Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

I've said this before and I'll keep on saying it until Ashley is gone.  Mike Ashley will not sell Newcastle United Football Club until it provides no commercial benefit to or is a commercial drag on Sports Direct.

Mike Ashley's sole motivator (likely in all things within his life) is the success and value of his Sports Direct brand.  Everything he does is either an expansion of the Sports Direct empire or is designed to increase the value of the Sports Direct empire.  NUFC falls into the latter of these two and only exists to increase the value of Sports Direct.  Our issue, as fans, is that we believe that NUFC should be at the top of its owner's priorities and all things should be subservient to the needs of NUFC.  What fans have failed to accept is that, in effect, NUFC is just an project within the marketing department of Sports Direct.

The attractiveness of NUFC to Mike Ashley is the club's ability to increase the brand awareness of Sports Direct and to increase the brand value of Sports Direct, with very limited amounts of money from Sports Direct to achieve those outcomes.  Essentially, NUFC is an ideal investment for Mike Ashley because it boosts the global brand awareness of Sports Direct without the need for Sports Direct to actually pay for an equivalent brand awareness marketing campaign.

This means that Mike Ashley will not sell NUFC until one of two things happens, either:

[*]The club becomes a financial burden to Sports Direct - that Sports Direct (Mike Ashley) is having to regularly, over a number of years, inject money into the club to keep the club in a position to promote the brand of Sports Direct; or

[*]The brand value of club is a negative to the brand value of Sports Direct - if association with the club becomes toxic to the image of Sports Direct and thereby lowers the value of Sports Direct.

Option 2, above, is why when protests have become more significant (e.g. protests outside of Sports Direct stores; AshleyOut.com banners; etc) Ashley has dusted off his wallet and has paid to bring in some players.  Because at that point the brand of NUFC has become a drag on the brand of Sports Direct and Ashley knows the flakiness of NUFC fans means they can be bought off with a modest amount of investment.

Option 1, above, is why I think it will take a number of successive relegations (like Sunderland have experienced) before Ashley will sell.  I think a number of successive bad performances causing the club to do a double drop (to League 1) would then cause successive years of financial loss for NUFC, which would cause Ashley to have to put in substantial investment to get the club back to a position to being useful to Sports Direct (as a marketing tool), which Ashley won't want to do and hence he will sell.

So, in my opinion, if the fans want Ashley gone without the need for a double relegation then they need to pursue Option 1 above more aggressively and damage the brand of the club in a way that causes damage to the brand of Sports Direct.  If fans are not prepared to do this then they have to wait until successive relegations (or at least being well and truly stuck in the Championship for a few years).

I've said this before and I'll keep on saying it until Ashley is gone.  Mike Ashley will not sell Newcastle United Football Club until it provides no commercial benefit to or is a commercial drag on Sports Direct.

Mike Ashley's sole motivator (likely in all things within his life) is the success and value of his Sports Direct brand.  Everything he does is either an expansion of the Sports Direct empire or is designed to increase the value of the Sports Direct empire.  NUFC falls into the latter of these two and only exists to increase the value of Sports Direct.  Our issue, as fans, is that we believe that NUFC should be at the top of its owner's priorities and all things should be subservient to the needs of NUFC.  What fans have failed to accept is that, in effect, NUFC is just an project within the marketing department of Sports Direct.

The attractiveness of NUFC to Mike Ashley is the club's ability to increase the brand awareness of Sports Direct and to increase the brand value of Sports Direct, with very limited amounts of money from Sports Direct to achieve those outcomes.  Essentially, NUFC is an ideal investment for Mike Ashley because it boosts the global brand awareness of Sports Direct without the need for Sports Direct to actually pay for an equivalent brand awareness marketing campaign.

This means that Mike Ashley will not sell NUFC until one of two things happens, either:

[*]The club becomes a financial burden to Sports Direct - that Sports Direct (Mike Ashley) is having to regularly, over a number of years, inject money into the club to keep the club in a position to promote the brand of Sports Direct; or

[*]The brand value of club is a negative to the brand value of Sports Direct - if association with the club becomes toxic to the image of Sports Direct and thereby lowers the value of Sports Direct.

