Miguel Almirón

Deuce

2 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah very frustrating, what was he doing ffs and similar to Joelinton crossing v Liverpool away when he should’ve taken it to the corner. I think we still lacks players with that nous and experience to see games out. Chelsea away when Havaertz scored at the death too. I think as our quality of player improves we’ll see less of this. We fail to close out too many of these type of games. 

Miggy is knackered though with Barnes and Murphy out who would’ve been coming on with 20-25 to go and even starting some games.

Never had a problem with Joelinton putting the ball in the box against Liverpool.

It was 1-1 and we had men forward, we could have won the game there.

Aye, it very much backfired in the result but the process always made sense to me.

Almiron was basically just giving the ball back to them. You're never scoring from there and we were winning the game. Just so silly.

On 18/12/2023 at 16:26, Gallowgate Toon said:

The main problem with Miggy is that he plays to the pattern almost 100% when on the right, there's practically no deviation from it. Even if there's space for him to attack and he has legs on his opponent, it's still most often the same move which really slows us down.

And his lack of right peg too [emoji38]

Aye, rare for him to do any different but watcing Gordon doing the same, time and time again electing not to go down the wing but set off into central areas, leads me to think it might be Howe's instructions.

Leaving aside Miggy can't cross with his left you can't do the same thing every time, even a 12 yr old would quickly suss you out and be ready for it.

Also remember now last night, Tino had at least two opportunities to bomb down the wing and elected to turn and pass in towards the central areas. Got to be a Howe thing but failing to understand why atm.

4 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah very frustrating, what was he doing ffs and similar to Joelinton crossing v Liverpool away when he should’ve taken it to the corner. I think we still lacks players with that nous and experience to see games out. Chelsea away when Havaertz scored at the death too. I think as our quality of player improves we’ll see less of this. We fail to close out too many of these type of games. 

Miggy is knackered though with Barnes and Murphy out who would’ve been coming on with 20-25 to go and even starting some games.

Miggy's not really one of those players you would ever really credit with nous. He plays at 100mph, which is fantastic in many aspects, his pace is an asset, especially defensively. You won't see him playing many defence splitting passes though, and even fewer killer crosses. He's a workhorse mainly, been great for us to this stage, but won't take us to the next level.

Miggy really only works when the rest of the team are making the space for him, Longstaff making those runs into the channels, Trippier offering width, Bruno in the 8 position, dragging teams around. Otherwise he doesn’t have the chops to beat someone and isn’t really a threat in terms of crossing or passing. We really needed to upgrade RW in summer, looks a mistake to have not done that now.

5 hours ago, Shak said:

Never had a problem with Joelinton putting the ball in the box against Liverpool.

It was 1-1 and we had men forward, we could have won the game there.

Aye, it very much backfired in the result but the process always made sense to me.

Almiron was basically just giving the ball back to them. You're never scoring from there and we were winning the game. Just so silly.

I never had an issue with Joelinton as it should have been the last play of the game anyway.

3 hours ago, AJ9 said:

Miggy really only works when the rest of the team are making the space for him, Longstaff making those runs into the channels, Trippier offering width, Bruno in the 8 position, dragging teams around. Otherwise he doesn’t have the chops to beat someone and isn’t really a threat in terms of crossing or passing. We really needed to upgrade RW in summer, looks a mistake to have not done that now.

So basically he needs two world class players right next to him to look good?

I thought he was one of the few players who looked like he was playing at 100% in the first half, he was looking quite sharp....until he got in the penalty area. Watching Salah ram the ball home just now shows the difference real class makes at this level.

He's shattered and it shows. When we can rotate and he's not playing 90 minutes 3 times a week we'll see more from him. 

Never stops trying though, had a mental sprint against Chelsea late on to close down their keeper where I couldn't understand where he got the energy. 

Will be a brilliant rotation option for us going forward once we have other options, be that Murphy and Barnes coming back or an incoming transfer 

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

I thought he was one of the few players who looked like he was playing at 100% in the first half, he was looking quite sharp....until he got in the penalty area. Watching Salah ram the ball home just now shows the difference real class makes at this level.

you thought completely wrong if that’s what you saw first half. 

7 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I could tolerate the lack of goals if he got enough assists but he doesn't get those either, only managed 6 in his entire Premier Leaugue career 

This is the most worrying stat and only 1 assist this season. Diaby who we tracked for so long has 5 this season already and I believe he has been injured for part of that.

5 minutes ago, pubteam said:

This is the most worrying stat and only 1 assist this season. Diaby who we tracked for so long has 5 this season already and I believe he has been injured for part of that.

Neto has 7 and he's missed a chunk of the season 

Players like Almiron, Burn etc have been good for us but we really have to start being ruthless 

11 minutes ago, pubteam said:

He has 6 PL assists since he signed for the club in January 2019. 6 assists in 5 years, man.

The Bruce years hardly count re: that assist stat. Was playing as an auxiliary fullback the majority of the time. 

We all know his limitations, but there's no particular reason to single him out today. His game is very much emblematic of our playing style overall - centred around energy and intensity. Take both of those away through fatigue and it's little wonder he looks poor, as with the rest of the team to somewhat varying degrees. 

Edited by Barnes23

3 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

The Bruce years hardly count. Was playing as an auxiliary fullback the vast majority of the time. 

We all know his limitations, but there's no particular reason to single him out today. His game is very much emblematic of our playing style overall - centred around energy and intensity. Take both of those away through fatigue and it's little wonder he looks poor, as with the rest of the team to somewhat varying degrees. 

He's played more games not under Bruce than under Bruce.

We needed a RW in the summer and we still need one now.