Joelinton

Stifler

In all honesty, if we’re winning shitloads of trophies and are England’s best club side then I’ll start thinking about players being irreplaceable.  We’re an upper mid table side at present - I’m confident that most of our players fit in the ‘replaceable’ camp. 

£40m would be a bargain. Very unique player (in a positive sense) we won't be able to replace. There is a theoretical possibility that we could improve on him, but that would require a change in our playing system. He is tailor made for the LCM spot the way we play.

1 minute ago, Conjo said:

£40m would be a bargain. Very unique player (in a positive sense) we won't be able to replace. There is a theoretical possibility that we could improve on him, but that would require a change in our playing system. He is tailor made for the LCM spot the way we play.

I still hold that he doesn’t look particularly good at LCM.  Looks far better LW.  Problem is that his output isn’t spectacular 

I love Joelinton but I don’t think top teams would be in for him. In terms of club he would probably need to take a step down, even if at higher wages. 

I really hope we do a deal anyway, of course. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I love the bloke personally, but ultimately my emotional attachment is to NUFC.  He’s in the ‘happy if he stays, shrug of shoulders if he goes (provided it’s for good money)’ category for me

Same here, I actually think he brings a lot to the game, but that can't disguise he's not on a par with elite midfield players for technical ability, although that's by no means bad either. I think he has far better close control than for example Longstaff.

But we need to be careful overpaying salaries because we get emotionally attached to players, quite often when you overpay, it's not that easy to move them on to other clubs who don't have an emotional attachment. He needs to be paid what he's worth, but also with the understanding that we might buy a better replacement which would then make him a squad player, albeit a very valuable one.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

In all honesty, if we’re winning shitloads of trophies and are England’s best club side then I’ll start thinking about players being irreplaceable.  We’re an upper mid table side at present - I’m confident that most of our players fit in the ‘replaceable’ camp. 

I get what you're saying but I think we'd have to annihilate our budget in order to replace what Big Joe gives us. He's the most physical, most versatile and arguably the most tactically astute player in the squad. Plus he's 5-10 goals a season on top of everything else he gives us in terms of physicality.

It's really important that we keep him imo. No one's gonna make a huge offer for him when his contract situation is vulnerable. 

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I get what you're saying but I think we'd have to annihilate our budget in order to replace what Big Joe gives us. He's the most physical, most versatile and arguably the most tactically astute player in the squad. Plus he's 5-10 goals a season on top of everything else he gives us in terms of physicality.

It's really important that we keep him imo. No one's gonna make a huge offer for him when his contract situation is vulnerable. 

Yeah, I don’t think he’d be easy to replace - he’s a good footballer with some considerable strengths as a player.  If we got £40m back though, then we’d surely consider it - it would be a serious boost to who we could bring in.

I’d absolutely be happy to see him sign a new deal and stay with us - I love the fact that he’s gone from a figure of fun (and a genuinely contender for the worst Newcastle no.9 I’ve seen - and in terms of transfer cost, pound for pound he definitely is) to one of the first names on the team sheet and someone who I love watching play.  He’s brave and 100% committed to everything; hard without being nasty; more talented than he appears (his close ball control is far better than he is credited with by many). 

He’s replaceable, but not easily so.  If he goes, I’m happy to trust that the club will have already identified replacements (I’m sure they have lists for all positions / players). 

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Everything you're saying is right. But I just always have this question in my mind - is our midfield (which, injuries aside, is pretty stacked) good enough to win the league? If not, realistically, certain well loved players will have to go if we want to improve and they don't want to spend the best years of their career in Matt Richie's role. So it's going to come down to questions like Big Joe vs. Little Joe sooner than we'd like.

I’m not particularly worried about this, it’s normal to have high demands at the start of a negotiation. I expect in the end he’ll stay and everyone will be happy.

1 hour ago, huss9 said:

Those saying he wants parity with Bruno obviously are just guessing, unless Dick Gomez is on here.

Both Keith Downie / Craig Hope have been quoted as saying he wants to be the highest earner at the club 

Both on video / You tube channels 

32 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Both Keith Downie / Craig Hope have been quoted as saying he wants to be the highest earner at the club 

hmmm.

so is that being leaked by his agent or someone negotiating at the club?

I hope he stays but wouldn't push the boat out for him, think the club is due a certain amount of loyalty from him despite his right to maximise his earnings. Think he can go up another level as a player with the right coaching, get the feeling he's still learning his trade as a midfielder. His link up play with Bruno is superb and one of his main strengths so if Bruno goes does that diminish his value for us? Could see a big stylistic shift in midfield if that did happen.

I’d have him a rung below Bruno, Isak and Trippier in regards to wages. Assuming they are our highest earners, of course. But I do think he is worth being next best when it comes to his salary. 

He is such a unique player and I feel

he has quite a few intangibles that wouldn’t necessarily appear on a stats sheet. If we are going to continue with this midfield set up. He needs to stay here, IMO. 

If we want to evolve and genuinely become a more technical, possession based side. Which Howe has alluded to. Then I could certainly see him moving on if his demands are fairly high. 

2 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

I wish I could believe they knew anything. 

He's alleged to be on close to 85k now, I think that's pretty good tbf.

But with Matt Targett alleged to be on 100k, you can see why players think they deserve more.

Edited by mighty__mag

Is he fuck worth £160k a week though. He wouldn't get anywhere near that at any other club.

I reckon he'll end up staying with a slight pay increase and maybe a nice little release clause for if Real Madrid ([emoji38]) come calling.

He's 28 in August, so he's likely thinking this is his last BIG contract, and his agents getting greedy. Zero chance he can become the highest earner at the club, Isak should then snap be knocking on the door for a pay rise, likely along with a few others forming a queue behind him. Hope he stays, but if he wants to leave wish him well and be on his way. If there's just one thing I'd like us to copy from City's approach it would be that, anyone who wants to leave can, don't ever get desperate and overpay. 

Nagelsmann loved him and was going to take him to Leipzig with him before we came in for him I remember reading.

I could also see a manager like Simeone signing him for Atletico, as well as a number of Italian teams.

In a team with more quality around him, where he could keep things simpler he'd look even better.

Joelinton is invaluable. 100% commitment and follows tactical instructions to a tee. If we make him available people would be shocked at the teams that show interest and the price they'd be willing to pay I think.

Edited by KaKa

Sorry, as much as I love Big Jo, he can’t expect to be our highest earner. His game is limited, it’s very important but, it’s still limited. He still can’t hit a barn door with a banjo. I’m expecting the complete midfielder for the supposed wages he’s after.

44 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Nagelsmann loved him and was going to take him to Leipzig with him before we came in for him I remember reading.

I could also see a manager like Simeone signing him for Atletico, as well as a number of Italian teams.

In a team with more quality around him, where he could keep things simpler he'd look even better.

Joelinton is invaluable. 100% commitment and follows tactical instructions to a tee. If we make him available people would be shocked at the teams that show interest and the price they'd be willing to pay I think.

Which of those clubs can afford his wage demands then?