Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Lose, lose situation for wingers and wide midfielders. They get far more stick than most for just doing what they are meant to be doing ie. Get past their man and provide assists. But if they don't do those things and just play it safe and pass sideways or backwards they then get labelled as boring or too defensively minded.

I do think it just comes with the territory for these kinds of players and ofcourse any player will get more abuse when we aren't winning and the team isn't doing well. One thing is for certain, ASM is arguably the one player we have (Bruno aside) that ANY team in the Prem would take. He is as exciting as any player in the league and provides more entertainment for the supporters than most other players in our team combined. If he isn't still here in 3/4 seasons then I will be very disappointed.

38 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I genuinely don't understand how people forget how little he started and how often he was thrown on the pitch with 10 mins to go.  

We literally had a Che Guevara mock up of him it got so blatant ffs.  

Using Pardews poor decisions to prove some point? [emoji38] Was absolutely criminal that he was on the bench

Pretty sure I made a post on here years ago looking at that period like, it was something like 2-3 months of Pardew saying he wasn't fit, Hatem saying "here mate, I'm fine" and looking our best player during some of the short spells he was allowed.

Pretty sure his first (or one of the first) game back was against Man City and he looked sharp as fuck.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

11 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Lose, lose situation for wingers and wide midfielders. They get far more stick than most for just doing what they are meant to be doing ie. Get past their man and provide assists. But if they don't do those things and just play it safe and pass sideways or backwards they then get labelled as boring or too defensively minded.

I do think it just comes with the territory for these kinds of players and ofcourse any player will get more abuse when we aren't winning and the team isn't doing well. One thing is for certain, ASM is arguably the one player we have (Bruno aside) that ANY team in the Prem would take. He is as exciting as any player in the league and provides more entertainment for the supporters than most other players in our team combined. If he isn't still here in 3/4 seasons then I will be very disappointed.

Maybe back in the 70s they could get away with just beating their defender and providing assists. Wingers/wide midfielders now have to do so much more,  its about possession, the build, the tracking, the blocking of channels. Just like full backs have to he so much better in possession than just someone who defends.

Edited by madras

7 hours ago, KaKa said:

Genuinely don't understand how anyone can forget the sort of things he was doing on the pitch for Newcastle. Watching those clips over again, no one in the current team can touch the guy. I actually find the argument hilarious.

How often did he put in performances of the calibre of ASM against Everton would you say? 

11 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Pretty sure I made a post on here years ago looking at that period like, it was something like 2-3 months of Pardew saying he wasn't fit, Hatem saying "here mate, I'm fine" and looking our best player during some of the short spells he was allowed.

Pretty sure his first (or one of the first) game back was against Man City and he looked sharp as fuck.

3-FB975-FA-83-E1-487-F-B372-15-D6-CCB077

1 hour ago, Pardiola said:

What tickles me about this debate is thinking about what Sunderland’s alternative would be.

A little while back, at work we had a best XI we'd seen from our clubs that we actually witnessed. None of theirs would make our first XI. Philips maybe getting a subs role in the reserves if very generous.

I saw an all time eleven that Sunderland fans had voted on a few years ago, it was so poor. Cloggers like Bardsley and Nosworthy and Cattermoke were in it. Strike force of Quinn and Phillips was decent, but those two were the only real players of quality in the whole team.

I used to love that sort of thing, but I dunno if it's reached saturation point, I've reached saturation point, or I'm just getting older. 

I don't think I believe anyone's really knowledgable or insightful until I've heard them talk about Newcastle, because quite often it's clear that they don't know what they're talking about. Gary Neville has been especially guilty of this and it does make me wonder whether the same applies to other clubs. Tifo, HITC, James Lawrence, and a fair few journalists on TFS and other podcasts have all done it too. It makes me think that a huge part of it with a lot of them is just blagging and relying on the majority of the audience being blaggers too, similar to TalkSport. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Yassassin said:

Micah Richards gave a pretty good right back opinion of ASM and a piece about our press on last night’s MOTD. Brief but insightful 

Please feel free to share if you have the time ?

ASM

15 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Please feel free to share if you have the time ?

was the best player on the park for him, impossible to mark as he can go inside or outside so there’s no place to show him, has incredibly quick feet and is moving to another level. Fast and physically strong; Richards is a fan, it’s fair to say

The piece about the press is best watched

6 hours ago, Bompeter said:

How often did he put in performances of the calibre of ASM against Everton would you say? 

Regularly, before Pardew got jealous of all the adulation he was getting.

This guy came in on his full debut and won the game at Everton with a fantastic showing right off the bat, and an exceptional goal.