Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Very similar to the Pardew era this.

Yup, i really dont understand how anyone can rate Bruce.

We don't.

This is what pisses me off about this board. Most posters don't read properly.

'Crap manager nobody wants has had a decent season' is how I'd sum it up.

Exactly. I thought we'd be close to relegation zone with Bruce. It's vital we stay up - and the club can progress forward.

Bruce can move on with a nice payout, will get decent championship club for next job. That is fine. No problems here.

All our wins this season have been down to either luck or Benitez it seems.

Assuming we get sold and we have a dedication to challenging for Europe, then Steve Bruce is clearly not the right man to lead the club into this future. He’s done better so far than I’ve expected - keep it down to the strong core of the team, fortunate results and a bit of luck. Hopefully we pick up some more results and finish high as possible, get sold, he gets a thank you and is let go and we don’t have to speak too much about him again.

Assuming we get sold and we have a dedication to challenging for Europe, then Steve Bruce is clearly not the right man to lead the club into this future. He’s done better so far than I’ve expected - keep it down to the strong core of the team, fortunate results and a bit of luck. Hopefully we pick up some more results and finish high as possible, get sold, he gets a thank you and is let go and we don’t have to speak too much about him again.

That's quite literally it.

Our overall record in all competitions:

W13, D11, L12 - that is solid enough. You can't go 36 games into a season and everything is down to "pure luck".

It's a silly argument. And again that not say we haven't had some luck, because we have.

A fair comment.

A fair comment.

Ideally our next appointment is a manager who's never had to rely on luck to win games of football. Ever.

Our overall record in all competitions:

W13, D11, L12 - that is solid enough. You can't go 36 games into a season and everything is down to "pure luck".

It's a silly argument. And again that not say we haven't had some luck, because we have.

Read my post.

2nd in set piece goals in class. Must have been working on those in the training ground.

Guest Butcher

Everything that’s good - someone elses work

Everything that’s bad.  - Steve Bruce’s fault

:lol:

A fair comment.

Ideally our next appointment is a manager who's never had to rely on luck to win games of football. Ever.

Yeah, that's exactly what people are saying.

A fair comment.

Many having a pop at Bruce for relying on luck for some results. Looks like luck is frowned upon. I dont mind how we win personally but each to their own.

A fair comment.

Many having a pop at Bruce for relying on luck for some results. Looks like luck is frowned upon. I dont mind how we win personally but each to their own.

It's almost like we didn't fluke our way through a season that earned Alan Pardew an eight year contract that's only about to end.

There are a number of deficiencies in the playing squad notably the loss of Perez and Rondon, which meant we should have been expecting to be languishing right at the bottom. Yes on paper we could have lost many more games and overall over the course of the season I think he has generally made the right decisions given the poor hand he had.

Obviously don’t want him here next season but he’s done the most important thing really, he gave the club an extra year to get the takeover done, and he got us into a position that made us look investable in March - something Rafa didn’t because we were always a bit to close to the bottom to attract serious buyers.

I mean, luck is frowned upon, you’re supposed to get results based on what you actually do.

Is there a manager who hasnt relied on luck at some point to get results? If not then why hold it against Bruce?

Over a season you make your own luck

I mean, luck is frowned upon, you’re supposed to get results based on what you actually do.

Is there a manager who hasnt relied on luck at some point to get results? If not then why hold it against Bruce?

Luck runs out.  If that's the only thing you have going for you when it does then you're fucked.

Luck runs out.  If that's the only thing you have going for you when it does then you're fucked.

So they say, but it's why he'll be gone at the end of the season when we have new owners anyway.

Can't understand anyone who looks solely at a result and completely disregards how it was obtained. No context, no story, no background nothing. Just check the result after 90 mins and ignores everything else.

It boils down to how much credit you give to Bruce for the good results, personally I think an awful lot of the good results are down to luck rather than the tactical acumen and guidance of Bruce. People will agree or disagree and that's fair enough. His results since he started managing would suggest he's not very good at his job though.

I'll give him credit for squad morale though, they look a happy and committed bunch. He can have that.

A fair comment.

Now this is where I differ. I've always preferred to enjoy watching football. Winning dirty (or luckily) every single time we win just isn't enjoyable, especially considering how shit we are when we draw or lose.

Some of Rafa's football was exactly the same early on, and I remember being criticised on here for having a negative view on it (I do understand why he did it, before anyone goes back to that). But he found a formula which started to make us worth watching again. Maybe Bruce has found that too, I don't know, but there's nothing on his CV to suggest that we're suddenly going to become a really good team to watch under him.

A fair comment.

Now this is where I differ. I've always preferred to enjoy watching football. Winning dirty (or luckily) every single time we win just isn't enjoyable, especially considering how shit we are when we draw or lose.

