Joelinton

Stifler

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

If this is more or less how he will play going forward, then he’s our box to box destroyer and ball carrier we’ve desperately needed. 

Put him next to a pure defensive holder (Kamara) and another 8 with more creative abilities and you’ve got a formidable trio. 

This likely brings the best out of Willock too who will be glancing into the box with late runs. 

Yeah, Vieira used to play alongside a defensive midfielder in Petit, obviously games moved on but Kamara looks the perfect ball playing partner for him.

Where this leaves Joe Willock now is another matter.

He did absolutely everything yesterday. Even tight control, turns, spread play out wide. Held ball for a second or two, get runners to advance. Held ball, turned, quick pass short and receive and switch play.

Just now, Whitley mag said:

Yeah, Vieira used to play alongside a defensive midfielder in Petit, obviously games moved on but Kamara looks the perfect ball playing partner for him.

Where this leaves Joe Willock now is another matter.

like I said, this is probably what Willock needed. He’s a goal scoring counter attacking pressing player. He can carry well too. 

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

He did absolutely everything yesterday. Even tight control, turns, spread play out wide. Held ball for a second or two, get runners to advance. Held ball, turned, quick pass short and receive and switch play.

He actually showed a lot of those technical qualities even when he was playing up front, just he had no real striker's instinct so a lot of his good work led to nothing as there was nothing in front of him. 

In midfield, suddenly he's got plenty of options and inevitably he's picking the right passes after holding the ball successfully under pressure. 

2 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Fucking hell. What a force. Absolutely love a soul-crushing box-to-box midfielder.

I truly hope he has found his natural position. Cause the performance from him the last games he has been in CM he has been doing all we have missed for a long long time. And my god its fun to see a BBM in the modern game

4 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

The point being that if we bring in a quality left back and defensive midfielder (which we are all hoping for in this window) I’m not sure if there is a place or need for him in the team. He isn’t going to be played as a left winger and he isn’t creative enough to be a central midfielder once the defensive frailties have been addressed.

It’s a tricky one but he is currently making a stronger claim for a starting place than Willock. However do Willocks abilities start to show more once he isn’t asked to defend as much?

For him to drop out the team we would need to sign 3 top class midfielders though and for them to all hit the ground running. And even then he still starts if he continues on like this.

God knows what we would have to pay to get an upgrade on what we've seen from him recently[emoji38]

21 minutes ago, TRon said:

He actually showed a lot of those technical qualities even when he was playing up front, just he had no real striker's instinct so a lot of his good work led to nothing as there was nothing in front of him. 

In midfield, suddenly he's got plenty of options and inevitably he's picking the right passes after holding the ball successfully under pressure. 

It's a bit more complicated than that for me. Playing as a striker he often appeared to shy away from a battle and just showed absolutely no desire to get himself in the 6 yard box and fight the opposition's center backs. I find it astonishing to see how combative he is in midfield all of a sudden. For some reason he must have found it really hard to deal with the burden of being the lad relied upon to put the ball in the net, whereas he appears to know absolutely no fear in midfield.

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

It's a bit more complicated than that for me. Playing as a striker he often appeared to shy away from a battle and just showed absolutely no desire to get himself in the 6 yard box and fight the opposition's center backs. I find it astonishing to see how combative he is in midfield all of a sudden. For some reason he must have found it really hard to deal with the burden of being the lad relied upon to put the ball in the net, whereas he appears to know absolutely no fear in midfield.

I put that down to not really relishing the goal scoring part. I think he's much happier holding the ball and playing people in, don't think he relished the expectation of goals at all. Especially since he doesn't strike the ball particularly well. 

The thing I'm so amazed at him is, he used to be a weak, clumsy and bumbling Brazillian. Couldn't control the ball, couldn't pick out a pass and in most games, he'd fall over or tackled so easily, he goes up whining like that Portugese tart did last night.

Now, it's is as if all those weaknesses has been sucked out of him. He can hold up the ball, control it, pass it accurately and can even slip in a nutmeg or two. What the fuck did Bruce feed this guy with previously?

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Oooh Joelinton

He’s Brazillian

He only cost £40m

And we think he’s fucking brilliant

*he's Brazilian 

He only cost 40 million

We think he's fucking brilliant 

Jooooeeeelinton

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Is it really? :lol: That’s what I heard, albeit through the TV.

edit - ah, just seen @Scoot’s above.

There was a lad sat behind me singing a version not too dissimilar to yours at the match yesterday, like, so it's lost in translation easily in person as well as on the telly. :lol:

The bloke beside me hasn't got a clue what the words are. Every time the song starts I can see him listening intensely trying to work out what people are saying. He's asked me at the last 2 home games, I've spoken the words to him but like me, he's always half cut at the match so he still hasn't grasped it.[emoji38]

There was always a player in there, even his most ardent supporters were beginning to give up hope we’d ever see him do it for us.

But what a turnaround.

It’s not just down to being played deeper, it’s about confidence too. The kid was hung out to dry repeatedly by Bruce, asked to do something that’s not his thing and he got plenty of stick from the home support. No matter how much you earn a week that must be absolutely shite to endure week in week out.

He’s enjoying it now, I think his grasp of the language is helping too and he’s found his voice on the pitch, actually looks like future captain material.

We haven’t seen the best of him yet which is a scary prospect.