also really good defensively in the match, he won more the ball more than any other player on the pitch. He has certainly added to that side of his game in the past 12 months. He was also the man chasing the ball down, as seen in the second half where he was player pressing highest. Some of the comments towards him are bizarre and lazy. He had a great game.

Moussa Sissoko could be set for a retrospective ban from the Football Association after he was caught appearing to stamp on Newcastle United’s Kenedy during the 2-1 win at St James’ Park yesterday, according to The Sun.

NINTCHDBPICT000426075708.jpg?w=960

Not shown on TV at all. Imagine if it was Shelvey on Kane, man. Shite

Guest chopey

The whole stadium was very subdued on Saturday, the atmosphere was crap, hardly no singing and it was almost as though everyone expected Spurs to win even when we scored nobody was jumping around.

I can't believe how much the match day experience has changed in the eleven years Ashely has been here but we are no longer fans we are just zombies that turn up just to say we did.