Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

It feels to me like it's not just a stats-related debate as to why some fans don't want to give him credit. I know for me when I look it it objectively, it's also based on emotions; and I for one still feel more than vindicated in it.

We were coming out of a second half of last season that showed what we may be able to start doing if Rafa had finally gotten the backing he deserved. That hope was pulled from under us, to be replaced by a mediocre local with one of the worst managerial records since the PL began, that seems to have had an active dislike for the club for at least twenty years, now coming and telling us some bollocks about boyhood dreams because taking the job finally suited him. Talking shit about our former world-class manager (who mostly finally united our fanbase for the first time in years) whenever he failed, all the while his media buddies were telling fans they needed to get over said former manager. Crying like a little bitch about not getting a fair shake when those same fans had the audacity to question these points-defying performances.

If he'd have taken over after, say, Carver, he wouldn't be getting anywhere near the (still not that that much) vitriol from fans. But he knew what he was walking in to here, was still happy to do so, yet cried foul whenever it suited him.

It bewilders me how a debate always kicks off in here because some people are incredulous at the fact some fans don't want to give him credit for this season. How is it such a shock to see fans get defensive? As I posted earlier, these feelings are probably even more heightened among some when we experienced similar with Pardew, whose eight year contract hasn't even fucking ended yet. :lol:

Everyone seems to be on the same page in wanting him to be replaced long-term, which is why I'm even more confused these arguments rear their head so often. He's a shit manager, and seems a bit of bellwipe, whether he's got pals in the media that want to argue otherwise. Unsurprisingly, some of us couldn't give a shit about making sure the poor fat whopper gets whatever credit others want to give him for this season.

Poor little Stevie Bruce getting the love he's decided he so desperately craves from NUFC is very much near the bottom of my list of things I give a fuck about as an NUFC fan.

:thup: Bang on.

It feels to me like it's not just a stats-related debate as to why some fans don't want to give him credit. I know for me when I look it it objectively, it's also based on emotions; and I for one still feel more than vindicated in it.

We were coming out of a second half of last season that showed what we may be able to start doing if Rafa had finally gotten the backing he deserved. That hope was pulled from under us, to be replaced by a mediocre local with one of the worst managerial records since the PL began, that seems to have had an active dislike for the club for at least twenty years, now coming and telling us some bollocks about boyhood dreams because taking the job finally suited him. Talking shit about our former world-class manager (who mostly finally united our fanbase for the first time in years) whenever he failed, all the while his media buddies were telling fans they needed to get over said former manager. Crying like a little bitch about not getting a fair shake when those same fans had the audacity to question these points-defying performances.

If he'd have taken over after, say, Carver, he wouldn't be getting anywhere near the (still not that that much) vitriol from fans. But he knew what he was walking in to here, was still happy to do so, yet cried foul whenever it suited him.

It bewilders me how a debate always kicks off in here because some people are incredulous at the fact some fans don't want to give him credit for this season. How is it such a shock to see fans get defensive? As I posted earlier, these feelings are probably even more heightened among some when we experienced similar with Pardew, whose eight year contract hasn't even fucking ended yet. :lol:

Everyone seems to be on the same page in wanting him to be replaced long-term, which is why I'm even more confused these arguments rear their head so often. He's a shit manager, and seems a bit of bellwipe, whether he's got pals in the media that want to argue otherwise. Unsurprisingly, some of us couldn't give a shit about making sure the poor fat whopper gets whatever credit others want to give him for this season.

Poor little Stevie Bruce getting the love he's decided he so desperately craves from NUFC is very much near the bottom of my list of things I give a fuck about as an NUFC fan.

Well put.

Bang on. Still can't understand why people agree he's not good enough, but still want to defend him to the hilt. I mean if you don't think he's good enough, why would you give a shit?

Guest chopey

It's hard not to give the fucking oaf some credit this season.  A lot of it is down to luck but he's got a spirit in the team (considering how poor they are) that I probably haven't seen since Hughton.

TBF  I think we have some good players

He fitted perfectly into Mike Ashleys business model, get a cheap bloke in (by default a yes man because he's way above his level) and to try to survive in the PL.

I agree the team has a good spirit but believe that is carried over from Rafa's time here, that will erode over time under him.

He will be binned off quickly enough under new owners, imagine being an ambitious club under new ownership (when it happens) with Steve Bruce as your manager....no thanks.

Well put.

That’s perfectly analysed - well done.

Rafa wanted players with good character and bought well. Hence the team spirit. Shelvey might love Brewcey but that’s because he doesn’t have to train hard or run much.

It’s so tiresome how black and white it has to be for most people. He has done some good things, but against a backdrop of pretty low expectations and a lot of apathy. However, he’s still what most of us thought he’d be at absolute best - mediocre, uninspiring and lacking in long-term plan. The football is unsustainably bad if you understand most normal modern metrics (we are criminally reliant on our diamond in the rough goalkeeper, for a start). That’s before we get to the fact that no actual Newcastle fan would get into bed with Ashley that gratefully and try to temper ambitions. It was even evident after the last game - “if you’d have told me we’d be just 2 points of arsenal with 8 games left....” - it’s the same banal and really transparent attempts at spin for the purpose of self-preservation you see in the government briefings. It’s unconvinced and awkward and it’s super telling that he has to keep doing it and getting his white English drinking buds from 90s Man United to do the same.

