Joelinton

Stifler

14 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

He's running players into the ground, taking no accountability for it and then lying to the fans. 

I'm sorry MrRaspberryJam but that just sounds like management speak. You hate that.

Joelinton injury history:

39165272644f4670007d73fbe8b6ae16.thumb.png.0e9c5e02d858798405f36dd14c4a8175.png

Willock:

b707367b6a469fb9cc119355e43f9b70.thumb.png.f81814b34f909da917ff18e8dc199a6f.png

Isak:

e572214e8dd201dc61612b6af4df78d7.thumb.png.10469ea8f1589f144c78e19588317842.png

Historically these rarely got injuries, let alone serious ones. Joelintons muscular injuries from this season are worse than any other muscular injury he has ever had before this season.

Edited by Erikse

5 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I'm sorry MrRaspberryJam but that just sounds like management speak. You hate that.

Well you're not looking at the whole pie Pilko. Newcastle Utd is one big pie, and if they've let Eddie in charge of that one big pie, then he'll be in charge of the pie, and the players are the fruit

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Willock:

Isak:

Historically these rarely got injuries, let alone serious ones. Joelintons muscular injuries from this season are worse than any other muscular injury he has ever had before this season.

Without a doubt, there’s been major failings with the medical department. I’m not talking about the injury lay off periods but the bringing people back too soon, Murphy included. 

Players like Burn have talked about coming back too early themselves. I think Howe has to take a small amount of responsibility too but the issue sits with the medical team / physios 

He talked about the length of time Murphy potentially being back the said Barnes would be longer. I’m not the best at maths like…! It just sounds like he’s being super cautious with Barnes following the set-back he had earlier whereas with Murphy it pretty much sounds like based on the results of his scan he could be back sooner. 

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Willock:

Isak:

Historically these rarely got injuries, let alone serious ones.

To play devil's advocate.  I think there are a few explainable reasons for the injuries. 

Joelinton has beefed up considerably and now plays in a very demanding role.  He played through a number of injuries last season and always seems to be carrying knocks and niggles.  I feel like he has been rushed back a couple of times this season.

Willock barely played before joining us.  He was never a regular at Arsenal and was usually coming off the bench or starting cup games, from memory.  Also felt like he was rushed back this season and played too many games close together.  Due to how light on numbers we were. 

Isak has certainly been injury prone since joining.  But I think that is understandable looking at his frame and the role he is now playing in Howe's system.  Again, he looked like he was unable to sprint for 5-6 games when he came back from injury.  Before that, he was playing strapped up and seemed to only be playing because Wilson was injured.

The recurring theme seems to be players coming back early from injuries.  Then breaking down again with another injury or reaggravating the same injury.  I kind of understand it as we have been so short of players at times this season.  But hardly working out in the long run, as we are in a similar position months later.  Howe didn't rotate much when he had the chance and the players we have on the bench are not up to standard.  So no way they are getting on.

Hopefully plenty of lessons learned.

half the team were playing with injuries last season, Joelinton in particular, so it's no surprise it's come back to haunt us/him.

from what I know, the decision to play injured comes from the player themselves, going against the medical teams advice, so make of that what you will. maybe Howe and his staff need to put their foot down and not let them play, but with such a limited squad it's not that straight forward. I don't think blame lies with one particular party.

it is what it is, we got a top 4 finish because of it and some amazing memories. probably justified if you ask me. a stronger squad alleviates most of these issues. so if you're looking to blame something, blame FFP and the Super League 6.

This is just utterly depressing. I've never in 30+ years of following us ever known us or any other club have this many long-term injuries to first team players in the same season, and we're only just over half way through it.

It's beyond a joke now. I don't blame anyone, not really, I'm not in a position to make that decision. But this is unprecedented and just not funny anymore.

Nobody seems to get a knock and miss a match. Everyone is out for between a month and half a season. Nobody ever seems to return.

1 hour ago, Big River said:

half the team were playing with injuries last season, Joelinton in particular, so it's no surprise it's come back to haunt us/him.

from what I know, the decision to play injured comes from the player themselves, going against the medical teams advice, so make of that what you will. maybe Howe and his staff need to put their foot down and not let them play, but with such a limited squad it's not that straight forward. I don't think blame lies with one particular party.

it is what it is, we got a top 4 finish because of it and some amazing memories. probably justified if you ask me. a stronger squad alleviates most of these issues. so if you're looking to blame something, blame FFP and the Super League 6.

