Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Worth quoting in full for those who don't like to go on the Chronicle website (most people).

First Rafa, then Perez and now Bruce - Mike Ashley has taken a sledgehammer to Geordie hopes

It's gone from bad to worse for Newcastle United fans this summer

By John Gibson

08:00, 13 JUL 2019 UPDATED10:05, 13 JUL 2019

Can any set of loyal fans have been so repeatedly smashed into a million little pieces by the owner of their football club?

Mike Ashley has taken a sledgehammer to Geordie hopes this sorry summer.

First he forces out a world-class manager Rafa Benitez through stifling restrictions on ambition, then he sells Newcastle's top scorer Ayoze Perez not to a Champions League elite club but Leicester City, and finally he decides to appoint Steve Bruce after supposedly sounding out another figure of fan fury Sam Allardyce.

That, in many eyes, is equivalent to repeated acts of grievous bodily harm.

Benitez is loved as much as Bruce isn't which makes the departure of one and the arrival of the other the most extreme double gesture ever.

Let me say straight away that I believe the appointment of Steve Bruce is a massively ill-advised one.

First he forces out a world-class manager Rafa Benitez through stifling restrictions on ambition, then he sells Newcastle's top scorer Ayoze Perez not to a Champions League elite club but Leicester City, and finally he decides to appoint Steve Bruce after supposedly sounding out another figure of fan fury Sam Allardyce.

That, in many eyes, is equivalent to repeated acts of grievous bodily harm.

Benitez is loved as much as Bruce isn't which makes the departure of one and the arrival of the other the most extreme double gesture ever.

Let me say straight away that I believe the appointment of Steve Bruce is a massively ill-advised one.

The only answer is to win matches quickly and go on winning them, but then didn't Pardew steer United to a top-five finish which gained him the coveted Manager of the Year award ahead of the heavyweights, yet his legacy remains one of scorn. He was never able to win over the rank and file.

Sorry, Steve, but it's all about timing and this isn't the time. You turned down the job twice mate when much more was in your favour.

Now being Newcastle-born, a Magpie fan as a kid, and a man who still has family ties up here won't wash with a crowd that can be the biggest strength of this great club but also a huge force for negativity.

Bruce coming here will only add to the clamour in some quarters for fans to boycott SJP this season starting against Arsenal on the opening day of a new season when a nation will be watching on TV.

Remember Steve, you told me that with hindsight becoming Sunderland's manager was a mistake because with your Newcastle background every Mackem was shooting for you when things went the slightest bit wrong.

However having served with distinction at Manchester United under Fergie for so long you couldn't say no to another opportunity "at a big club" and turn your back on a warm chairman Niall Quinn.

The big difference, Steve, is that Quinn was loved by the Sunderland crowd which gave any appointment of his a chance and Ashley is hated. His stamp on your passport is the kiss of death, a huge burden to carry in a Grand National race.

I realise that at 59 a final chance to manage a club of true history is too alluring to turn down - you could regret it for the rest of your life - but if you couldn't convince the suspicious Sunderland fans what makes you think you can be King Canute and turn the tide just up the road?

United, by the way, privately deny that they offered the job to Big Sam, who Ashley sacked of course, and that is probably so, though he was sounded out with talks taking place between representatives of both parties but not Ashley and Allardyce direct.

Nevertheless, to consider Allardyce and then turn to Bruce is seen by a vast swathe of those who pay for the privilege of watching United as a deliberate slap in the face.

I admit for me there is a personal tug as well as a genuine fear. Not only is Bruce a pal but I gave one of his top backroom staff Steve Agnew his first coaching job when I owned Gateshead. The head, however, must rule the heart.

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of Steve Bruce and Newcastle United. I would love to be wrong but I'm afraid that the tide is flowing strongly only one way.

Benitez, a meticulous thinker about Planet Football, inevitably had a Plan B already in place to be immediately executed once he officially left SJP.

