Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

The more I look at this Bruce scenario the more I'm convinced that he was never 11th choice, I think he was first choice because he ticks all of the Ashley boxes.  By putting out rumors that Bruce was 11th choice makes it look like Ashley and co tried really hard to bring in a top manager but I now believe that was never the case.

Guest neesy111

The more I look at this Bruce scenario the more I'm convinced that he was never 11th choice, I think he was first choice because he ticks all of the Ashley boxes.  By putting out rumors that Bruce was 11th choice makes it look like Ashley and co tried really hard to bring in a top manager but I now believe that was never the case.

I can easily see him agreeing to that scenario as well.

Possible but we could have done a lot worse.

Possible but we could have done a lot worse.

"Owen Coyle's Black and White Army"

I do think you create a fair bit of your own luck. Managers like Bruce and Pardew can sometimes build really great team spirit and morale, with determination you get the rub of the green more often than not. You make good chances harder for the opposition.  Make the most of yours.  Often it’s by not over complicating things.  That’s where our biggest failures like Souness and SMC failed. One couldn’t build team spirit because he fell out with players.  The other over complicated things and couldn’t motivate and build momentum. 

For Bruce It’s when they’re genuinely unlucky. Heads drop. Players start questioning their methods or the motivation wanes they can’t turn it around. But for now it’s working and he deserves credit for it. Worse managers would be in deeper trouble.

Don't fall for it TCD. You found it really difficult to come back from your years of misplaced Pardew appreciation. I would not like to see you go down that road again with Bruce.

In terms of managerial ability we could have done a bit worse. In terms of the mood around the club and getting Ashley out it couldn't have gone much worse.

This, pretty much.

I have to add, I don’t think we could have gone much worse in terms of style/quality of football. What I’ve seen this season... *shudder*

Big Sam wasn't approached it was more distorted reporting from the press.  It was Sams agent who asked Sam if he might be interested and he said he wasn't.  That is not Sam being approached it's his agent testing the water with Sam to see if it's worth his while approaching Ashley on his behalf

Big Sam wasn't approached it was more distorted reporting from the press.  It was Sams agent who asked Sam if he might be interested and he said he wasn't.  That is not Sam being approached it's his agent testing the water with Sam to see if it's worth his while approaching Ashley on his behalf

SA said that he ”politely said no”, sure could be talking about his agent but I’ll forgive the press for ”distorting” that one :lol:

Of course Bruce was first choice. There’s no doubt about that whatsoever. Just look at MA’s previous record of managerial appointments since KK. Grateful patsies. None of the aforementioned (Arteta, Vieira) fit his profile.