Joelinton

Stifler

5 minutes ago, tgarve said:

This is a pretty stupid comment - it’s a sensible comment but it isn’t the law, you can drive after 1 drink legally and it wouldn’t affect a person either.

Well the law is stupid. It totally depends on the person. 

4 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3127271/

Article from 2011 re.  Brazil driving laws: “Brazil is one of a handful of countries that has gone beyond the maximum recommended blood-alcohol concentration limit to institute a stricter limit for the general population,” says Alison Harvey, a road safety expert at the World Health Organization (WHO). “It’s an indication that drink-driving is taken seriously as an important problem.”

https://www.army.mil/article/232252/dont_let_a_dui_make_your_tour_in_germany_a_bad_trip#:~:text=Germany has strict drunk driving,license%2C for a first offense.

Article on Germany's drink driving laws: "Germany has strict drunk driving laws. A Blood Alcohol Content of 0.05% can result in a 500 Euro fine, a one-month driving suspension and a two-point reduction on a driver's license, for a first offense"

Aye Joelinton must have grown up that it was OK to get behind the wheel after a skin full.

The very first sentence of your article on Brazil

“Despite a longstanding commitment to improving road safety, Brazil’s numerous initiatives have suffered from weak enforcement.“

The law and the general morale compass of a country is a complete separate thing. I can tell you it’s absolutely standard, and no one would bat an eye if you had 3 drinks and drove in the US. 

I’ll reiterate that it’s not something I would do, but it’s absolutely common as muck over here and no one really cares. 

3 minutes ago, Manxst said:

This is a bit daft too. Drink affects everyone differently and someone could have ‘one’ and be very drunk (just as someone else could have more and be fine). Depends on tolerances, tiredness, body composition/weight, other food and drink consumed and various other things. The issue being that having ‘one’ and driving isn’t illegal- BUT you have to take responsibility and know how it affects you after that. 

Agreed 

The life-risking stuff is a bit OTT until we know that he was genuinely impaired. There can be a difference between what your body is perfectly able to do with a certain amount in your system vs the point at which the law (necessarily) draws a mathematical line. 

The stupidity is, absent further information, needlessly attracting negative headlines. It’s not beyond the realm of reason that he thought, for example, 3 beers is fine to drive on. None of us know what he knows or what his physical reactions to different quantities of alcohol are.

I expect he’ll miss a match and get fined if Howe is of the view that he knew, or should have known, better and that will be case closed in public. 

Edited by Theregulars

What's 43 likely to be? I know it affects everyone differently. Can't imagine Joelinton is a big drinker. Large glass and a half of wine? Three pints?

It's really really poor either way. It's daft and it's dangerous but I am relieved that he's not been absolutely plastered. Big difference imo

5 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Good for you fella,

He deserves to lose a lot of respect for this , I just think there’s a difference between driving after say 10 pints or 2 glasses of wine. You may agree or disagree. 

Hopefully he gets whatever help is required here 

There is a difference but they both have something in common, they’re both too much in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

There is a difference but they both have something in common, they’re both too much in my opinion.

i appreciate your view like , for me there’s a definite difference in severity and stupidity whilst both being morally wrong 

I find it quite interesting the difference in attitudes between drink-driving, no matter the margin of how 'over' you are, and speeding and phone use while driving, which seem far more commonly accepted.

No defence of Joe mind, he should definitely have booked a taxi and waited for his 20p change like every other professional footballer.

Might be good if club nips it in the bud now if it's common knowledge and just state they're aware and dealing with it in house.

When's he's charged release whatever punishments/training they've dished down.

Disappointing to have a speed bump at such a high moment for the club. Very stupid of him to put himself and potentially any others in that position.

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

In all seriousness he's an idiot. Obviously never worth driving after even one 

While I get that, how long do you wait ? I'm not using that to justify him by the way, just as someone who works Sunday mornings I regularly think that when I see people driving about possibly after a heavy night before thinking they've had a night's sleep and are OK.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Club need to have policy for this. Full stop. A car service or driver on speed dial. All the time. 

Providing car service or driver on speed dial wouldn't exactly send the right message though, would it? :lol:

3 minutes ago, Ste said:

I find it quite interesting the difference in attitudes between drink-driving, no matter the margin of how 'over' you are, and speeding and phone use while driving, which seem far more commonly accepted.

No defence of Joe mind, he should definitely have booked a taxi and waited for his 20p change like every other professional footballer.

I did some very complicated calculations, and going off google he comes home with something like £6,100 a day. It seems absolutely feasible for someone like that to have a person they can pay £200 to who basically just follows them like a little lapdog for 4 hours on a night out. Get your drinks, drive you home, lie to the missus, the standard 'reliable mate' stuff, but in a nice paid slavey kind of way. You don't even have to call a taxi and talk to the BLOKE behind the wheel. Your little errand boy is already sat in your lambo waiting at the door, revving it to make you look nails, but he's sober. Job done.

But it's obviously this isn't commonplace for some reason. Might be a (very limited) business opportunity for someone here.