Some of Rafa's football was exactly the same early on, and I remember being criticised on here for having a negative view on it (I do understand why he did it, before anyone goes back to that). But he found a formula which started to make us worth watching again. Maybe Bruce has found that too, I don't know, but there's nothing on his CV to suggest that we're suddenly going to become a really good team to watch under him.

We won't, because Bruce's crap. He'll be gone at the end of the season.

I'm not arsed how we win, I don't give a crap about "xG" stats or anything alike. As long as we win, I don't care. I'm not going to lose sleep over how we had to rely on Dubravka to make X amount of saves in order for us to get a result.

No, but the stats help you work out whether it's skill or luck. If you only judge things on results, you might not appreciate what's really going on. You can be bad and still win, but that might not be sustainable.

well put - what was that period where we were picking results with our defenders scoring random goals as we were dicked off the pitch in most games?  he doesn't "deserve credit" for that because winning games by having your defenders score all the goals isn't a tactical plan, it was f***ing luck :lol:

12 goals conceded in 15 home isn't purely down to luck man. f***ing hell  :lol: :lol:

not sure what point you think you're making, he stuck to rafa's system in order to keep games tight and as a result we couldn't score for s***

if you think steve bacon is the brains behind that defensive organisation and dubravka playing out of his skin you need help

Might as well just had a f***ing crash test dummy in the dugout then? This f***ing board man.  :lol:

Well we can have a look at some stats can’t we? This great defensive record has Dubs with the highest number of saves in the league and also we have the 4th highest shots faced per game behind villa, Bournemouth and Norwich lol. Is that sustainable? Could you tell me what positions those three are in the league?

19thb in goals from open play

Shots on target we are 17th

15th in shots per game

Counter attack goals 19th

2nd in set piece goals (very sustainable to get all your goal from set plays And defenders)

All these things are telling you where we really should be.

Through balls per game

19th

Short passes

19th

Crosses 18th

It’s all here if you want to check it:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/7811/Stages/17590/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2019-2020

Can you tell me the common numbers amongst those stats? They are bottom of the league numbers

I'd be interested to see how this compares to last season.

There are a number of deficiencies in the playing squad notably the loss of Perez and Rondon, which meant we should have been expecting to be languishing right at the bottom. Yes on paper we could have lost many more games and overall over the course of the season I think he has generally made the right decisions given the poor hand he had.

Obviously don’t want him here next season but he’s done the most important thing really, he gave the club an extra year to get the takeover done, and he got us into a position that made us look investable in March - something Rafa didn’t because we were always a bit to close to the bottom to attract serious buyers.

I think those ‘deficiencies’ could have been rectified early on if we’d stuck with Almiron on the left and ASM on the right either side of Joelinton. Not saying we’d have been great but you saw with the chances we were creating with a natural left footer left (and Almiron for the third goal), and right footer on the right that it was better.

No, but the stats help you work out whether it's skill or luck. If you only judge things on results, you might not appreciate what's really going on. You can be bad and still win, but that might not be sustainable.

well put - what was that period where we were picking results with our defenders scoring random goals as we were dicked off the pitch in most games?  he doesn't "deserve credit" for that because winning games by having your defenders score all the goals isn't a tactical plan, it was f***ing luck :lol:

12 goals conceded in 15 home isn't purely down to luck man. f***ing hell  :lol: :lol:

not sure what point you think you're making, he stuck to rafa's system in order to keep games tight and as a result we couldn't score for s***

if you think steve bacon is the brains behind that defensive organisation and dubravka playing out of his skin you need help

Might as well just had a f***ing crash test dummy in the dugout then? This f***ing board man.  :lol:

Well we can have a look at some stats can’t we? This great defensive record has Dubs with the highest number of saves in the league and also we have the 4th highest shots faced per game behind villa, Bournemouth and Norwich lol. Is that sustainable? Could you tell me what positions those three are in the league?

19thb in goals from open play

Shots on target we are 17th

15th in shots per game

Counter attack goals 19th

2nd in set piece goals (very sustainable to get all your goal from set plays And defenders)

All these things are telling you where we really should be.

Through balls per game

19th

Short passes

19th

Crosses 18th

It’s all here if you want to check it:

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/7811/Stages/17590/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2019-2020

Can you tell me the common numbers amongst those stats? They are bottom of the league numbers

I'd be interested to see how this compares to last season.

Shots pg 13th

On target pg 16th

Shots conceded per game 12th highest

11th in goals from open play

17th for counter attack

16th set peices

Crosses pg 6th

through ball per game 12th

short passes 18

As you can see we look about where you would expect us to on last season's stats.

The Almiron signing transformed us last season.  First half of the season wasn't great, second half we were the fifth best team in the land or something.