I just think it’s a really fair solution: he got to manage a club way out of his league but for Ashley, enhanced his reputation, earned some good money and can now cry off about how hard done by he was and get a few more managerial gigs out of it.

Nonetheless, in the interests of balance, I think some highlights have been that he’s clearly got a tune out of Shelvey, the players are willing to throw themselves about and “put it in” for him and he has, undeniably, played some part in making the side difficult to beat in most games.

I don’t even think it’s rude or harsh - thanks for being an acceptable steward at the fag end of a largely crap time for the club, you didn’t embarrass us or yourself really and you helped us stay up / got us to mid table or whatever the end result is. Cheers, no hard feelings, but the situation has changed and unfortunately we have higher ambitions that we think we need a more successful manager to satisfy. Here’s lots of money for your inconvenience.

He has embarrassed himself for pretending to love the club and then taking this gig under this toxic regime. No one who truly loved the club would have taken the job. Simple really.

Bruce was appointed on the cheap in typical Ashley era fashion. See Pardew, McClaren, Kinnear, Hughton and John fucking Carver. It paid off a couple of times, Pardew with one season and Hughton, but in general its been a disaster and Rafa was an exception. Bruce is a cheap and cheerful yes man for Ashley and should be binned off asap when the takeover is complete.

He has done well given the circumstances but don't forget how shit it was going before he reverted back to Rafa's defensive shape from last season, that is when the results began to change. He is also statistically the worst manager in PL history and has a horrendous track record of managing clubs at this level, so why in the fuck would we let him manage us under our new era? Why waste a season and tens of millions of pounds in our first season with new owners? It's fucking crazy. All his supporters will forget all about him after a couple of weeks under the new manager so who cares? Bin him off and move on, nothing else needs to be said really.

He hasn’t ‘done well given the circumstances’. He took over a squad primed to push for the top 8 and had £60m added to the attack. Yes he lost Perez & Rondon, but it’s taken him 30 games to finally play the forwards in positions that suits all of them.

He hasn’t ‘done well given the circumstances’. He took over a squad primed to push for the top 8 and had £60m added to the attack. Yes he lost Perez & Rondon, but it’s taken him 30 games to finally play the forwards in positions that suits all of them.

Look I hate Bruce as much as the next person but he lost both our top scorers from last season, he didn't have the full summer to work with the squad and the club was surrounded in negativity from day one. The striker bought to replace those goals also couldn't hit a barn door. So yeah the circumstances were difficult, especially given the fact that he is a poor manager.

The club that was pushing for the top 8 had a brilliant manager, still had our 2 top scorers and had the full backing of the supporters, it wasn't the same club once all that was taken away. We're 11 points clear of 18th with 8 games to go, most people last August would have predicted us to be 20th at this stage. I predicted this season to be a complete disaster and he has kept us up quite comfortably, so I would say he has done well yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that I want him gone and replaced.

If he’d played a left-footer on the left, a right-footer on the right (like Rafa did with Almiron/Atsu, Perez & Rondon second half of last season), I’m figuring this season’s front three would have a fair few more goals and assists between them. We saw from the chances created and goals scored on Sunday that those three can play together.

Instead he’s hidden behind the 5-2-3 formation, even though the formation was the same, the tactics were different because he didn’t play the ball playing CBS, the wing-backs were deeper, the wide forwards were also deeper and on their wrong sides. He’s got it badly wrong this season, been bailed out by a top class keeper and goals from set-pieces. Had he just played Almiron left, ASM right, we could have been in the running for Europe now. Would have only taken a couple of more wins.

Look I hate Bruce as much as the next person but he lost both our top scorers from last season, he didn't have the full summer to work with the squad and the club was surrounded in negativity from day one. The striker bought to replace those goals also couldn't hit a barn door. So yeah the circumstances were difficult, especially given the fact that he is a poor manager.

The club that was pushing for the top 8 had a brilliant manager, still had our 2 top scorers and had the full backing of the supporters, it wasn't the same club once all that was taken away. We're 11 points clear of 18th with 8 games to go, most people last August would have predicted us to be 20th at this stage. I predicted this season to be a complete disaster and he has kept us up quite comfortably, so I would say he has done well yeah, but that doesn't change the fact that I want him gone and replaced.

maxresdefault.jpg

So what has Steve Bruce ever done for us? Nothing!

Instead he’s hidden behind the 5-2-3 formation, even though the formation was the same, the tactics were different because he didn’t play the ball playing CBS, the wing-backs were deeper, the wide forwards were also deeper and on their wrong sides. He’s got it badly wrong this season, been bailed out by a top class keeper and goals from set-pieces. Had he just played Almiron left, ASM right, we could have been in the running for Europe now. Would have only taken a couple of more wins.

Solid assessment this.

He should be kept on in some capacity purely as the human equivalent of a sprig of lucky heather. A good manager,some Saudi investment and Bruce’s luck could see us vying for the champions league, Euros and the World Cup.

Solid assessment this.

yep nailed it, absolutely spot on, and worse it was absolutely obvious to anyone watching what needed to happen

I don’t think it’s as clear cut as saying that Bruce was hiding behind 523, he tried something else earlier in the season and quickly became clear it wouldn’t work. Think losing Rafa, Perez, and Rondon really broke the players confidence and we had to maintain stability in defence and rebuild offensively as we got points on the board and got more confidence. Wouldn’t be surprised if we went on to be top 6 form for last 9 games now.

Want him gone but he’s done better than we all expected in what has practically been a caretaker manager role.