Option 2, above, is why when protests have become more significant (e.g. protests outside of Sports Direct stores; AshleyOut.com banners; etc) Ashley has dusted off his wallet and has paid to bring in some players.  Because at that point the brand of NUFC has become a drag on the brand of Sports Direct and Ashley knows the flakiness of NUFC fans means they can be bought off with a modest amount of investment.

Option 1, above, is why I think it will take a number of successive relegations (like Sunderland have experienced) before Ashley will sell.  I think a number of successive bad performances causing the club to do a double drop (to League 1) would then cause successive years of financial loss for NUFC, which would cause Ashley to have to put in substantial investment to get the club back to a position to being useful to Sports Direct (as a marketing tool), which Ashley won't want to do and hence he will sell.

So, in my opinion, if the fans want Ashley gone without the need for a double relegation then they need to pursue Option 1 above more aggressively and damage the brand of the club in a way that causes damage to the brand of Sports Direct.  If fans are not prepared to do this then they have to wait until successive relegations (or at least being well and truly stuck in the Championship for a few years).

Good post.  Shutting down the Sports Direct twitter got his attention as i'm sure promoting Sports Redirect did.  Another sustained campaign like that would be nice.

People just can't be arsed anymore. He's won, we need to deal with it and walk away.

:thup:

The Arsenal game was the deathknell. Matchgoers actively making sure they attended this game ahead of all others to show their support for the regime and it's decision to appoint local Steve.

I think fans just have to accept that deep down most fans who go to games don't mind Ashley and find the idea of the club being successful an affront as they can't play the woe is me / I went in 1983 when you had to swim in piss on the terraces card.

Just a question, but there are those of us that have never been able (for whatever reason) to visit sjp are we allowed to go once if given the chance without being branded an ashley bumboy

Do want ever you want.  A handful of match tickets will make no odds.  It’s the supporters that are on 10 year plans that refuse to quit that sustain Ashley. 

P.s. enjoy the day  don’t expect any entertainment on the grass. 

Just a question, but there are those of us that have never been able (for whatever reason) to visit sjp are we allowed to go once if given the chance without being branded an ashley bumboy

Aye I’d say do what you want.

Yep, go for it. It'll be a guaranteed shitfest of a game but don't let that put you off.

100% agree, however I think we need to stop distinguishing Sports Direct and Newcastle United as two separate entities

This. I think it'd be an idea to have everyone on here refer to us as SDFC. It'd be nice if we could get that snowball  in motion.

My friend's uncle hooked us up with some free VIP tickets for the Arsenal game two weeks ago. It was me +3 Arsenal supporters, and one of those was also seeing his team for the first time live. It was a bit heartbreaking to see the difference of excitement between us as he was hyped for the entire weekend whilst I couldnt really care.

Really wish Id went when Rafa was the manager and I was actually enjoying the games. Ill definitely save my first SJP experience for a more positive time, even though I might wait another decade for that to happen

Aye I should have went last season but decided to ultimately save some cash and not book the trip. I’m itching for my first trip to the city to see a match at SJP as well but have no desire to go under Bruce

Guest reefatoon

I hate to talk about the PL at all now, other fans just don’t get why I don’t care about our results. They open with some banter about Newcastle and just get no response.

Totally agree with this Ian. It even gets to the point now, where someone will pipe up with a bit of football talk, and I am instantly bored. Roll the eyes and just switch off. The whole thing just bores me rigid.

I hate to talk about the PL at all now, other fans just don’t get why I don’t care about our results. They open with some banter about Newcastle and just get no response.

Totally agree with this Ian. It even gets to the point now, where someone will pipe up with a bit of football talk, and I am instantly bored. Roll the eyes and just switch off. The whole thing just bores me rigid.

:thup: been the same way for a long time now.

So bored that you spend your day on a football section of an internet forum?  :lol:

Guest reefatoon

So bored that you spend your day on a football section of an internet forum?  :lol:

No football talk in any of these threads, it's all just good old hatred for it all, and is a good distraction while sitting here at work. I was more talking about when you are out and some boring knacker wants to gob on about football.

People have been asking for this thread to be locked. It should be the open football thread open! Nothing else matters.

Here he is :lol:

Guest neesy111

Here he is :lol:

On his high horse as per usual.