Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Speaking as someone who basically checked out of football for 10 years until recently, he reminds me of a high quality Lua Lua. That's not the insult some might take it as.

I've seen lengthy interviews with him where he talks about feeling solely responsible for making goals for the team due to (the lack of) what was around him. I respect that, and he was probably right to think that way. But he needs to grow out of that mentality for his own sake now.

It looks like teams have gotten wiser to him, keeping a player trailing just behind him ready to snatch his inevitable cut back from his blind spot. I'd like to see him stop automatically progressing the ball forwards when he gets possession for a change and instead stay still and draw one or two players into a challenge, while his new teammates provide effective movement around him. We, and he, would benefit from it.

Straight out hate aside (assuming there is a lot of it on twitter), I don't feel it's too much to ask that he passes the ball more often and get up from his ass instead of sitting down and shouting to the ref while opposing team is counter attacking X times a game. Just by doing that he'd be a big improvement in general, not only the last few games.

4 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Straight out hate aside (assuming there is a lot of it on twitter), I don't feel it's too much to ask that he passes the ball more often and get up from his ass instead of sitting down and shouting to the ref while opposing team is counter attacking X times a game. Just by doing that he'd be a big improvement in general, not only the last few games.

Howe should just show ASM the 2nd half of the Everton game at St James and say - play like that, that's what we want you to do!

Edited by Awaymag

Hopefully the criticism has lit a fire under his arse. He needs to be better, especially if he wants to take his own game to the next level. That's not me slagging him off, he's a great talent, but performing once every what, 5 games? We need more. Again, just to reiterate, he's the least of our worries. Almiron, Murphy, Wood, all need to step up and deliver, or get out.

4 hours ago, RodneyCisse said:

The amount of results he’s got us in the past, everyone has short memories.

Said it numerous times but he performs well about once every five games, mainly because of his decision making and selfishness. For now, we can just about accept that as a bottom half team.

Will that be good enough next season, or the season after? Nah.

He’s a loveable maverick and does some brilliant charity and local work but he’s not going to last long. He’ll be off to Nice/Marseille or somewhere.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

1 minute ago, triggs said:

Performs well once every 5 games is just horseshit

His goal record this season of 1 in 5 and tracking back through his games this season seems to suggest it’s true.

Even during our run of good form I can only really pick out the Everton & Man Utd games where he was good.

Since Howe came in, those two games plus Brentford and maybe Norwich at home.

I can easily recall many more games where he’s been incredibly poor or completely uninterested: Liverpool, Villa, Man City, Cambridge, Arsenal, Leicester, cameos at Everton, Chelsea & Brighton.

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

His goal record this season of 1 in 5 and tracking back through his games this season seems to suggest it’s true.

Even during our run of good form I can only really pick out the Everton & Man Utd games where he was good.

I can easily recall many more games where he’s been incredibly poor or completely uninterested: Liverpool, Villa, Man City, Cambridge, Arsenal, Leicester, cameos at Everton, Chelsea & Brighton.

Forgot you had to score goals to play well

In my opinion, I'm not sure it's about just tracking back or scoring goals. It's a work ethic to be part of the team and show your teammates some respect.

Watch Salah, Mane or Luis Diaz, they loose the ball they are individually driven to get it back, for themselves and to help their team. It's a little selfish to only play or be arsed to play when you have the ball and you can try and dribble through the whole team like a kid on the school yard. 

There are less and less of these flair players that just perform solely on the ball, that day of football has gone, unfortunately.

I used to love HBA, I don't think Maxi is half the player he was. But I really admire his ability on the ball and I genuinely hope he wakes up the bigger picture. We need him and he could have a great career here and be even more worshipped, not a lot to ask to close down your full back occasionally and not sit on your arse for 5 minutes every time your tackled or things don't work out.

I don't think anyone has short memories, but it's sometimes hard to remember the 1 in 8 MOTM performances. The players I mention above do it week in week out and still don't talk about balon d'or. They just get on and do their shit.

Edited by Oregon_Geordie

For all the 'selfish' talk doesn't he have one of the highest chances created stats in the league? 

There's always a weird narrative around him. From faking injuries to not wanting to try because Bruce got binned or caring more about his board game. 

He's a raw talent that has essentially carried our whole attack and creativity since he's been here. He's going to have off days, it's normal. Even if the 1 in 5 good games rhetoric was true that was still have him miles ahead of the likes of Murphy and Almiron. 

Not sure anyone is comparing him to Miggy or Murphy. More so against what he can be, when he 'can' be arsed to be.

That's the dilemma...but it's pretty clear its the Maxi show and not the team for Maxi.

I doubt you'll see much of Miggy or Murphy after this season, wether or not Maxi joins them in a taxi, is more down to attitude than talent, pity as the two others have the opposite.

On the topic of team wide commitment and pressing. This is worth a watch.

Team identity > Individuals is why we turned the corner.

I'll say it again, I hope he can learn to be a better team player, pull his weight and be a star here.

It wouldn't take much.

3 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

He was the worst player on the pitch against Watford too.  Happened to score the goal and that's the conundrum with us and for managers.

The only other game I remember him playing up to the standards affixed to him in was against Leeds at home.

I'd go along with 1 in 5 too. Used to think once a month throughout his time here but that's still a lot more than most of his teammates pre Eddie so didn't feel a risk at all then.

Edited by Wolfcastle