Man City has way more depth, but has obviously been suffering a little bit due to de Bruynes absence. He has now been training for a month. Here's what Guardiola said some days ago:

“The quality and potential is there. A big injury, concerned the most to try to avoid it. Be careful with minutes.

“[He will say] ‘I want to play’ but we have to be careful.

“Speak with him and with the physios and the guys who knows the best process for his minutes. Kevin needs to accumulate weeks with training sessions, weeks and minutes. Four, five, six sessions in a row.

“Minutes again, one day 90 minutes and training good. That's the best for Kevin.”

What I read from this is that the player unsurprisingly wants to play, but the manager (and the medical staff?) wants to be more careful. Guardiola is known for being very careful with rushing players back. This was a pretty serious injury though, so I understand that it's not exactly the same. But you could compare it to Willock perhaps?

Edited by Erikse

The players play in an incredibly demanding system and have logged a ton of work between last season and now. The injuries look magnified because they all occurred one after another, the rushing back thing is probably a 50/50 thing between the player and coaching staff making a determination based on the fixtures and the lack of depth and then there’s the sheer shit luck of the whole thing that we didn’t actually have to deal with last season. 

Just crap luck and annoying imho, just before everyone starts going all bezerk in here, if nobody was rushed back and we were forced to play kids and got turnt over multiple times you’d be a upset for that reason too. 

22 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Without a doubt, there’s been major failings with the medical department. I’m not talking about the injury lay off periods but the bringing people back too soon, Murphy included. 

Players like Burn have talked about coming back too early themselves. I think Howe has to take a small amount of responsibility too but the issue sits with the medical team / physios 

Just to play devils advocate... why can we say without a doubt there's been failings within the medical department? Your criticism here perhaps fails to address the power structure and decision making on matchdays.  Since the dawn of time I rather suspect there has been conflict between managers wanting their best players available and medical departments urging caution. 

45 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye. We could use Hall in there possibly I guess if he doesn't want to change formation, I just worry about having to play Miley first-choice for another 6 weeks.

That also doesn't seem likely :lol:

I remember having one or two mini-rows last season when I argued that I would rather play our full strength team in the league against - for example - Brentford away and de-prioritise the CL and cups if need be, to ensure long term success. It didn't really occur to me we were just going to play our first 11 in every single match!

2 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Just to play devils advocate... why can we say without a doubt there's been failings within the medical department? Your criticism here perhaps fails to address the power structure and decision making on matchdays.  Since the dawn of time I rather suspect there has been conflict between managers wanting their best players available and medical departments urging caution. 

Fair point really, I’m basing this off complete outsider information. I just think the fact we’ve had Isak, Jow, Willock, Murphy and Wilson (he’s not the same as the others) all break down after injury returns there has to be some significant failing there from the medical team. Burn coming back earlier than he should have done is clearly a Howe decision the way it was worded. 

4 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Ironic this all occurring after we upgraded the rehab areas too 

So you're saying we should blame the architects?

Just now, buzz said:

"Six weeks" sounds like Howe speak again, original Willock injury esque stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if that's his season done

Think he said at least 6 weeks in the presser so already lowering expectations on return date which hopefully means they starting to learn their lesson on line between gamesmanship and unrealistic expectation setting. 

38 minutes ago, Big River said:

I've heard different.

Watching injured players hobble around the pitch for 90 mins (where Howe definitely has responsibility) leads me to believe this.

Just now, buzz said:

"Six weeks" sounds like Howe speak again, original Willock injury esque stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if that's his season done

I’d be surprised to see Willock back this season and am skeptical about Barnes playing more than a handful of games before discovering he needs surgery.

Anderson has showed himself to be about as robust as bone china which is ironic given he never got injured in the rough and tumble of League 2 when on loan at Bristol Rovers.

I do think Howe should have taken Isak, Gordon and Trippier off at times this season as a way of reducing the likelihood of injuries. Trippier seems to be made of hard stuff and doesn’t break down much. However, Gordon’s looked close to breaking down and Isak was playing for weeks without being close to being fit