Having told Newcastle way back in May that he wouldn't be penning a new deal under strangulation conditions he was ready to act when his contract ran out at the end of the following month.

Within 24 hours of deadline day Rafa had signed a whopping big contract with Chinese super club Dalian Yifang and was in town plotting his first match days later.

Meanwhile Ashley, forewarned that his Magpie was about to fly the nest, had no Plan B whatsoever.

It meant he has been scratching around for a replacement with the likes of Mourinho, Wenger, Steven Gerrard, Patrick Vieira, Roberto Martinez, Mikel Arteta and eventually Allardyce withdrawing from the running.

Lee Charnley was supposedly dispatched to Europe to find a new manager - and came back with a bloke employed in Sheffield.

I mean who is a clever boy and who isn't - Rafa or Ashley? Who carefully plots the future and who doesn't? Who showboats with glaring indifference? Who can be accused - and not for the first time - of not acting in the club's best interests?

Nottingham Forest may be languishing a division down in the Championship with their Cloughie salad days long gone but THEY had a Plan B unlike United.

Forest knew their manager was going - they sacked Martin O'Neill - but within 18 minutes they were able to announce his replacement would be former Rennes and Ivory Coast manager Sabri Lamouchi.

Another Cloughie club Derby County were likewise smartish after being alerted that Frank Lampard was about to take to his toes for Chelsea.

Those are smooth transitions, this is a mess.

Social media has been awash with cynicism over Ashley's perceived stance on selling, the lack of progress on any deal, the lack of a credible managerial appointment in supporters' eyes, and the total failure to sign a solitary single player.

Frankly, the fans don't believe whatever the message put out through the back door.

If Bruce does get the job I hope John Gibson is at the press unveiling to restate this opinion directly to Bruce for the rest of the media to hear.

Guest reefatoon

Would be fabulous if every time our fuckwits in charge tried to appoint someone, everyone kicked off like they have with Bruce and put them off from becoming manager. Would be great to see how long that could go on without them appointing someone.

Would be fabulous if every time our fuckwits in charge tried to appoint someone, everyone kicked off like they have with Bruce and put them off from becoming manager. Would be great to see how long that could go on without them appointing someone.

You can 100% guarantee the fans will be blamed by the dickheads in the media for making it an impossible job. We'll only have ourselves to blame when NUFC are relegated from the Premiership. Mike Ashley is a businessman and he doesn't want to put his own money into the club, etc, etc.

You can 100% guarantee the fans will be blamed by the dickheads in the media for making it an impossible job. We'll only have ourselves to blame when NUFC are relegated from the Premiership. Mike Ashley is a businessman and he doesn't want to put his own money into the club, etc, etc.

:partridgeshrug:

:partridgeshrug:

Oh yes, bring it on, I'm just saying what arseholes like Danny Murphy will say.

Guest The Little Waster

If he comes here he can't claim he never knew about Ashley , it'll be purely for the £££££££££

It’s horrendously written but yeah

Lol he always hoys some emotional shite in about Geordie hearts being broken but hes still miles better than the rest of them

We used to laugh at Gibson's 'Geordie hearts are broken' style from bygone ages, but that article puts the current local journalists to shame.

Fair play to the old fella, shows he's still got some integrity, not to mention big enough balls to upset a few people, including his mate Bruce.

would honestly love Pardew back.

couldnt hate any prick as much as him.

we need someone we can absolutely hate from the start.

I wouldn't, I still know people now that hold fond memories of Pardue "but he got us to 5th". We need someone worse!

I find it staggering that people have watched Pardew's FA Cup dance and still think there could be someone worse.

Joe Kinnesr would give him a run for his money like.

I can laugh at Kinnear, he’s an involuntary jester the senile old git. Pardew is just a horrible, horrible person. Nothing redeeming about him.

Exactly. I can't remember actually going to a game and wanting us to lose, but with Pardew that actually happened.